Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
awsomerocker123

Different sector lift tagging

So I am making my own personal arena map(in Doom builder) and I have some switches to release whatever monsters i decide to edit in.But I have a problem.You see,I plan on making pits with the monsters in them and having the switches(on a rise you spawn on) lift up the floors of the pits.But I dont know how to link a switch from one sector so when you flip it,the floor in the pit(other sector) rises.

Is there a way to do this?

If not,can you do the same idea but with doors?(switch in one sector opens door in another sector which releases monsters to fight)

And on a side note,how do you pit monsters against each other without having them accidently hit each other?

Thanks and yes...im a noob in doom builder.

You want to assign a floor raising action and a tag to the linedef of your switch, and use that same tag on the sector that needs to be raised.

Once you've done that, a quick way to check to see if the tags are linked properly is to go into Line mode ("L" on keyboard), then mouse over the linedef you've just paired/tagged with the other sector. If they're paired, then the other line/sector should highlight simultaneously.

I do this a lot, because I'm never 100% certain if I've put the right tag number in or not.

P.S. sorry if you knew this already
P.P.S. good luck on your map!

awsomerocker123 said:

.... But I dont know how to link a switch from one sector so when you flip it,the floor in the pit(other sector) rises.

Is there a way to do this?

If not,can you do the same idea but with doors?(switch in one sector opens door in another sector which releases monsters to fight)

And on a side note,how do you pit monsters against each other without having them accidently hit each other?

Thanks and yes...im a noob in doom builder.

Of course there is a way to do this. There are ample examples in DOOM and DOOM2.

As Phml already suggested, link the linedef special, may it be a door or a raising floor or whatever, to the affected sector with a tag number, for example the door to the outside in DOOM2 MAP01:

As for specific monsters fighting each other, you will have to use a different port, such as GZDoom. This also would have the advantage of leaving the confines of DOOM2 behind and be able to use scripting.

Scripting, which in its basic form, simply uses the linedef specials in a text form. This means that in one script you can accomplish several actions in one step. In a more advanced form, scripting can be used just like the C language.

So, for example monsters fighting each other, with Thing_Hate you could single out specific monsters going after any other monster.

For further reading: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

You say that you are a noob and only registered for that one particular post. Well good luck with that, you will definitely need more help.

Kappes Buur said:

Of course there is a way to do this. There are ample examples in DOOM and DOOM2.

As Phml already suggested, link the linedef special, may it be a door or a raising floor or whatever, to the affected sector with a tag number, for example the door to the outside in DOOM2 MAP01:

As for specific monsters fighting each other, you will have to use a different port, such as GZDoom. This also would have the advantage of leaving the confines of DOOM2 behind and be able to use scripting.

Scripting, which in its basic form, simply uses the linedef specials in a text form. This means that in one script you can accomplish several actions in one step. In a more advanced form, scripting can be used just like the C language.

So, for example monsters fighting each other, with Thing_Hate you could single out specific monsters going after any other monster.

For further reading: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

You say that you are a noob and only registered for that one particular post. Well good luck with that, you will definitely need more help.

thanks...i do know a little C code but not much.Ill finish my megawad first and let my arena map sit on my desktop until I feel like going to finish it.