Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Quake World Team Fortress?

Does anyone play QWTF anymore? I find it fun, and I only find servers once in a while, (using the built-in server finder in EZQuake)and when I do, no one is on, or I can't play. I have played ONCE, and I was wondering if you guys play it, since Quake is the 3D successor to Doom. :D

While I haven't checked myself, I heard that there are indeed still active servers, but that you need (or needed back in the day) it's own server browser (I could be wrong, though). I'd probably like it more than TF2, I just can't seem to get into it (and I'm starting to dislike the Source engine, it just feels bloated and slow, somehow).

Sodaholic said:

While I haven't checked myself, I heard that there are indeed still active servers, but that you need (or needed back in the day) it's own server browser (I could be wrong, though). I'd probably like it more than TF2, I just can't seem to get into it (and I'm starting to dislike the Source engine, it just feels bloated and slow, somehow).

The retards and baseball caps pretty much did me in.

Team Fortress Classic (for Half Life) is a nice balance, and there are still plenty of servers.

Yeah I have TFC, but I always liked playing games the 'original' way. I find TF2 very fun, and any Source game, but it's one of those games I only play when 'the mood' comes in.

Team Fortress Classic will always be my personal favorite - especially because of the extensive fun map community it cultivated. Lots of interesting custom map types to be had, but my favorites were "escape" maps where you played as civilians and worked together to explore/solve puzzles.

As for QWTF, I've played it intermittently in the summer a few times. Not sure about the original in its unmodded form, but last time I checked the CustomTF/ProzacTF community was generally always interested in impromptu games on their server. It's an interesting expansion off of standard QWTF, with a smattering of new features (most notably the ability to create your own classes and skills for them, though most people just pick the classic archetypes). I'd often join their server when there were only 2 or 3 others screwing around, and within an hour it'd ramp up to a 16 player match. Ah the magic of diehard Quake players.

If any Doomworld members want to organize games, I'd be interested in joining as well.

Sodaholic said:

I'd probably like it more than TF2, I just can't seem to get into it (and I'm starting to dislike the Source engine, it just feels bloated and slow, somehow).

The novelty of TF2 wore off for me when I realized I could only ever stand to play with my friends. The community just lacks the sort of easygoing sportsmanship of QWTF and TFC that made it a pleasure to jump onto random servers in the middle of the night. And virtually all FPSes made after 2002 have been getting progressively more clunky, it's not just you. Though I think TF2 still feels pretty slick compared to most of the other contemporary shooters people are playing out there.

StoneFrog said:

The novelty of TF2 wore off for me when I realized I could only ever stand to play with my friends. The community just lacks the sort of easygoing sportsmanship of QWTF and TFC that made it a pleasure to jump onto random servers in the middle of the night. And virtually all FPSes made after 2002 have been getting progressively more clunky, it's not just you. Though I think TF2 still feels pretty slick compared to most of the other contemporary shooters people are playing out there.

I can't believe people can play CoD or BattleField. As much as I already hate them, there are so many damn 12 year olds. Also in TF2. Like everyone else is saying, it's the players. Otherwise, it's a pretty good game. (Like I said before)