Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

Discovering the Hell - The Invasion [+custom mp3]

Discovering the Hell - The Invasion (DTHTI) is my second wad, and consists of six levels with 15~25 minutos duration and 2 boss fight's levels (which one of them is secret).

The visuals are very simple being similar to the original Doom 2, with some tech and natural enviroments. However, the main focus is on design and gameplay, like the original iwads. The monsters are stronger and faster, since the levels were designed to play with mouse and keyboard, and you'll need to jump and crouch sometimes.

There's customs music i made for this wad, hope you like it! You can play it on gzdoom and zdoom.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9h7u37w5aturrz6

Video(first level):

Screens:

It looks good, but... 15,6 MB rar !?! With only 8 levels inside? My internet connection is bad, so I won't download it, sorry. Advice for you: Make wads with lesser file size. By using TEXTURES lump (in ZDoom) you can create new textures from the patches from DOOM2.WAD, which can save even hundreds of kilobytes in some cases.

my internet connections drills the heavens (citation needed) so i've downloaded, then i'll tell you about this the next time (so after i've played this mapset in a unspecified future...)

scifista42 said:

It looks good, but... 15,6 MB rar !?! With only 8 levels inside? My internet connection is bad, so I won't download it, sorry. Advice for you: Make wads with lesser file size. By using TEXTURES lump (in ZDoom) you can create new textures from the patches from DOOM2.WAD, which can save even hundreds of kilobytes in some cases.

Wow, 15mb is a lot for a wad, I agree, but I don't think should take much to download these days. (and my connection isn't really good too)

Anyway, the big size is because of the .mp3 songs, which are far bigger than .midi files (but has a much better sounding). If you want, I can upload a version without music (should have less than 2mb), although the experience will be compromised.

walter confalonieri said:

my internet connections drills the heavens (citation needed) so i've downloaded, then i'll tell you about this the next time (so after i've played this mapset in a unspecified future...)

Hope you like it! :D

My connection is now better :) and I downloaded the wad. (Btw, when I said "bad connection", I meant that the Doomworld titlepage was loading more than half a minute and immediately after I made the previous post, Internet Explorer crashed.)

Now about the wad. I've played only 2 levels yet. It's pretty hard with that fast monsters and I like it ;). Maybe you could add more health packages, I always play with 20 HP only. In the first level, I somehow missed the place with shotgun and I had to go back for it after I encountered demons. The secrets are very well hidden, I have found only one. The music is also very good - now I don't mind the 15 MB so much :D The only thing I didn't like was the stealth chaingunner at the end of first map - I hate stealth monsters. Was it an intention or was it supposed to be a normal chaingunner and you just confused spawn numbers?

What is a bit strange: the first level is called MAP02. I know you did it because of intermission texts, but there is a better way how to do that with MAPINFO. You don't have to name the levels MAP01, MAP02 etc., you can give it any name you want. You can do it for example like this:

---------------------------------------------------

clearepisodes

episode INTER1
name "DTHTI"

map INTER1 // the part before intermission text
cluster 1
nointermission
next MAP01

map MAP01 // the real level
cluster 2

That's what I can say for now. Really good project, I am enjoying playing it.

scifista42 said:

My connection is now better :) and I downloaded the wad. (Btw, when I said "bad connection", I meant that the Doomworld titlepage was loading more than half a minute and immediately after I made the previous post, Internet Explorer crashed.)

Now about the wad. I've played only 2 levels yet. It's pretty hard with that fast monsters and I like it ;). Maybe you could add more health packages, I always play with 20 HP only. In the first level, I somehow missed the place with shotgun and I had to go back for it after I encountered demons. The secrets are very well hidden, I have found only one. The music is also very good - now I don't mind the 15 MB so much :D The only thing I didn't like was the stealth chaingunner at the end of first map - I hate stealth monsters. Was it an intention or was it supposed to be a normal chaingunner and you just confused spawn numbers?

What is a bit strange: the first level is called MAP02. I know you did it because of intermission texts, but there is a better way how to do that with MAPINFO. You don't have to name the levels MAP01, MAP02 etc., you can give it any name you want. You can do it for example like this:

clearepisodes

episode INTER1
name "DTHTI"

map INTER1 // the part before intermission text
cluster 1
nointermission
next MAP01

map MAP01 // the real level
cluster 2

That's what I can say for now. Really good project, I am enjoying playing it.

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked it! =D

I've put more health in the levels now, almost duplicated the quantity. That's somehting I need to pay more attention, hope now the game flows better.

The stealth Chaingunner wasn´t intentional, fixed that. D= There's only one place that I put stealth monsters in purpose, but shouldn't give any trouble to player.

I will do that trick. When I made that intermission text, I searched a lot and didn´t found anything ** Thanks for the tip!

Oh, sorry. I wasn't playing for some time and I finished your wad (the older version) today.

I can say about the wad more or less the same that I said about the first 2 levels. I really liked the music (especially in 3rd map), but I don't think it's right when music takes 3/4 of size of your wad. Maybe create a wad with maps and a separated wad with music only and let the player to decide if he want to download the music wad or not - and another advantage is that the music wad can be run with other (your) wads as well.

The later levels were even more difficult. I found it a challenge, but some parts would be almost impossible if you haven't found the BFG in the secret level. I am not sure if it was the only BFG in the game, was it? But you said you added more health in the newer version, so I hope it will be better. Another note about the secret level: the Mastermind had too much health and you don't have BFG yet. I let him fight with all other monsters, then I shot all my plasma and SSG shells in him and he was still alive! The stealth archviles... It was OK, I didn't mind them, as long as they are caged and has so slow attack.

Good wad! Keep up the good work on your projects!

The wad is up on newstuff: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16837

Thanks again for the feedback, scifista42! I tried to make the levels with high difficult, but not impossible to survive on the first playthrough, althought some traps I think could be done better. There´s only the bfg on the secret level, its like a prize for beating the spider. =D