Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

do any wads "properly" use the s.s soldier?

From what I've seen, wads that use the wolfenstein s.s soldier in non-wolfenstein levels are usually criticized. Are there any wads that "tastefully" use the S.S soldier? Or the commander keen dolls for that matter.

Jokewads **, and tbh only new mappers tend to make the mistake of using them in a mapset, hell I made that mistake too when i first started mapping. I used them because i wanted another human like monster that shot faster than a shotgunner but not as fast as a chaingunner.

Speed of Doom's binary flavoured map, 1010011010, uses Keens in a way that looks thematically consistent, and Ticket to Eternity from PL2 also springs to mind as an appropriate use of the "monster". The blue uniform of the SS makes it a difficult enemy to employ in most maps, however, so it almost always looks out of place... but something about their use in Requiem's map23 seems doubly sinister. Perhaps it's because they're ghosts, or maybe it's because of the bombastic insanity that is Klem's Dry Rot? That map is a winner by all accounts anyway, and the emergence of the SS officers from out a fount' of blood doesn't put me off my play one bit.

The best way to use it is to provide replacement sprites and sounds. The "Rapid Fire Trooper" is a good bet.

Gez said:

The "Rapid Fire Trooper" is a good bet.

is this the PC term for erik's plasmadicks?

i also loved eternall's cloaked troopers in epic2, they were used in the most tasteful manner.

dew said:

is this the PC term for erik's plasmadicks?

Nah, the Rapid Fire Trooper is a zombie variant that I believe NMN sprited for KDiZD, that has similar "more than a zombieman but less than a chaingunner" behavior to the SS Nazi. They're more or less functionally equivalent.

esselfortium said:

Nah, the Rapid Fire Trooper is a zombie variant that I believe NMN sprited for KDiZD, that has similar "more than a zombieman but less than a chaingunner" behavior to the SS Nazi. They're more or less functionally equivalent.

They're a bit better in strength than Doom SS Nazis, but weaker in health. Note that Sergeants actually have more firepower in sustained fire, than the SS. In any case, I find it sissy to disapprove the SS Nazis just because of their sprites and sounds. They should be used more often as lightweight zombies. At the very least, if you really need to change their graphics, keep their behavior intact.

To be honest, Wolf 3D resources look out of place in ANY Doom WAD.

Wolf 3D and Doom are completely different in themes, so I have no idea why so many people are keen on combining the two.

After playing some wads by Eye del Cul I now don't have anything against SS soldiers, they're the same as zombies to me.

esselfortium said:

They're more or less functionally equivalent.

They use much weaker shots, IIRC.

Surprised no one has mentioned ALT's beautiful use of the SS Nazis for plot in the first couple of maps.

That's the first thing that came to my mind. Also I agree that Epic 2's replacement for them was one of the most unique things I've come across.

It's my understanding that the S.S. Nazi was included in the original game by id only as an Easter egg; thus its use in serious maps is frowned upon and considered the joke id had intended it to be. I think Commander Keen and John Romero's head (which was never meant to be seen by the player without cheating) would also fit into that category.

I agree with the other responses that replacing these things with something new and more fitting of the Doom atmosphere is the best way to go for a serious mapper.

Herculine said:

It's my understanding that the S.S. Nazi was included in the original game by id only as an Easter egg; thus its use in serious maps is frowned upon and considered the joke id had intended it to be.

It's also the lack of rotations when aiming/firing that can be the problem. At least that's why I've never used them in a map, they just look awkward if they get involved in a scuffle with anything else.

Cleimos 2 turned it into a kind of robot. Hellfire: Reborn turns it into a female zombie. Hellcore 2.0 turns it into an evil marine that shoots both rockets and plasma, but moves more slowly than the Scythe2 one.

Gez said:

It's a zombie used in KDiZD and some others. I'd have suggested the plasmadicks but felt it was better not to say you had to use both Dehacked and a sprite change to make them usable.

The Epic 2 cloaked guys are also from the Beastiary (but it originated in The Innocent Crew's Obituary).

I just tested it out, and I really like the Rapidfiretrooper that you linked to in the first link.