Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

3 Risen3d questions

1) I'm getting HOM on TNT map 31 (Where the arachnotrons inside the pyramids are hidden inside the see-through box things) any reason this could be happening?

2) Is there a way to load multiple wads? E.g, the main pwad, then another pwad containing only music. This was possible with jdoom, but there seems to be no way of adding or selecting two at once with the risen3d interface.

3) What about a way to use, for example, the tnt iwad for a pwad instead of the doom2 pwad? At the moment, all I can do is clear the iwad list, then select only the tnt iwad to play.

invictius said:

1) I'm getting HOM on TNT map 31 (Where the arachnotrons inside the pyramids are hidden inside the see-through box things) any reason this could be happening?

Because TNT MAP31 uses a self-referencing sector trick. This trick makes a sector basically invisible but still solid. It allows to make invisible but actually shootable walls and invisible platforms to stand on.
Looks like Risen3D can't emulate it. OpenGL rendering is very different from original software rendering so supporting such tricks requires special code.

Don't know other questions because I don't play Risen3D :/.

I know that the author of Risen 3D has made some efforts to get as many maps and old tricks as possible working so perhaps he isn't aware of this particular one causing problems.

[edit]

Actually, do you mean these arachnotrons? As you can see, it's working for me.

No matter how much I move around, I'm not getting a HOM effect. Do you have the latest version?

http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

invictius said:

Aw crap ! That bug IS in the latest version (v15).... goes off to report bug to GJ.

invictius said:

2) Is there a way to load multiple wads? E.g, the main pwad, then another pwad containing only music. This was possible with jdoom, but there seems to be no way of adding or selecting two at once with the risen3d interface.

Sure. Just place the additional pwads in the folder where your main pwad is.

invictius said:

3) What about a way to use, for example, the tnt iwad for a pwad instead of the doom2 pwad? At the moment, all I can do is clear the iwad list, then select only the tnt iwad to play.

Not a problem here for me. Have you carefully read Risen3D_Readme.txt under the heading COMPLIANT IWADS LOCATION ?

EDIT ... point 1) fixed in next version - v16.

Apologies in resurrecting this old post. I seem to have found the HOM the OP was talking about, and it doesn't appear to be just a Risen3D, as I've found this in Vanilla DOOM, Chocolate DOOM and PrBoom+.

The HOM occurs when you ascend the stairs that lead you back into the room with those Arachnotrons.

But there's no anomaly once you reach the top couple of steps.

Is this long-standing bug something that could be fixed within a source port, and if so, how?

I believe you are getting a visplane quirk there. Others can explain it better. This "error" does not occur in Risen3D.

The rendering hack in question only works in software renderers until you get below the ceiling height of the sectors.

On TNT Map31, you can get below the ceiling by going down the stairs.

Obviously an oversight the map maker missed or didn't account for.