Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

port allowing cheats in nightmare

ZDoom does, too, but you have to go to the console first and enter 'sv_cheats 1' there, before starting a game.

Wouldn't it be as simple as playing UV with Fast Monsters and Respawn? Oh wait, double ammo pickups...

Quasar said:

Eternity ;)

I guess any self-respecting port has implemented some way to allow cheats in Nightmare.

I'd say it's much more interesting to list the ones that didn't... ;)

Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom halfway didn't...

Chocolate Doom's probably the only one where it makes sense to retain the restriction. Likewise, I'm slightly surprised prboom still allows it even with -complevel 2/3/4, but it doesn't affect demo compatibility so it's not a big deal.

I understand the motivation for disabling cheats in Nightmare mode, it provides bragging rights and weeds out the posers... but at the same time, who really gives a fuck about people cheating in a single player game?

PRIMEVAL said:

Wouldn't it be as simple as playing UV with Fast Monsters and Respawn? Oh wait, double ammo pickups...

Not only that. On "Nightmare!" monsters behave differently when they first notice you. Hell Revealed MAP18 is probably the most famous example of this: on UV the first cyber immediately teleports but on NM he kills you.

chungy said:

I understand the motivation for disabling cheats in Nightmare mode, it provides bragging rights and weeds out the posers... but at the same time, who really gives a fuck about people cheating in a single player game?

Besides the players? It's part of making a skill level that "isn't even remotely fair"!

Graf Zahl said:

Risen3d for one.

Just out of curiosity, is there a difference between playing on Nightmare and playing on Ultra-Violence with -fast and -respawn?

Randy87 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a difference between playing on Nightmare and playing on Ultra-Violence with -fast and -respawn?

If you read the thread, you'll find the answer. :P

Randy87 said:

You can use cheats and you get half the ammo Nightmare gives you.

Just go to the console on ZDoom and type sv_cheats 1. Then start a new game on Nightmare. And there you go :) Or you could get Prboom, it allows it by default.

I've always wanted (a) cvar(s) in a source port that enables double ammo pickups and/or 1/2 damage mode. It might give players a fighting chance in slaughtermaps if they do want to try those maps out. but don't want their asses kicked all over the place.

Because God Mode is for chumps.

Well in ZDoom you can define new skill settings entirely with a simple MAPINFO lump. It's quite flexible. You can make an ultra violence mode with half damage and double ammo. Or you can make it with quarter damage and triple ammo.

Csonicgo said:

I've always wanted (a) cvar(s) in a source port that enables double ammo pickups and/or 1/2 damage mode. It might give players a fighting chance in slaughtermaps if they do want to try those maps out. but don't want their asses kicked all over the place.

Because God Mode is for chumps.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Maybe you could suggest it for Zandorum? :P