Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buu342

What is wrong with the floors?

Ive been experiencing a few errors when playing my doom map. Some of the floors turned reflective? They just reflect the wall textures, making it look like its reflecting.

Ive had this problem before, and i fixed it by changing the floor height. but now i cannot do that because i need the floors at the height they are.

Ill upload somenpictures if needed.

That sounds REALLY weird, and I would not expect it to happen. Are the patches actually bleeding through the flats? Because that can happen sometimes. More importantly, what map format or source port are you developing this in? Something that uses the software renderer, or GZDoom?

I would definitely like pictures to get a better idea of what's happening.

It does sound like patches are bleeding into the floors, but without a pic, I can't be sure. Such behaviour may be cause by the fact that the walls are rendered on the top of floors in general; back in 2001-ish, I experimented a bit with transparent Boom linedefs (type 260) and this behaviour to fake reflective floors.

Are the 'wall' textures that are exhibiting this behaviour actually two-sided linedefs with a patch on the middle? That's a thing to be careful of -- on a one-sided wall, anything less than 128 pixels tall will be 'clipped' to look right, but on a two-sided linedef this isn't always the case.

Again, pictures would definitely help.

Are you using self-referencing sectors? They can look odd if not done properly.

A picture is worth a thousand words, please post some.

Im using doom in skulltag format, and using skulltag to run it.

Lemme fire up the screens....

Melon said:

Is the red brick a midtexture that's partially sunk into the floor?

Yes

There's your problem. In Doom's software renderer, midtextures on two-sided lines need to be drawn after the floor is drawn so you can see them, but the engine doesn't clip them if they go through the floor and draws all of it.

The engine won't draw the midtexture over another sector, so this issue can be fixed by putting a 1-pixel wide sector around your wall and then dropping this thin sector's light level by a single point. (Dropping the light level needs to be done because the node builders like to try and optimize levels by combining identical sectors whenever it can when making visplanes, and having a slightly different light level makes them not identical to stop it from doing this.)

I hope that made sense.

EDIT: Looks like you don't need the dummy sector according to 40oz below. I learned something today.

Middle textures will show up and "bleed" through the floor if some of the texture is offsetted under it. A shortcut method to fixing this is to change the light levels of the two sectors that the wall textures are in between. (even if you change the lighting by one unit)

This seperates the sectors into seperate "visplanes" which will clip the texture at the floor level like you want.

40oz said:

Middle textures will show up and "bleed" through the floor if some of the texture is offsetted under it. A shortcut method to fixing this is to change the light levels of the two sectors that the wall textures are in between. (even if you change the lighting by one unit)

This seperates the sectors into seperate "visplanes" which will clip the texture at the floor level like you want.

Thanks! That solved everything!

Incase any1 was wondering, i am making gm_construct from gmod into doom and turn it to a deathmatch map : D

What I want to know is, why the middle-textured linedefs here? Why not simply raise a floor to meet the ceiling with the redwall texture to the same end?

As it is, projectiles and bullets are likely to go through those red walls, unless there's a sector behind blocking them. In which case, I refer you to my first point there instead.