Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Changing brightness of walls, not ceilings

The brightness of any given area in a Doom map is determined by the sector, not the linedef. I get that. But is there any way around this? If I wanted to create some nice lighting contrast by only adjusting the brightness of a wall, is this possible?

Not sure about Doom Builder 2, but I know that in GZDoom Builder -- in UDMF format, anyway -- you can adjust the light of walls, ceilings, and floors, independently by going to Edit Linedef > Sidedefs > Custom fields..., then changing the "light integer" to plus or minus whatever the sector light is.

Example: If you had a Sector with light of 32, and you wanted the wall to have a light of 64, you put "32" and Value. Likewise, if you wanted the Sidedef to have a light of "0" you'd input "-32" in the same place.

Sorry if this is incompatible, or inapplicable, to/with your situation.

Example screenshot.

Another way to do it would be to make a pixel-thin Sector protruding from the wall. If this creates a lit area on the floor/ceiling that you don't want, then I believe you can just move both of those up/down, out of the player's view, then delete the texture within, and they'll just see the floor's/ceiling's texture repeating, and won't even notice it's just a slime trail.

P.S. also maybe use "transfer light" specials from other sectors with your designed floor/ceiling light level?

EDIT: I don't know what a 'light thing' is, but that does sound easier, heh.

Edit: SonicIce beat me by 2 minutes.

If it's boom/vanilla compatible, you can make a small sliver of a sector to give the wall a light. Here is an example done in a grid size of 1:

It's barely noticeable unless you are directly looking for it.

If it's Boom-compatible, rather than bothering to make the sector so thin, you'd be better off just using a floor light transfer and a ceiling light transfer to keep the floor and ceiling the same brightness as the surrounding room while brightening up the wall. A bunch of the lighting in Vaporware Demo was done this way.

A while ago someone pointed out that (for a seamless look in vanilla) you can delete the 3rd vertex of the "slither" (providing your editor won't correct sector references) or move it atop one of the other vertices in the sector and you get the same effect minus the floor ceiling of the "slither". You can even change floor/ceiling heights to mount a light on the wall so to speak.

Wow! A lot of different methods. I was thinking of implementing this in a strictly vanilla map I'm working on. I'll have to try one of these methods and see which one looks best.

Just a quick example I souped up, in case any newbies wander by and have no idea what we're talking about.

In Doom Builder, and

In Doom (software mode).

I've heard of it before, but it's the first time I try this 'trick,' and I'm surprised at how well it works.

Of course in actuality, you'd want to make the holes small enough so that the player couldn't fall through.

*Oh, lol, I forgot the lighting! Well, you get the idea of the repeating floor/ceiling textures at least. Okay, time for the morning coffee...