Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

3 Doom Editing Quesitons

Hey guys I have 3 Doom Editing questions.

1. First off, I want to know about this thing that I found in some Doom WADs. Sometimes when I open a Doom map to look at it, I see a mess of linedefs instead of the real thing. I mean, it looks like this. There's also a WAD that I tried to look at that I couldn't look at because the map wouldn't appear in the map selection screen in Doom Builder 2. How is this done? Is it done to protect maps from being edited?

2. In Plutonia 2, I found this cool bridge on MAP21 and found other related bridges in the WAD as well. I'm able to go over it and under it. Here's a picture of it:

I tried to make it, but it didn't go well. Can someone give me step by step instuctions on how to do it right?

3. Finally I would like to know how to place custom textures with custom names in a Doom WAD that are both from Plutonia 2 as well. I would like the linedef texture BLACK and the flat texture FB (which I think is the TAR file I found in the WAD if not then tell me what it is). Here's what they look like:

I tried copying and pasting them in the Doom WAD, but they didn't show up. So how do I do this? Can someone give me step by step instructions for this one too?

1. That's because the map is in Hexen format or UDMF and you are trying to open it in Doom format. If you choose the wrong format, sometimes maps don't appear at all and sometimes you can see that mess.

2. Those bridges are relatively complicated to build. The point is in overlapping linedefs and sectors and instant lowering and raising the bridge sector according to player's location. I personally don't like those bridges, because they have some side effects. They are making noise when you are walking near it, they behave weird when a monster or more than one player are on it. There are better ways how to make bridges, like the bridge things in ZDoom or height transfers (Boom compatible maps, I think). I cannot explain you in steps how to make it but I don't recommend you to make bridges such way at all.

3. I'm not sure if I understand your question right. I suppose you are using Slade and you placed a texture in your wad, but you cannot use it with Doom Builder. If it's as I said, you need to also add the texture to TEXTURE1 lump (by right clicking on the texture in Slade and selecting Gfx->Add to TEXTUREx). (?) You don't have to do it with flats.

For #1: That's what happens when you open a map in the wrong format. DO NOT SAVE IT IF YOU'VE OPENED IT LIKE THAT. If you did, I hope you have a backup. Only way around that is to figure out what map format the level's in.

For #2: I could be wrong, but I think this is what you're looking for:

For #3: You have to make sure you add the textures/patches you want on walls into your P_NAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps in your wad. Flats are a little trickier. Flats you have to place in your wad between an F_START lump and a F_END lump--however (and I may well be wrong, but) I think with vanilla compatible wads you can't actually add more flats, only replace existing ones.

#1: Looks like you're attempting to open a Hexen format map when Doom Builder's expecting Doom format. As for maps not appearing in the Map Selector, that can be due to the maps having been given non-standard names (easily done in Slade) or being in the wrong format - ExMx instead of MAPxx.

#2: Looks much like the 3D bridge in this tutorial.

#3: Depends on the port you're mapping for. For the ZDoom family, you can place both flat and texture between TX_START/TX_END markers and use them interchangeably, otherwise do as Nomad suggested.

OK thanks guys. And GreyGhost, can I please have some step by step instructions on how to make the 3D bridge in Doom 2 format so that I can know what to do first so that I can do it right? And can you show pictures too?

Pottus said:

From what I understand there are a few ways of doing it, here is my method.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c3l93lsd4p0pxq6

I tried your method but I need your help.

I made the tiny frame sector around the bridge in my test WAD like how you did in yours. But here's the deal.

Here's how the frame sector in your WAD light's up when I mouse over it: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4981/vbosprob1.png

Here's how the frame sector in my WAD light's up when I mouse over it: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6610/vbosprob2.png

How do I fix this so that it lights up like yours?

NitroactiveStudios said:

And GreyGhost, can I please have some step by step instructions on how to make the 3D bridge in Doom 2 format so that I can know what to do first so that I can do it right? And can you show pictures too?

Can do, though having struck a couple of problems with that tutorial bridge I'll first be checking out a couple of others to see where I'm going wrong.

NitroactiveStudios said:

How do I fix this so that it lights up like yours?

Edit the shorter linedefs so the back is referencing the same sector as the front, in pottus' example map both sides are facing sector 6.

Pottus said:

Ok, i'm going to make a video for you then starting from scratch.

OK and will you post it here when you're done with it?