Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Dudes that grow their hair out but don't have sufficient self hygeine

What is the logic behind this? Does having long hair magically make it hard to take showers?

Luckily this disorder doesn't affect me, who's hair is probably ten inches past my shoulders.

Are you talking about guys like Stallman or FastEddie (TVTropes leader)? Yeah, I wonder why people like them in position of power choose to look hard to be taken seriously.

When I had my hair long, I made damn sure to wash and comb it on a daily basis. I never had problems, and my hair is naturally oily.

The "award" for this apparent contradiction goes to a guy I saw once with a big, bulky afro/rasta hairdo working as a shit-sucking truck operator, and before you argue that he might just be the driver, he actually did all the shit-pipe handling.

I mean, seriously, did he do that on purpose so that he could maximize hair volume and catch more of the "essence" while working? -_-

I cut off all my hair recently becasue I was tired of the upkeep.

I'm at the age where it just looks stupid, anyway.

imo really short hair works on almost everyone and it's really easy to maintain.

Technician said:

I cut off all my hair recently becasue I was tired of the upkeep.

I'm at the age where it just looks stupid, anyway.

Came to that conclusion last August.

Besides, last time I was at a festival I enjoyed Benassi more than Slayer. So much for being a metalhead.

My hair gets to my shoulder and just stops growing. I've been trying to get it past my shoulders for many years. Pretty fucking annoying.

My hair style has been getting progressively shorter over the past 10 years. I'm not exaggerating when I say it used to be down to my ass. Now I'm rocking the extra-short combed forward look, because I realized that long hair with male pattern baldness only makes you look like a hobo.

Marnetmar said:

I'm talking about teenage metalheads that fit the stereotype.

What year is this, 1986?

Marnetmar said:

I'm talking about teenage metalheads that fit the stereotype.

Well, the shit-truck guy was in his late 10s or early 20s anyway, though he was clearly more on the reggae/no-global/rasta side of the tracks :-p

I have long hair too and I have to wash it every three days because I have grasy skin which besides oily hair was the main cause for my dermatitis and very bad acne until one year ago. I would literally have pimples grow on other pimples and my scalp was itchy all the time but and after a lot of treatments, I finally tried accutane and it really worked(but it had a ton of side effects) and selsun blue for my hair. I got rid of my dermatitis and my acne but I still have oily skin. Do you guys know any effective treatments for oily skin? I don't care if it's radioactive waste from Phobos, I'll try anything if it works.

I also don't understand where this stereotype comes from, I can't STAND my hair to be dirty and I always keep it in top shape.

I'm lazy and hence cut my hair extra short. I'd rather look like a psycho than a hippie (or even worse, a metal fan!).

DooM_RO said:

I also don't understand where this stereotype comes from, I can't STAND my hair to be dirty and I always keep it in top shape.

Lol I had a friend who had his hair in some sort of very short dreadlocks, and he complained how other dreadlocked guys usually didn't wash their hair and claimed that after a month or so "a natural oil was secreted by the scalp" which "protected the hair" and they "needed no shampooing". "Yeah, but that FUCKING OIL FUCKING STINKS!!!" *grin*

I supposed the stereotype comes from long hair -once upon a time- being associated with "rebellious" attitudes and rejection of mainstream society values. This might have been true in the 50s-60s-70s USA (right after a World War, Korean War, Vietnam War etc. and with the Cold War always lurking, where you'd see a lot of buzzed-cut guys around) with hippes, anti-war movements etc. but today it's nothing more than a fashion statement.

Too lazy to wash your hair --> also too lazy to cut it.
Too lazy to cut your hair --> also too lazy to wash it.

Gez said:

Too lazy to wash your hair --> also too lazy to cut it.
Too lazy to cut your hair --> also too lazy to wash it.

Unless you're a top model for Armani or Uomo Vogue...in that case you have a team of specialized hairdressers to do these tasks for you.

How do you even end up with long hair in the first place? There must be this inbetween stage for a few months where you have a horrible 80's mullet? At least that is what would happen to me, heh.

I've had long hair, which I mostly kept clean, but then it just became impossible to keep it clean (not because I was lazy or anything) and so I cut it. Now I could grow it long again as it's again possible to keep it clean, but I think it's more convenient to keep it short. I use a headscarf to decorate my head instead.

Captain Toenail said:

How do you even end up with long hair in the first place? There must be this inbetween stage for a few months where you have a horrible 80's mullet? At least that is what would happen to me, heh.

Yeah - that's a good few months too, where it's too long for your "short" style, but not long enough for the intended appearance (a naturally grown 70s afro, in my case). This period is usually where any "I'll grow my hair out!" plans tend to die, from what I've seen :P

I use to love my long hair. Now I'm becoming more and more tempted to shave my head every day. Only thing that has keep me from doing is so far is the fact I have a few scars on my head. A couple of them are pretty noticeable.

Phml said:

(or even worse, a metal fan!).

What?

Anyways, I have long hair to help my hippy/metalhead look, but also because it works for me. I'm extremely hygienic, soooo yeah.

I was in the "awkward" phase all year, which sucked. But past that it works fine.

DooM_RO said:

I have long hair too and I have to wash it every three days because I have grasy skin which besides oily hair was the main cause for my dermatitis and very bad acne until one year ago. I would literally have pimples grow on other pimples and my scalp was itchy all the time but and after a lot of treatments, I finally tried accutane and it really worked(but it had a ton of side effects) and selsun blue for my hair. I got rid of my dermatitis and my acne but I still have oily skin. Do you guys know any effective treatments for oily skin? I don't care if it's radioactive waste from Phobos, I'll try anything if it works.

Have you gone to the doctor? I don't know if that's what you mean by "treatments". My brother and I had horrible acne. We went to the doctor and they gave us prescription strength stuff. It worked for me but not him.

Also something that made me feel bad is that though my face was a festering pool of bumps and cysts, the doctor said I had a "moderate" acne problem.

Anyway, when you guys cut your hair off you don't have to waste it.

I once had shoulder length hair and I always washed it when I showered. Greasy long hair is just disgusting.

I always wash mine when I shower, but I've considered not washing it when I shower every day, so that if I miss a shower it won't be a greasy mess the next day.

I think everyone has a long-haired BO-smelling dude in their life. In my case, his name is Brian and I keep my distance.

DuckReconMajor said:

Have you gone to the doctor? I don't know if that's what you mean by "treatments". My brother and I had horrible acne. We went to the doctor and they gave us prescription strength stuff. It worked for me but not him.

Also something that made me feel bad is that though my face was a festering pool of bumps and cysts, the doctor said I had a "moderate" acne problem.

Anyway, when you guys cut your hair off you don't have to waste it.

I DID went to the doctor as I said later in the message. She gave me accutane for my acne(but had some unpleasant side effects) and Selsun Blue for my hair. I got rid of my dermatitis and acne but my skin is still oily(which was the cause of those problems) A lot of people say talcum powder works for oily hair...I'm gonna try that.

If you try accutane, it's actually gonna be worse for one month or two, just keep taking it, it's also good for your hair if you your hair problems are caused by an oily scalp.

EDIT: Oh yeah and Maes, where do you get all this "shitty" info? I do hope those trucks are used only for shit and not for something else as well, like milk. I don't care if they sterilize them one hundred times lol

I remember when I was young I developed an extreme allergic reaction to acne cremes utilizing peroxide. I then used an alcohol based creme, and that worked fine for breakouts.

Luckily, I seem to have grown out of serious acne. Recently, I might add.