Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Spoons! now with 4 maps. (updated 09/7)

What is Spoons?

Spoons is a collection of short/medium length, very difficult spoon-themed maps that try to be visually appealing, and inventive in its challenges. Each level is designed to be played from pistol-start, and UV-maxable.

New Textures: yup
New Music: yup
Difficulty Levels: yup
Tested In: PrBoom+ (cl9) and gzdoom

Will update this thread with more maps as they come along. Current Progress:

Map 01: Spoon-Time (complete)
Map 02: Spoontang (complete)
Map 03: Hard Spooning (complete)
Map 04: Castle of Spoon (complete)

Download (reuploaded on 12/17/2013):

Spoons v0.4

Screenshots:

Map 01: Spoon-Time

Ribbiks said:

I only tested it in PrBoom-Plus, so it might break in other ports.

What complevel? It might well break in Prboom-plus too if people use the wrong one (e.g. use vanilla settings if the map uses Boom features/behaviour or vice versa).

Ooh, I'm guessing cl9, since it uses those scrolling floors for voodoo dolls and such. I'll amend the post

New map added!

Map 02: Spoontang

I did playtest it a whole lot, but feedback appreciated (in particular on health/ammo balance). UV is pretty difficult, but lower difficulties shouldn't be too rough.

Screenshots:

Download link in first post.

Lots of fun. I managed to pull through on skill 1 (with saves though).

Spoiler

Is the yellow key supposed to be an arch-vile jump? I assumed it was so since I'd already killed it I just went ahead and rocket jumped.

Thanks for playing!

Spoiler

You're correct about the yellow key being an AV jump. I was up in the air about including that, but I'm glad to hear it can still be done should the player unknowingly kill the arch

New map03: Hard Spooning (Link updated in first post)

I never tried making a map with this theme before, it's sort of like.. techbase + wood + water.... serious amounts of water.

The gameplay is designed to be balanced at UV, the difficulty is pretty high on this one I'd say. Though lower difficulties are implemented if you want a less stressful adventure. playing FDA style might be really rough, because a couple areas border on slaughter-style play. my best UVmax so far is 10:04.

Screenshots:

New map added: Castle of Spoon

I'm running out of color choices for my monochromatic levels. So far it's gone green, orange, blue, and now this one is red:

This one is decently challenging, in particular that outside room with the megasphere gets pretty hairy on UV. It's probably obvious that I've been learning how to make levels as this wad progresses, as each level is slightly more polished than the last.

Feedback and etc appreciated, I've playtested it quite a bit but it would be good to see what other people think.

i haven't yet played it but you have a very interesting visual style. the last map in particular looks pretty well-done

Hello people from the past, I come from the future. In the dystopian post-apocalyptic wasteland of december 2013, humanity is in dire need of spoons. Unfortunately, that link isn't working anymore. Reup please? :)

Hihi, I guess I should indeed re-up this seeing as 'fonz linked to it from the awards page, so here ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8u7lc3zo9xui816/spoons.wad

Bear in mind these are "early" maps of mine, so they're pretty rough around the edges. Also according to demonologist there are some miscellaneous HOMs and such, which I may fix if I ever decide to tune these up or properly release them in some capacity. Btw let me know if you find the area that was inspired by something of yours, phml :p

dl link in OP also updated.