Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Has Doom music been performed by real bands?

There has been Blizzard music covered by orchestras, now I'm wondering if there have been bands assembled together to do some Doom music, using instruments similar to those specified in the MUS files. For great justice.

so doom has nothing impossibly cool like megadeth covering the duke nukem theme? :(

That sort of thing would be recursive, given that Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera and various other cool metal/rock bands from back in the day were the inspirations for about half of the tracks anyway :P

NiuHaka said:

"The Dark Side of Phobos" is an album I enjoy from time to time. http://doom.ocremix.org/main.html

Eh, I have to say I was very disappointed with that album (and the Doom II one that followed) -- except for the E1M1 and episode-text-intermission (dunno what to call it) tracks, none of them really felt like the musicians understood what the music was for. They just did their own random crap that sounded entirely contrary to Doom and what the original atmosphere was supposed to be.

(This tends to be the overwhelming trend with OCRemix anyway... as far as their album projects, I only ever felt that the Mega Man 9 one was good and well suited to the source material; a friend of mine tells me that one of the Kirby ones is good too, but I don't play Kirby so I wouldn't know)

Coopersville said:

Epiclore's Doom medley has always been a solid classic, and their only good song, in my opinion.

Perhaps because the Doom medley is totally unlike anything they normally do? It's just pure straight-up metal. Whereas Epiclore is normally uh... I'm actually not really sure, I don't think it's even any kind of metal, but it's not that bad.

Mr. Chris said:

Dimaension X did the entire Doom 2 soundtrack.

http://archive.org/details/the_doom_2_variations

I enjoy this one more than the one I pointed to. They are very loyal to the source material.

chungy said:

Eh, I have to say I was very disappointed with that album (and the Doom II one that followed) -- except for the E1M1 and episode-text-intermission (dunno what to call it) tracks, none of them really felt like the musicians understood what the music was for. They just did their own random crap that sounded entirely contrary to Doom and what the original atmosphere was supposed to be.

Well, in my opinion there are a few good ones in there but they are purely for nostalgic reasons and none of the pieces work well within the actual perspective games. They have served me well when creating models and textures for the Doom Ascension project. Personally I prefer things that have a more old school metal vibe because I think that just fits Doom better. Honestly though I don't think there is any really good stuff out there.

printz said:

Is that really performed by human bands, or by the computer?

A few are by people wielding real instruments. Not sure any are done by actual bands. I'm sure all tracks have had computer juice injected into them.

Doom's soundtrack was almost entirely comprised of songs by real bands haha, that's what happens when you hand Bobby Prince a stack of late 80's/early 90's metal and rock cassette tapes - there's some Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, Alice in Chains, all kinds of stuff - and you can hear the comparisons right here on Doom World -> http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/doomcovers/