Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

To SourceForge Project Users

The only hosted app I used was a phpBB3 forum, and I replaced that ages ago with a manually installed SMF forum because the hosted app forum was (a) very slow and (b) unable to be customised.

Now I'm wondering when they will force all "Classic" projects to update to their new platform.

To clarify: here's the list of hosted apps.

That's hilarious. They introduced these a few years ago, and I remember thinking at the time that it was a great idea that they were introducing better replacements for the frankly rather crufty Sourceforge home-rolled apps. Now they're dumping them.

To be fair they never seemed very well integrated with the rest of the site, so they never seemed like a very attractive option to me. Part of the problem is that it seems like they just set up a whole bunch of random things without any real thought put into it, and they have duplicates (three bugtrackers, two wikis, etc.).

If they'd carefully chosen a few apps, tightly integrated them all together *and* moved everyone off the crufty old system onto the apps, the idea would have worked a lot better. Of course, that's kind of what GitHub does, which has been running rings round Sourceforge from the day it started.

fraggle said:

That's hilarious. They introduced these a few years ago, and I remember thinking at the time that it was a great idea that they were introducing better replacements for the frankly rather crufty Sourceforge home-rolled apps. Now they're dumping them.

To be fair they never seemed very well integrated with the rest of the site, so they never seemed like a very attractive option to me. Part of the problem is that it seems like they just set up a whole bunch of random things without any real thought put into it, and they have duplicates (three bugtrackers, two wikis, etc.).

If they'd carefully chosen a few apps, tightly integrated them all together *and* moved everyone off the crufty old system onto the apps, the idea would have worked a lot better. Of course, that's kind of what GitHub does, which has been running rings round Sourceforge from the day it started.

Yeah I thought it was cool at first but thought about the same stuff you did and it grew into a huge mess.

Perhaps what could have helped with all those bugtrackers and wikis is to store common bug information so that say you wanted to switch bug trackers, you would lose none of your bugs at all.

But, hopefully after removing the hosted apps, SF speeds up a bit.