Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

WAD idea: Boss levels for each type of monsters.

In Doom, there were 3 boss levels to 3 species of monsters: Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. Now I got an idea about it: what if there would be a WAD with 17 levels as boss levels for the 17 species of monsters?

There would be other monsters on the level, unlike in 1Monster WAD, but the final fight for the exit would be played between the player and the specific type of monster - which would be one monster, a smaller team, or a large horde, depending on the power.

What do you think about it? IMO it's a bit similar to 1Monster, because imagine: each type of monster could get a custom boss level with custom style!

I like the idea a lot. Are you thinking of making new bosses, or just boss-like encounters for each type of enemy? For instance, the Sergeant's boss stage could either be an area full of monster closets and ambushes -- with Sergeants laying it wait -- or just one tough, SSG wielding Sarge. Or something.

Or perhaps I've completely missed your point... It's certainly possible.

schwerpunk said:

Are you thinking of making new bosses, or just boss-like encounters for each type of enemy? For instance, the Sergeant's boss stage could either be an area full of monster closets and ambushes -- with Sergeants laying it wait -- or just one tough, SSG wielding Sarge. Or something.

No custom monsters, only the original ones as bosses. A whole army from the weaker ones and a team or only a single individum from the stronger ones.

Katamori said:

No custom monsters,

Custom, but perhaps only as far as maybe scaling the sprite up to 125% to make it appear bigger/boss-like.

arkore said:

Custom, but perhaps only as far as maybe scaling the sprite up to 125% to make it appear bigger/boss-like.

Okay but what about compatibility? I think it should be Boom-compatible, if ZDoom and other features aren't too important.

I like it, but I'd probably start the boss maps with the chaingunners.

There's only so much build-up you can give a former human.

No problem: trooper is boss of MAP01, which has no items, health, or weapons. You start out with 01% health and no bullets (can be done with DeHackEd). Can you fist the trooper before he nails you?

If that's still too easy, add barrels and voodoo dolls...

If you're going to go through with this, can I help? I've got some ideas I'd love to use. =D

hex11: Lol you are a genius! I though only about hordes of zombiemen.
Obsidian: I appreciate for all kinds of help, but I don't start it yet =)

Lüt said:

I like it, but I'd probably start the boss maps with the chaingunners.

There's only so much build-up you can give a former human.

I think E1M1 did it pretty well. :P

Alwaysdoomed said:

I'm already doing something similar too this but has a boss at the end of each map. It of course can only be played on zdoom and maby gzdoom.

If you wanna check it out its right here http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/59768-death-eternalwip-each-map-ends-with-a-boss/

Inetesring, maybe I've seen it before, I don't remember...

Anyway, I'd like to do this idea in Boom-compatible way.