Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Are Doomguy the demons ever since E2?

If id's word is to be taken seriously in the ENDOOM lump, then it must be canon in the Doom universe that Hell is where "bad people go when they die". The end of E1 didn't actually have the player teleport to Hell at all, instead he was teleported to a random room in our universe and is slaughtered, and he wakes up in hell. This must mean that Doomguy was apparently a bad enough dude to be sent to Hell posthumously for whatever he has done wrong in his life. Does this mean that Doomguy are the demons for the rest of the series? Even though he may be attacking his fellow demons, as evidenced by the disemboweled Barons chained against the walls, and infighting being possible, demons are allowed to kill each other, apparently.

Sodaholic said:

is slaughtered, and he wakes up in hell. This must mean that Doomguy was apparently a bad enough dude to be sent to Hell posthumously

No. He clearly doesn't die in E1M8. Look at his health.

esselfortium said:

No, Sodaholic. You are the demons.

At least you're not Maes...

Grazza said:

No. He clearly doesn't die in E1M8. Look at his health.

And also you don't happen to be Gez, though he's more into ZDoom.

Sodaholic said:

If id's word is to be taken seriously in the ENDOOM lump, then it must be canon[...]

lol

Clonehunter said:

Demons kidnapped the president.

Are you a bad enough Doomguy to rescue the president?

Would play the Hell out of that WAD; just saying.

Vordakk said:

We just had a thread about this not long ago, dude. Do we really need to rehash it?

Not long ago? While it's not exactly ancient, it was still more than half a year ago.

esselfortium said:

And then Sodaholic posted another thread.

I love my threads. :3

Clonehunter said:

Demons kidnapped the president.

Are you a bad enough Doomguy to rescue the president?

I indeed referenced this in the OP.

Sodaholic said:

Doomguy was apparently a bad enough dude

schwerpunk said:

Would play the Hell out of that WAD; just saying.

Would you play the hell out of a WAD about a stoner cat high on magical meowijuana and shrooms killing imperial bunnies that are trying to invade and conquer his homeland of the magical island of Potland?

Vordakk said:

Do we really need to rehash it?

Not really. Even the most casual of players should have realized by now that Doomguy's Lawful Good alignment gives him an automatic saving throw against zombification, combine that with his Sacred Underwear of Respawning +2 and you have a hero that's pretty much un-killable.

Sodaholic said:

Would you play the hell out of a WAD about a stoner cat high on magical meowijuana and shrooms killing imperial bunnies that are trying to invade and conquer his homeland of the magical island of Potland?

Why not, couldn't be worse than the stuff Terry uploads. All I ask is that you don't make it a slaughtermap.

Sodaholic said:

Honestly, I feel like I've got the most I will out of this idea simply because it includes the term 'meowijuana.' That was just brilliant.

But it's like the trailer for Machete: Great trailer, but the pitch has already shown all the good bits.

I was serious about Bad Dudes - if it could be done well. Definitely would have to be HeXen, though. And it definitely will never happen.

printz said:

And also you don't happen to be Gez, though he's more into ZDoom.

Leave me out of whatever it is you are trying to imply.

esselfortium said:

No, Sodaholic. You are the demons.

And then Sodaholic posted another thread.

rofl :)

For the record, by the way, I asked Romero about this issue several years ago. Though it's not entirely clear what happens at the end of E1, the intent is that yes, you died, went to Hell in E2, and woke up on Deimos which itself had been teleported to Hell. The intent, however, does not include you being a demon. Nothing implies you're possessed now (former human, etc). Nothing implies that you're a demonic spirit. There's no evidence to suggest that just because you died and were resurrected on Hell that you're somehow a depraved demon that wants to slaughter your pals.

That is kind of a cool idea though.

Grazza said:

He clearly doesn't die in E1M8. Look at his health.

Correct. Doomguy's positive health is the first clue that he doesn't die at the end of E1. The second clue is that he doesn't "wake up in Hell" as people in this thread are claiming, he's teleported to Deimos base, which floats above Hell, then after E2 he rappels down to Hell itself. The third clue is that he returns to Earth after the events of DOOM 1. The fourth clue is that his human appearance remains unchanged, evidenced by the ending screen after E4. All of this and more was eloquently discussed by me in the previous thread I linked to, check Page 2.

Vordakk said:

Correct. Doomguy's positive health is the first clue that he doesn't die at the end of E1. The second clue is that he doesn't "wake up in Hell" as people in this thread are claiming

If Romero says Doomguy died and woke up in hell, then Doomguy died and woke up in hell. Simple as that.

Sodaholic said:

If Romero says Doomguy died and woke up in hell, then Doomguy died and woke up in hell. Simple as that.

No.

Vordakk said:

No.

But Romero said it. How can it get any more official than that? Even if you don't TECHNICALLY die at the end of E1, it's very much implied.

Romero's opinion doesn't mean anything. I mean it's not like this is Star Wars with something like 10 levels of canon (!!)

But yea, I agree that you die at the end of E1 (possibly without noticing) and wake up in hell, or the beginning of E2.

Sodaholic said:

Dead people don't wake up. Simple as that.

Maybe Hell exists as an alternative universe with life, death and physics following somewhat different rules (in which case it might be business as usual for Doomguy), but on returning to this universe I'd expect him to cough up a lung-full of maggots and collapse in an untidy heap.

Well, he did kind of troll the usual way of things happening by killing the Spider Mastermind, then blowing up hell itself(!), so I doubt the rules apply to him.

Sodaholic said:

But Romero said it. How can it get any more official than that? Even if you don't TECHNICALLY die at the end of E1, it's very much implied.

I think what he said was "yep" as a fast answer to a possibly uninteresting question about a story he proceeded to call "filmsy-ass" (IIRC).

Doom is up to our imagination.

I'd like to see a mission pack where Doomguy becomes "the demons" and starts acquiring demonic elemental powers while beginning to partake into a hellish war that may or may not include regular humans as temporary allies or commodity. After defeating the Icon of Sin thrice, what's better than a promotion awarded by the higher forces of Hellheaven?

DoomUK said:

If Doomguy died, is Doom 2 guy and Final Doomguy the same Doomguy?

Genetically engineered clones.

DoomUK said:

If Doomguy died, is Doom 2 guy and Final Doomguy the same Doomguy?

That depends entirely on if you are the same guy playing the game.

40oz said:

That depends entirely on if you are the same guy playing the game.

Before this thread I always thought you were. Now my whole world has fallen apart.

No, Doomguy, you ARE the recipient of a 24th chromosome created by aliens which turns you into a superhuman and has got nothing whatsoever to do with Hell.

"You're my brother, Doomguy. I know you. Also there's no such thing as Hell."

Dear God, it's true - Doomguy has a sister, and she's the vilest creature known to man: A retcon-er! D: