Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What do you think about Dave Mustaine?

DoomUK said:

Never heard of Christian black metal, huh?

I've heard of it. I just think it's a retarded attempt at heavily religiously devoted people attempting to make very non-religious cultural things "clean" for the religiously devoted. Seriously, either go back to church or cut the crap and get into real metal, not both. I should note that I don't have a problem with religious people listening to metal, I do have a problem with them taking the satanic themes too seriously and trying to water the music down to avoid teh evil demonic themes or some crap like that.

Sodaholic said:

I do have a problem with them taking the satanic themes too seriously

Like (regular, kvlt and tr00) black metal, then. ;)

To be honest I never take metal lyrics very seriously anyway. I could have listened to many Christian metal bands before now and not realised I was listening to a Christian metal band.

Haha, I heard a few songs by Antestor before I knew they were "Holy Unblack Metal" as they call it (i.e. Christian black metal) and though they were pretty good. Seems that happened when they were first signed as well; they were on a strictly satanic/occult/non-christian label at first, and when it was found out they were actually a Christian band they got kicked out. Also deliciously hilarious that Hellhammer played drums on an album for them, but then again he's like the Samuel L. Jackson of the metal world--he'll play for anyone.

In fact that reminds me of a joke I played on a friend of mine. We used to joke about Hellhammer playing for anyone; well a while later we were talking about starting a new band (we'd worked together before) and while I normally play the drums I wanted to switch it up and do vocals, so we needed a drummer. I made a fake MSN account as Hellhammer and messaged him saying that "Hey, I heard you needed a drummer :D."

He caught on right away that it was a joke, but still was funny.

Vordakk said:

Seriously??? You mean Tom Araya as in the vocalist/bassist from Slayer? The guy who just strums mindlessly on his bass and adds nothing musically to the group while shouting hoarsely in monotone and forgetting half his lyrics onstage because of what a fucking mess he is? That Tom Araya?

I'll take Mustaine any day over Araya, sorry.

Haha, chill out. I just like him better. Slayer still got it. Besides, Mustaine also shouts hoarsely in monoton... or mumbles.

DoomUK said:

Heh, Reign in Blood is one of few albums in existence I can say I like every song off.

Well, I guess what he said was more harsh than what I think, I like the other songs but it does get a bit boring listening to the whole album between the two "gems".

On the other hand, I like all the songs on Show No Mercy, but don't know why Black Magic is everyone's favorite from it. I like it, but it's not one of my favorites from it and I wouldn't say it's in another league or something.

eargosedown said:

I feel like Slayer is amazing until they start singing. Then it's just same old same old and gets boring.

Heh, maybe it's the punk fan in me but unless it's really good I can't listen to any extended instrumental parts (what is this, freebird?) without getting bored.

And I like Araya's voice. It seems to fit their lyrical themes really well. Mustaine and Hetfield (I guess that's who sings in Metallica?) sound "sterile" to me.

Sodaholic said:

I just can't understand how thrash metal and religious devotion mix. Seems like an oxymoron.

Yeah man same with violent video games I will never play Sandy Petersen's maps again.

DuckReconMajor said:

Yeah man same with violent video games I will never play Sandy Petersen's maps again.

Petersen's maps were bad because they were ugly, and the gameplay was sloppy and I didn't get very much joy from exploring them. Maps like E2M2 and E2M4 were brilliant because of the exploration, flow, and rooms. The whole game should've been like that, if you ask me.

Sodaholic said:

Petersen's maps were bad because they were ugly, and the gameplay was sloppy and I didn't get very much joy from exploring them. Maps like E2M2 and E2M4 were brilliant because of the exploration, flow, and rooms. The whole game should've been like that, if you ask me.

Once again, your post is here forever.

Marnetmar said:

Once again, your post is here forever.

But; is it really that bad? :P

No seriously though, in no way did I imply that his religion had anything to do with it. Petersen is someone that I'd describe as actually good when it comes to how he feels about the media: he takes no offense to the satanic themes in the game, and that he kept his work secular. That still doesn't mean that I have to like the gameplay in his maps, though. Besides, his Doom 2 maps aren't so bad, it's just his Doom 1 maps that I hate.

What I WAS talking about was people that DO take the satanic themes so seriously to the point of finding them offensive where they end up making their own form of whatever media it is that they find offensive and watering it down being all "godly" while trying to act like it's still badass.

No I respect your opinion but you never really responded to the point I was making.

Ok I see you've ninja edited your post, thanks for clearing that up.

Slayer sucks after the first 2 albums, used to like Reign in Blood as a kid but after listening to it more recently it sounds like generic regurgitated boring thrash thanks to Kerry King's shitty 'guitar work' and Araya's monotone vocals, as for Mustaine, he blows hard.

lol that's funny, inspired by this thread I actually went back and listened to it and suddenly found a new appreciation for it. I've listened to it like 5 times in the past week or so.

I'm not too familiar with Dave Mustaine, but I like his song "Hangar 18" which he made with Megadeth. I'm sure a lot of you know that the song "Running from Evil" from Doom 2 is based on this song.

Heh did you play Guitar Hero 2 as well NitroactiveStudios? That's pretty much the only song I knew until this thread came up and I started looking into more of their stuff.

DuckReconMajor said:

Heh did you play Guitar Hero 2 as well NitroactiveStudios? That's pretty much the only song I knew until this thread came up and I started looking into more of their stuff.

I don't remember if I played Guitar Hero 2 but I do remember playing one of the games from the series.

DuckReconMajor said:

Was it the one with Hangar 18 on it? Or do you know it from Doom?

I learned about the song "Hangar 18" when I became a huge fan of Doom.

I like Mustaine, I think he's a pretty decent guy. Perhaps a little misguided in certain aspects, sure. The dude guest starred in a hilarious episode of Duck Dodgers, I can't really rip on a guy for doing that, even for something as boneheaded as endorsing Santorum.

I think he's an ugly woman :-)

I rmemeber listening to a christian dark metal band. it was basically the same lyrics just in the point of view of satan.

TheEndOfUs said:

Its ironic, cause listening to christian black metal is probably the most "satanic" thing one can do.

The majority of black metal musicians are atheist so the anti-anti-thesis becomes a self defeating caricature of itself.

yellowmadness54 said:

I believe the term for Christian Black Metal is "White Metal"

That's an unofficial term. It's still technically Black Metal. Also, "White Metal" started off as a style of Doom Metal by Trouble.

TheEndOfUs said:

Its ironic, cause listening to christian black metal is probably the most "satanic" thing one can do.

How so?

Megadeth Singer -- Obama 'Staged' Aurora Shooting Massacre

Dave Mustaine -- the lead singer of Megadeth -- believes Barack Obama "staged" the massacre in Aurora, CO in a sick, twisted plot to pass a gun ban.

Mustaine made the comments on stage at an August 7 performance in Singapore ... when he told the crowd, "Back in my country, my president ... he's trying to pass a gun ban, so he's staging all of these murders, like the 'Fast And Furious' thing down at the border ... Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there ... and now the beautiful people at the Sikh temple."

He continued, "I don't know where I'm gonna live if America keeps going the way it's going because it looks like it's turning into Nazi America."

Obviously, Mustaine is not an Obama fan ... and recently bashed the President during an interview with Alex Jones ... saying, "With all of the proof about his birth certificate being fake. And you see the signs in Kenya that say 'the birthplace of Barack Obama.' Hello?! C'mon, guys. How stupid are we right now?"

HAHAHAHA!!!