Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Tip for Linux Doom players.

This command will search a wadfile and return what map it is.

C:\HOME\FLYNN\DOCUMENTS> cat Quadruple\ Threat.wad | strings | grep MAP[1-32]
MAP28
BLOCKMAP
And this for Ultimate Doom wads.
C:\HOME\FLYNN\DOCUMENTS> cat base.wad | strings | grep E[1-4]M
map E1M1 "Phobos Tech Center"
next E1M2
music D_E1M1
map E1M2 "Phobos Entrance"
next E1M3
music D_E1M2
map E1M3 "Phobos Hell Gate"
next E1M4
music D_E1M3
D_E1M1
D_E1M3
D_E1M2
D_E1M4
E1M3
E1M2
E1M1
I hope you find this tip useful. I could not be bothered to load up Doom Builder or Slade, so I thought I would try this instead.

Using this on the Doom2 IWAD gives the expected output.
C:\HOME\FLYNN\DOCUMENTS> cat Doom2/doom2.wad | strings | grep MAP[1-32]
MAP10
MAP11
MAP12
MAP13
MAP14
MAP15
MAP16
MAP17
MAP18
MAP19
MAP20
MAP21
MAP22
MAP23
MAP24
MAP25
MAP26
MAP27
MAP28
MAP29
MAP30
MAP31
MAP32

neubejiita said:

Tip for Linux Doom players.

C:\HOME\FLYNN\DOCUMENTS>

I really hope you haven't done what I think you've done.

Also, you win a triple award for useless use of cat.

Finally, just to be snarky, in all future WADs I might release I promise to include a useless lump containing the text "MAP99", just to break your script.

Also the grep doesn't do what you probably think it does. Anyways, I'd rather use something like grep -P '^(MAP\d\d|E\dM\d)$'

fraggle said:

Finally, just to be snarky, in all future WADs I might release I promise to include a useless lump containing the text "MAP99", just to break your script.

I used the PS1 prompt example from this thread. http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/59860-doomworlds-desktop-wallpaper-thread/ that chungy posted. I am running Linux Mint 13 x64.

fraggle said:

That's what I feared. Horrible and perverse :-(

Real Linux users use D:\Program Files x64\Home\<user_name>

fraggle said:

I don't think so.

Of course, as Heiner points out, using cat on a single file to view it from the command line is a valid use of cat (but you might be better off if you get accustomed to using less for this instead).

qoncept said:

I don't think so.

But he isn't viewing a single file from the command line, but piping its contents into another command. cat'ing single files into programs that could read the file on their own is just stupid. So just

strings doom.wad

fraggle said:

In examples like this "cat" is probably preferable as the general form since it's clear one could replace it with "unzip -p wadfile.zip" or whatever without changing the structure of the command.

neubejiita's command won't show it; MAP[1-32] only matches MAP1, MAP2, MAP3 and MAP2 (again). boris's version would break in this manner though, except I think the intent in either case is to quickly figure out what level to warp to in a random WAD that might be missing its accompanying TXT file. If someone wanted something more robust they could probably use lswad from xwadtools. (But then you could still throw in empty MAP99 lumps to confuse things. Plus the unzip trick can't be used without temporary files or maybe some fancy redirections...)

Instead of telling neubejiita what an idiot he is, you guys could totally explain what he's wrong about instead. I'd do it, but I don't know what he did wrong, and neither would anyone that actually needs some tips for Linux and Doom.

Nomad said:

Instead of telling neubejiita what an idiot he is, you guys could totally explain what he's wrong about instead.

Better if not.

In typical CS/IT fashion, this would probably result in a massive flamewar and a lot of "That's NOT how we do things in MY neck of the woods!", "If you did this in my workplace you'd get fired", "If you do it in way X that means you're a noob" etc.

I don't understand, does Linux have drive letters? I thought they're referenced somewhere in a Volumes folder or like that.

printz said:

I don't understand, does Linux have drive letters?

It doesn't. But you can customize the prompt to show useless stuff before the path.

printz said:

I don't understand, does Linux have drive letters? I thought they're referenced somewhere in a Volumes folder or like that.

UNIXes don't label drives or partitions by letters of course, what you see in neubejiita prompt is simply a modified PS1, which - from what I gather, and I'm no expert - is a formatted string representing shell's prompt. You can modify it to your heart's content.

boris said:

But he isn't viewing a single file from the command line, but piping its contents into another command. cat'ing single files into programs that could read the file on their own is just stupid. So just

strings doom.wad

Copying and pasting something that WORKS to get the result you want it stupid. News to me.

Maes said:

Better if not.

In typical CS/IT fashion, this would probably result in a massive flamewar and a lot of "That's NOT how we do things in MY neck of the woods!", "If you did this in my workplace you'd get fired", "If you do it in way X that means you're a noob" etc.

Probably the fact that I don't really understand Linux beyond using Ubuntu, but I figure if there are multiple ways to do something successfully, which one is wrong? I mean if one of the methods is a security risk is one thing, but it sounds like this is just a matter of aspies being aspies.

Nomad said:

but I figure if there are multiple ways to do something successfully, which one is wrong?

The One True Way of doing the Right Thing (TM) of course.

Nomad said:

it sounds like this is just a matter of aspies being aspies.

You'll have to read the Jargon file three times over to even begin to understand them. And then they'll tell you "No, Nomad. You are the aspies". And then you will be yet another 1337 and condescending linux fanboy ;-)

Nomad said:

Probably the fact that I don't really understand Linux beyond using Ubuntu, but I figure if there are multiple ways to do something successfully, which one is wrong? I mean if one of the methods is a security risk is one thing, but it sounds like this is just a matter of aspies being aspies.

The crux of the matter is that if you use cat file | grep instead of grep file, then you run two processes instead of one and it uses more CPU power! Oh noes!

Because hyper-optimizing everything, even the listing of Doom maps in a file, an operation you'll do maybe a couple times a day, is how the true computer elite rolls.

Mostly it's just a question of geeks knowing How Things Work(tm) and getting annoyed at cargo-cultish behavior in people less geeky than themselves. The "I know this is the best way to do this" vs. "This is how I learned to do it and it works, so it's good enough for me."

Kind of like that person who thought they had to open the start menu before clicking on an icon in the quick launch bar. Has to click on the start menu to run a program, after all. It's even in the same region of the screen!

Gez said:

The crux of the matter is that if you use cat file | grep instead of grep file, then you run two processes instead of one and it uses more CPU power! Oh noes!

Is that really the gripe? Ok, so, being conscious about efficiency is one thing, but if having two processes run is a big deal I'd hate to see how one of these autistic derptards feels about me knocking a box of matchsticks on the floor.

The gripe isn't resources being used (well, not in cases like this), it's the demonstration of doing such displays a lack of understanding of how the software you're using actually works.

Now imagine you're an expert in communication reading Doomworld on a regular basis.

Nomad said:

Is that really the gripe?

I have the feeling that the true gripe is that some beginner dares to give Linux advice. How any any true Linux geek accept such a transgression...? :D

Graf Zahl said:

How any any true Linux geek accept such a transgression...? :D

NEVER! SUCH MISDEMEANOR MUST BE DEALT WITH UNPLEASANT, FORCED AND PAINFUL RECTAL SODOMY FROM RICHARD STALLMAN'S BLOATED DICK!!!!!

Nomad said:

Is that really the gripe? Ok, so, being conscious about efficiency is one thing, but if having two processes run is a big deal I'd hate to see how one of these autistic derptards feels about me knocking a box of matchsticks on the floor.

It's all a matter of context. A few extra /bin/cat processes running on someone's desktop = big woop. CGI script on busy server that spawns unnecessary processes = bad (well maybe, because sometimes the overhead is hidden and insignificant due to caching).