Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echoplex

a few questions

i looked around a for a little bit but didn't find an exact answer for what i was looking for so figure i would ask you guys. (btw noob builder here, started about 2 weeks ago, but I've started to really get the hang of it)

my question regards level information and if it can be changed. I'm using Doombuilder 2 and I'm working on my 3rd map
question 1: i have noticed that each map i build has the music attached to it from my Doom2 wad. Is there a way to use a different song from the Doom2 wad for the level I'm editing (example: say i want to use music from level 21 in Doom II for level 2 in my wad)

and 2nd question: when making a skybox is the information on how the sky looks attached to the Doom2 wad info like the music has been? (example levels 1-19 have spaceport/city sky while 20-30 have the hell sky) because i would like my sky3's wall skin to stretch over head and be my sky and i could've sworn that in Doom II there was a hell sky thats red with all the faces in it

thank you and i am sorry if this is a 1,000,000th repeat question.

For both of those you will need a resource editor. Most suggest SLADE.

Secondly, are you mapping for vanilla Doom or a port like ZDoom? If it's for vanilla, to put in a custom midi, you use SLADE to put it into your wad (the same one your map is saved into) and name it the same as the midi for the actual level. For example, to change MAP01's music put in a midi and name it D_RUNNIN. If you wanted to use level 21's music you'd have to rip it out of Doom2.wad and put it in your wad as D_RUNNIN. This is of slightly dubious legality though. Your other option is to make the map on level 21 and make it clear that this is the map slot you're using.

Second, if you're using vanilla, there are no skyboxes, it's just a texture in the background. You can put a 256x128 texture into the wad and call it RSKY1 or RSKY2 or 3 depending on which episode's sky you want to change. Make sure you convert it to the Doom gfx and to the Doom palette. If you mean it stretches directly overhead (as in looking straight up), then you can't do that in vanilla, you'd have to use ZDoom or other ports that can do this.

so from what i gather, SLADE is like another map editor but can dig a little deeper, and do a little more than Doombuilder?

btw i use zDoom

SLADE might be what i want because it looks like i can make text screens, change the music and do more than just make a map

Slade 2 is a map editor, Slade 3 is currently a wad editor (basically, a resource management utility) though Slayer has promised to add map editing functions at some stage.

i got ya, so i can make my wad. in doombuilder or slade 2 (preferably Doombuilder since i just got the hang of it) then do like a post production with Slade 3 to edit the music, add intermission screens and what not.

(btw i'm trying not to seem too much like a dunce at this, my map building skills extend as far as Tony Hawk's skate park editor and Halo's Forge lol)

Yeah. Once you make your level in Doom Builder take the wad you saved it in and open it with slade. You'll see the data lumps that make up your map inside. You can add your custom textures under or above your map lumps.

Something else you can do is make a new wad with slade and put your custom textures into it. Then load it as a resource with your map in Doom Builder, so that when you test it you will see your new textures. Just make sure to put the textures into your actual map wad file later.

cool, thanks guys. I'm trying to actually make something that's a worthwhile play. (now that I've gotten the whole "build a square box, now place all the cyber daemons" out of my system) I've been a huge fan of Doom since i was like 6 when it came out, so its nice to finally make my own maps for a game I've played for years. And honestly I have more fun building shit in a game, than actually playing it.

DuckReconMajor said:

At least in my copies, Doom has SKY1 and Doom 2 has RSKY1.

I'm always right DuckReconMajor ;)
In Doom 2, RSKY1 is a patch name, the texture name is SKY1. And the texture is what should be replaced. (Because you might want an all-around sky, for instance).

GreyGhost should have said something like:
Slade 3 is currently a Doom editor with semi-functional and crashy WIP map editor

FTFY

tempun said:

I'm always right DuckReconMajor ;)
In Doom 2, RSKY1 is a patch name, the texture name is SKY1. And the texture is what should be replaced. (Because you might want an all-around sky, for instance).

I know that. Why wouldn't he want to replace the patch? If he wants an all around sky yeah he'd have to edit the texture, but then he'd have to come up with a different naming scheme for the other patches because RSKY2-4 are taken.

If i pull textures from Doom, Doom II, Plutonia and TNT, will that complicate the wad.? because i found some textures i like in those that I'd like to use. And gives me a little more to work with rather than just Doom II textures.