Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echoplex

formats and resources question

when changing the resource in Doombuilder, what is the most common format? i've been doing Zdoom (Doom in Doom format) but should i use another? (i ask because i see people use zdoom (doom in hexen format) often)

and right now i'm just using stuff from the Doom II wad, does it complicate the wad if i use textures and such from Doom, Doom II and Plutonia?

If you are modding for ZDoom (GZDoom/Skulltag/Zandronum/ScoreDoom/whatever) specifically, I would advise you to move to UDMF directly. Or Hexen format if you really want to, but UDMF is better.

See explanations here.

When doing the transition from Doom format to Hexen or UDMF, the greatest change is how linetypes are handled. In Doom format, you have a lot of linedef type, each correspond to a type of action and a mode of activation. In Hexen format and UDMF, there's a limited set of actions, but you can parameterize them to create variety, and you choose activation separately. (A common beginner's mistake is to forget to set an activation method for a door, so it doesn't open as the player cannot activate it.)

The ZDoom wiki lists all action specials. Note that you can also place them on things! If you place a Door_Open special on an imp, the door will open when the imp is killed. If you place it on a berserk pack, the door will open when the berserk pack is picked.

soooo...changing from Zdoom (Doom in doom format) to Zdoom (UDMF in Doom Format) can delete you maps...

How so?

If you mean you don't see your old maps anymore in the Doom Builder 2 selector, that's normal. They're not deleted, they're just hidden, since they do not correspond to the format. Go back to Doom format and they'll reappear (but any map in Hexen format or UDMF will disappear).

I assumed you were talking about creating new maps. If you want to keep working on maps that you have started in Doom format, then by all mean, finish them in Doom format.

no i changed the format of my exsisting maps, the warning that came up just said that some of my line defs may not work properly, so i assumed i had to redo some doors or switches which i was fine with.

my 4 maps got cleared out. give me a moment to mourn. (1 & 2 weren't too bad, smaller starter maps, but 3...that one was a lot of work and i just finished it 2 days ago)

Damn, that sucks if it's the case. I had a small map that I converted over - using 'Map Options' (F2) then changing the 'Game Configuration' and yeah, all my old linetypes -- doors, etc. -- were fudged, but other than that, no problem...

Quick question to the forum: I know Doom Builder 2 saves 'backup' files automatically. Is there a chance this guy could get his old map back, perhaps using one of those?

While you can copy/paste the linedefs in Doombuilder2 from one format to another in two instances, it does not convert the format itself.

For that use zwadconvert in utils050999.zip, to convert a vanilla map to zdoom hexen format.

Or use wad2udmf to convert to, well, UDMF format.

Echoplex said:

no i changed the format of my exsisting maps, the warning that came up just said that some of my line defs may not work properly, so i assumed i had to redo some doors or switches which i was fine with.

my 4 maps got cleared out. give me a moment to mourn. (1 & 2 weren't too bad, smaller starter maps, but 3...that one was a lot of work and i just finished it 2 days ago)

Look in your map folder, you should see backups.

Gez said:

Look in your map folder, you should see backups.

Couldn't find it, but oh well...I can rebuild it, i have the technology.

So im using this UDMF format, and i want to test my map, but when i click on test, it brings up an error saying " 'THINGS' not found in MAP01 " the only THING i have in my map is the palyer 1 start...any ideas?

UDMF maps are officially supported since ZDoom 2.3.0. Since I doubt you've gotten an older version; there must be something else wrong with the map.

If you open it in something like SLADE 3, do you see these lumps?
* MAP01
* TEXTMAP
* ENDMAP

There might be other lumps in between TEXTMAP and ENDMAP, but there shouldn't be anything between MAP01 (the map header) and TEXTMAP.

gaaaah i found the back ups!!!! :) thanks for the help guys. i think i'll just stick with Doom in Doom format, since i got it down pretty well