Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Various vanilla editing questions

Hi all, I'm looking for some help with editing in vanilla doom. So have a look at these scenarios and see if you can help me with them.

How do I raise/lower sectors like this at the same time?

And how do I use the stairs build special along a path like this?

Any help would be appreciated

He'd lose the 3D effect if he merged them. (Which is quite pronounced here by the way; a height difference of just one or two map units would seem more reasonable and less like a trip hazard.)

If the sectors all have the same tag, and you use a platform special that moves by value rather than to lowest/highest/nearest neighboring floor/ceiling, then they should all move together and maintain the structure. The only such specials in vanilla allow to raise the tagged sectors by 24 or 32 units. This is all you can do.

For the stairbuilding question, remember that stairs are propagated by two-sided linedefs where the first side (the little peg in the map editor) is pointed to the previous step. So, it's just a question of flipping linedefs. Also, make sure that the sides of the steps are pointed towards the room sector so that it isn't transformed into a step.

boris said:

Chubz doesn't know about flood fill, apparently. Nor about selecting the sectors in sector mode, switching to linedef mode, and giving them lower textures all at once.

Gez said:

This is all you can do.

*cough* AV level 24 *cough* It's once-only, though.

The only vanilla-compatible options I know of are patch replacement (naming your patches so they'll replace an existing animated texture) or using one of the animations that doesn't appear in all IWADs. There's a list in the Wiki.

Did you add the patches to PNAMES & TEXTURE1 (assuming they exist in your wad)? Suppose I should have made that clear - sorry.

Should run fine in Chocolate Doom, is WFALL4 appearing above WFALL1 in the texture list? The numbers should run sequentially from top to bottom.

Nick bakers boom trick demo wad* has a lift with objects on it. I believe it works with vanilla, some require boom. Note that the effect will 'break' if the player/monster is raised into a ceiling, the other sectors will continue moving. Pretty easy to avoid.

The effect in AV24 is a bit of a hack.

* http://haunt.8m.com/levels.html