Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Have you ever considered using WADs with doom "unethical"?

The thread title, alone, is one of the strangest questions I've ever seen posed on these forums.

Next up: Is eating pancakes a sin?

I would normally in this case say that I think it's silly to judge someone on how they play the game, but that would be a lie. When it comes to things like Brutal Doom, I do silently question "why?". Why? I'm not sure. It's illogical. I think it's because I don't like the mod myself, which is the most reasonable suggestion.

I don't care about the "ethics". I just play the game how I feel to play it. If I want to play DOOM with DOSBOX, or with GZDOOM, I don't care.

The main reason that I play DOOM is for fun.

Archy said:

OMG I'm the same way! With very few exception, any WAD that can't play in Vanilla Doom is something I just won't touch. I hate enhancement features for all games [except Vv HERETIC v1.3+], but it especially bugs me when Doom is involved.

Cats are awesome though.

I'm not EXACTLY like this. While i really don't like seeing some of the new sourceport features, like slopes, or transparent glass, or texture warping, i mostly play everything in zdoom and am okay with wads that don't go overboard with it's features (a new mob or two are okay by me). I also sometimes enjoy wads that stray far enough from doom that it doesn't feel wrong seeing all the features, like Unloved or the Cheogsh series. But beautiful doom? That should burn in hell, forever. :0

No, it isn't DooM unless it's played on 486, with a standard aspect:ratio CRT monitor, and you have to be 20-odd years younger than you presently are.

This is a seriously silly question; one of the strengths of Doom is its mod-ability, and the various plug-ins, sourceports, etc. that you can play it in. Whether you like playing it full-on vanilla, on a old machine, or tweaked beyond all recognition, you're still paying tribute to the game we all know and love.

Personally, I like playing GZDoom in software mode, but even I enjoy loading up Brutal Doom with all the effects every now and then. Either way, it's still Doom. Just play and enjoy our game. :)

If I'd found myself wrestling with a moral dilemma over whether or not to run PWADs with Doom, I'd probably have long since abandoned the game.

Genki says:

ETHICAL!!!

Fact is, it's more a question os aesthetics than ethics. It's all personal preference. Without PWADs, chances are I would have ditched Doom a long time ago.

@scalliano
What the hell? That is my new favorite sprite of all video game history. It hurts my brain so good.

Xaser said:

Next up: Is eating pancakes a sin?

Of course it isn't, don't mislead my flock! Just 'cause you felt maltreated at one of my pancake fundrasing events. Did Father O'blivion not make you feel welcome enough?

They're so light and fluffy brown!

st.alfonzo said:

Of course it isn't, don't mislead my flock! Just 'cause you felt maltreated at one of my pancake fundrasing events. Did Father O'blivion not make you feel welcome enough?

They're so light and fluffy brown!

LONG LIVE THE NEW SYRUP

I love all flavors of Doom.

If I want raw classic Doom (for me anyway), I play it on PrBoom+. No mod wads with that. However, mapsets and megawads are fair game. I deem them playable in any Doom scenario. That's my classic Dooming.

My other half of Dooming (well, more like 60%) is with either Zdoom or Skulltag, running through with various mods and such.

In all:

40% Classic PrBoom+ vanilla dooming

30% Hideous Destructor

30% Normal playthru's and runs with Zdoom/Skulltag

Sodaholic said:

Speaking of syrup...

On behalf of The Academy, I would like to thank you for failing to identify that a reference was in play, and instead post a youtube video, the highest form of internet response.