Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Using spawn cubes as level events

A level/miniboss idea I've thought of that I (personally) think would be a neat idea; have an area that when a player reaches it, a monster spawner is awoken, simulating kind of like a mini-boss fight.

The destructible monster or thing could be situated in any way possible but is otherwise stationary and otherwise only exists for the player's destruction; to cease the spawning of cubes.

Of course it would take a little modding to make the destructable target and wouldn't be vanilla compatible, but I think it would be a neat idea to use the resources provided for Doom 2's boss. (I think if ID would have done it in a fashion like this and created a new, fresh boss for Doom 2 it would have been much better.)

What are your thoughts on this?

(also, I didn't put this editing as I'm not making it and not in mods as it isn't something that has been made by me.)

You may not be able to destroy spawner targets in vanilla, but you can make a killable thing that spawns monsters with some DEHACKED work. You'll still need targets present of course.

It's not something I'm going to make, it's just an idea I had.

And someone moved the thread to Editing, which wasn't my goal.

I just wanted to discuss the whole idea of it.

I'm imagining something like the mob spawning boxes in Minecraft, and that sounds pretty interesting to me. Which gives me the idea of having monsters spawn independently in dark corners, but that's a whooole other topic...

How hard would this be to soup up a demo of, by the way? I certainly don't possess the technical aptitude to attempt it without heavy Google assistance.

I like your idea, anyway.

Marcaek said:

You may not be able to destroy spawner targets in vanilla, but you can make a killable thing that spawns monsters with some DEHACKED work. You'll still need targets present of course.

Indeed, much like this:

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/DfRE0FYHkg/cacobosstest.zip

It's Doom2 Map01 and not a map playable without cheats; just a test arena.

Ok, this was built using Doomsday's deds, but it should be possible to re-create it in Dehacked, if one can find enough frames.

Doomsday also supports dynamically spawning and destroying spawner targets using XG.

Vermil said:

Ok, this was built using Doomsday's deds, but it should be possible to re-create it in Dehacked, if one can find enough frames.

It is indeed, I tested it by making a boss monster out of the R667 Afrit which shoots spawn cubes for its projectile attack.

I actually made a sort of destroyable monster spawner for the wad i'm "working" on (in zdoom). It spews out a few of a particular type and dies anyway, and you can shoot it to kill it faster. Basically, each spawn it does hurts it. But i think bothering to shoot it with current balance is pretty unreasonable since it has more health for one spawn than the monster, and the monsters can also maybe infight and drop a goodie.
So yeah it turned out to be basically just a fancy way of spawning a bunch of monsters one after another when you enter a room.