Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shade2345

shade2345's editing questions

Can someone please help me. im editing one of my custom doom 2 wads and i want to put a custom weapon. so i have all the sprites, sounds, etc. the only thing that is stopping me is that, there something wrong with the scripting of the weapon, i know that much. i dont see the weapon in the level i put it in but i see the weapon placed down in doom builder. in order to equip the weapon i have to use the cheat idfa. whenever i switch to the weapon it fires without me clicking it fire. whenever i click it it fires rapidly. its not supposed to do that because its a quad shotgun. please help.
im using XWE and Skulltag.

Try posting your DECORATE code and one of the gurus here should be able to dissect it to find the problem.

ACTOR QuadShotGun : Weapon 3215
{
Obituary "%o was blasted by %k's QuadShotGun"
Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
Weapon.AmmoGive 12
Weapon.AmmoUse 4
Weapon.KickBack 50
Weapon.SlotNumber 3
Inventory.PickupSound "Misc/w_pkup"
Inventory.PickupMessage " Quad ShotGun = DEATH"
States
{
Ready:
LCSG A 1 A_WeaponReady
loop
Deselect:
LCSG A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Select:
LCSG A 1 A_Raise
loop
Fire:
LCSG X 0 A_FireBullets(1, 1, 1, 1, "BulletPuff", 1)
LCSG XY 1 A_GunFlash
LCSG A 0 A_CheckReload
LCSU K 0 A_OpenShotgun2
LCSU J 0
LCSU G 0
LCSU F 0
LCSU E 0
LCSU D 0
LCSU C 0 A_LoadShotgun2
LCSU B 0
LCSU A 0
LCSU G 0 A_CloseShotgun2
LCSG O 0 A_ReFire
Goto Ready
Flash:
LCSU X 0 bright
Stop
Spawn:
QSGP A-1
Stop
}
}

i just found that the flash is not occurring either.im using the quad shotgun from LOS.i wanted to make this for myself because its a coolo weapon. could someone please help me.

The gun doesn't appear ingame because, well, you're not putting it ingame; what you can do is have it take the place of an existing actor.

For example:

ACTOR UberShotgun replaces SuperShotgun
{
 ...code goes here...
}

But if you're making your own maps, not just a weapon mod, the method varies.

There are other methods such as MAPINFO's ReplaceActor, each with their own ins and outs, that you'll use as you gain more expertise with modding.

So the problem with your Flash state is LCSU X is 0 tics long. Also, you're calling A_GunFlash twice. And the reason the gun fires so fast is because you have a ton of 0-tic frames in the fire state. That 0 after the sprite name is the duration that that sprite will stay on screen; Doom measures this in units called tics, and there are *roughly* thirty-five tics per second.

I tried editing the script i believe it works now but i cant start up doom.
I get the following message:

R_InstallSprite: Sprite LCSG frame X is missing rotations

I dont understand could it be something with the scripting?
Here's the script:

ACTOR QuadShotGun: Weapon 3215
{
Obituary "%o was blasted by %k's QuadShotGun"
Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
Weapon.AmmoGive 12
Weapon.AmmoUse 4
Weapon.KickBack 50
Weapon.SlotNumber 3
Inventory.PickupSound "Misc/w_pkup"
Inventory.PickupMessage " Quad ShotGun = DEATH"
States
{
Spawn:
QSGP A-1
Loop
Ready:
LCSG A 1 A_WeaponReady
Loop
Deselect:
LCSG A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Select:
LCSG A 1 A_Raise
Fire:
LCSG A 1
LCSG X 2 A_FireBullets (13.4, 9.2, 50, 10, "BulletPuff")
LCSG X 0 A_GunFlash
LCSG Y 2
LCSG A 1 A_CheckReload
LCSU K 3 A_OpenShotgun2
LCSU J 3
LCSU G 3
LCSU F 3
LCSU E 3
LCSU D 3
LCSU C 4 A_LoadShotgun2
LCSU B 4
LCSU A 4
LCSG A 0 A_CloseShotgun2
Goto Ready
Flash:
LCSU X 0 bright
Stop
}

}
could someone please diagnose this.

What's the full sprite name of LCSGX? I'm guessing it's named something like LCSGX1, LCSGX2, etc. When a sprite name ends in 1-8 (or 9-16, but that's for another time), the engine goes "okay this is one of a group of sprites representing the rotations of an actor, now where are the other ones?" When a sprite is only going to face one direction, use 0. So it'd be LCSGX0, for example.

thanks now doom starts up only issue when i switch to my weapon it shoots without clicking fire and then i hear the reload of the SSG then i cant switch to any of my weapons. if i get stuck again ill pm you
thanks alot though.

Flash states are special; they are states that can play at the same time that another state is running, and the sprites that are used in a Flash state will go on "top" of the weapon sprites. If you look at Doom.wad, you'll se that the muzzle flash of the shotgun, for example, gets its own sprite. Using the Flash state, you can get a bright muzzle flash without illuminating the rest of the gun.

Now when you say it inherits traits from THE SSG does it remove the SSG from the game?
And I would still have to add all the sprites if I. Made it inherit traits from the SSG.
From my veiw of it, inheriting adds he sounds from theSSG. Am I correct.

Inheriting can add *almost* anything from the parent actor (there are things that don't carry over, notably ConversationID, but that's best saved for another time). Actor flags can be inherited, actor properties can be inherited, even entire action states can be inherited... as long as you don't modify.

Example:

ACTOR GreenDemon : Demon {}

The above is still just a Demon. But when we add something like this...

ACTOR GreenDemon : Demon
{
 Translation "16:47=112:127"
}

We now have a GreenDemon that is really green, thanks to the Translation actor property, which allows you to take the colors a graphic uses and change them to most anything you want. (Somewhat off topic, but translation is an amazing time saver if you want to make recolors. No more agonizing hours spent recoloring eighty sprites just to make a Baron's skin black or a Marine's armor orange!)

Another example:

ACTOR AnotherGreenDemon : Demon
{
 Translation "16:47=112:127"
}

ACTOR YetAnotherGreenDemon : AnotherGreenDemon {}

YetAnotherGreenDemon will inherit not only the base attributes of a Demon, but also the Translation property of AnotherGreenDemon. Now...

ACTOR AnotherColorDemon : YetAnotherGreenDemon
{
 Translation "16:47=192:207"
}

Even though AnotherColorDemon inherits from a Demon that is green, because we defined the Translation actor property for it, it will now appear blue, because the new parameters for Translation replace that which it inherited.

I have been trying to make my own custom wad. but before i begin creating the maps and everything else, i would like to know how would you replace a weapon. lets say i have the chaingun and want to replace it with a machine gun so the chaingun does not exist.

The simplest approach (which doesn't require fancy port features) is replacing a weapon's sprites and sound effects with your own. Giving the machine gun sprites and sounds (to borrow your example) in your custom wad the same names as the IWAD's chaingun sprites and sounds will result in them being used instead of the chaingun. That approach isn't without its drawbacks, the game engine still thinks you're picking up a chaingun and the firing animation is unchanged, though both of those issues can be solved with a little bit of DECORATE scripting.

How do you make an animated moving sky? also how do you add custom sounds to an environment, such as screams, wind, etc.

In xwe, just make a new entry. One of these names:

L1) D_RUNNIN  | L15) D_RUNNI2 | L28) D_TENSE
L2) D_STALKS  | L16) D_DEAD2  | L29) D_SHAWN3
L3) D_COUNTD  | L17) D_STLKS3 | L30) D_OPENIN
L4) D_BETWEE  | L18) D_ROMERO | L31) D_EVIL
L5) D_DOOM    | L19) D_SHAWN2 | L32) D_ULTIMA
L6) D_THE_DA  | L20) D_MESSAG
L7) D_SHAWN   | L21) D_COUNT2
L8) D_DDTBLU  | L22) D_DDTBL3 | Title Screen) D_DM2TTL
L9) D_IN_CIT  | L23) D_AMPIE  | Stat Screen) D_DM2INT
L10) D_DEAD   | L24) D_THEDA3
L11) D_STLKS2 | L25) D_ADRIAN
L12) D_THEDA2 | L26) D_MESSG2
L13) D_DOOM2  | L27) D_ROMER2
L14) D_DDTBL2
These are for DOOM 2. Then select which song you want to use and that's it.

Alternatively, use a MAPINFO lump to choose the level's music. Since Skulltag uses them. You can set the level's name there while you're at it. Also, custom sky, custom par time, etc.

Assuming this is for Skulltag, the easiest way to create a moving sky is by setting a scroll speed for Sky1 in your map's MAPINFO definition. Animating the sky (for example - clouds moving across a starry sky) requires a bit more work - clouds on a scrolling Sky1, stars on a static Sky2, add the doublesky property to the map definition and edit the cloud sky image so its background sky is set to colour 0, otherwise the second static sky won't be visible.

Another option is to use MBF Sky Transfers, though that might involve a ridiculously large number of frames for a convincing animation. There's one in this small demo map

As for adding environmental sounds, read up on ambient sound in the ZDoom Wiki.

EDIT - The mods have been busily merging threads, so I'll try to avoid double-posting.

shade2345 said:

Couldn't I just do something with the key configuration?

KEYCONF? That'll do if you want to prevent the player from using a weapon but won't necessarily prevent it appearing in the map.

One way is to create a "broken glass" texture (which might be nothing more than a transparency), define a switch in ANIMDEFS that uses the two textures and add one-time shootable switch actions to windows in your map. I have a demo map somewhere that I'll post a link to once I've found it.

EDIT - I sort of forgot that the map's associated with a big resource wad, so here's a lite version with the surplus resources removed. You'll have to shoot some stuff in order to progress from room to room.