Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

largest single map?

There was a post months earlier about a level that was probably bigger, although I can't be absolutely certain. The guy posted a video on youtube showing how large the level was in the editor. He hadn't finished the level yet, but what he had was the biggest tangle of linedefs I've ever seen. I'll try to find it if I can.

invictius said:

Would I be correct in assuming that this is the largest single map that has ever been made?

It's large but there have been ones that are larger. One example is Z1M10 in KDiZD which was actually limited by the sidedef limit and DB1's inability to save compressed sidedefs.

I'm not sure if it has been released but some time last year I have seen a map with >65000 linedefs and > 100000 sidedefs, making it twice as large as this one.

Is there any definitive way to tell, say in an editor, what the largest map would be? I don't know much about editing, but I think it's safe to say that the number of linedefs, sidedefs or vertices doesn't nessecarily mean much seeing there could be many large rooms and such.

Well, there are many possible metrics by which one could define the "largest map". One could make a single square sector, stretching all the way to the boundaries of the coordinates that can fit within the fixed_t variables. This would be the largest map as far as surface area goes, but that wouldn't make it very interesting.

Then there's the largest in term of structures, so here a simple count of sidedefs, linedefs, vertices and sectors would do the job.

But for the map that "feels" the largest, you'll have to introduce the fourth dimension too: how long completing a map takes affects the perception of its size.

Draw an x-axis and a y-axis around a map in DoomBuilder. See how long said lines are and that will give you a rough area of the map as a square - whichever map has the largest x- and y- dimensions would presumably also have the largest playable area and therefore definitively be the largest. Memorial is probably ther biggest, but as it's all of Doom 2 in one map, other, from-scratch, huge maps should probably be taken into consideration.

What exactly are you measuring biggest map by? Sidedefs, linedefs, mapunits in area (volume?), time to complete, number of monsters?

That Kdizd map, jade earth, the one you linked, and map 21 of newgothic are all around the same size give or take 3-5k mu in diagonal length or 5-10k in linedefs, but I'm sure there are bigger maps out there. Sunder map 10 is slightly bigger in diagonal length than any of them, but has a mere 13k linedefs. Compare that to map 14, with 7k less diagonal length but 50k linedefs - 20k more than o34 or jadearth, 15k more than ng map 21. All those hexagonal structures.

Now the dsda uvmaxes for those are interesting - map 10 of sunder goes from 54 minutes to 40, while map 14's only max is at 35 minutes. Whereas o34 has a max attempt at 1hr 10minutes, jadeearth has maxes at 1 hr 5 min, and map 21 of ng is 1hr 10 min. I couldn't find a max time for z1m10.

And monstercounts. NG 21 is 3.6k, sunder m10 is 2.5k, m14 is 1k, o34 is 900, and jadeearth (version I have saved) is 1k. z1m10 of kdizd is a mere 360 or so at start, although there's probably lots of spawned monsters.

This is ignoring deus vult or dv2 or any number of other slaughter maps that I don't remember or want to look up at 4am.

ArmouredBlood said:
Now the dsda uvmaxes for those are interesting - map 10 of sunder goes from 54 minutes to 40,[/B]

Sunder Quest?

General Rainbow Bacon said:

We need to get that guy to post Megamind here, I'd really like to see it.

Same, although the last comment on the video was from 4 months ago, he was active on youtube just yesterday, so here's hoping. I like how everything is packed in, doesn't waste any space.

rjspace31 by earthquake is a 32640x32640x6144 box with 15.5k linedefs and 14 monsters.
the only max for it (or what counts as max in zdaemon rocket jumping maps) i know of is my own desperate marathon that took 2hrs 45min. at least an hour can be sliced off, you just have to sacrifice a few months to intensive practice (or you are timeofdeath). :P

lols damn, nice marathon, EQ must have added lots to it. I'm a dick for not checking it out yet, but I haven't done any serious rjumping in a few years.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

If someone could get his email address we could ask him.

I'm talking to him at the moment via youtube, I'd just post it but it seems that's bad netiquette when it comes to other wad authors' work.

Some of eternal doom maps are as big as vanilla doom can handle. There were changes as trivial as merging stimpacks into medkit just so the doom engine could handle it.

I believe that map was made for Skulltag, because the Skulltag-exclusive stuff is not present in ZDoom at all, thus explaining the long loading time.

Interesting wad. Very difficult, but I was able to beat it by strafe-running to the nearest corner.