Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

MAELSTROM Project

My tiny little vanilla compatible Doom2 mapset is in progress/beta and I would like for you the community to try out the first 2 levels I've got for it.

The wads level progression is from:
Maps 1-2 Sewers
Maps 3-5 Cities
Maps 6-9 UAC Labs
Maps 10-14 Hell
Map 15 Finale

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?znhgb23d6y8oqvi

Hope you enjoy what I have so far :-)

walter confalonieri said:

15 levels in 40k rar file size? Sure those maps are been really short...

He stated these are the only first couple of maps.

Sounds like a neat little project, I'll give this a whirl soon.

Small, simplistic good maps. Low number of monsters, which is not wrong in first levels, but it still looks like the easiest skill on UV. I think you can make it better by adding more details (for example trees in the outdoor area) and more non-orthogonal walls. Anyways I'm looking forward to the whole mapset.

Spoiler

Please, don't do it with the crusher in the first map. Player should be somehow warned he is in danger before he's crushed. For example, the crusher should already be in move when player first see that area.

walter confalonieri said:

15 levels in 40k rar file size? Sure those maps are been really short...

The focus is to make small, but fun to play maps. You know, like Scythe and Demonfear :)

Fdas for the available maps
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewa7797ws26bpaw
Comments
Maps are pretty simple, but look easy on the eye so can't really complain. As someone else says, try and vary your angles a little more rather than having a wolf3d 90 degree walls theme.
Maps are very easy on UV, perhaps you should add a few more monsters just to liven the level up.
Exit door in map02 has no door action so you cannot exit the level.
As a whole not bad in my opinion.

made a fda video as like as the cannonball episode 1 remake for doom, when i finish to upload that thing, it will be posted in doom video post....

cannonball said:

Fdas for the available maps
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewa7797ws26bpaw
Comments
Maps are pretty simple, but look easy on the eye so can't really complain. As someone else says, try and vary your angles a little more rather than having a wolf3d 90 degree walls theme.
Maps are very easy on UV, perhaps you should add a few more monsters just to liven the level up.
Exit door in map02 has no door action so you cannot exit the level.
As a whole not bad in my opinion.

Dont worry updated the exit on map2 :) Also might add a new sky... Maybe the E4 sky?

Very simple, extremely easy maps that could use a few more monsters... Especially for Map02's back-tracking. Generally thinking, the design is as basic as can be, but you're showing a decent understanding of lighting and maintaining a consistent theme... It reminds me of my early work, kind of! Here are some tips/thoughts:

• Whenever you add a detail to the wall, you have to remember to upper/lower unpeg the adjacent linedef (e.g.- Map02 Linedef 436). While it isn't easy to spot with BRICK10, when you start to use other textures, this is a habit you'll want to have ingrained in your system
  • Also, upper unpeg textures above doors (Map02 linedef 468, egads!
  • Whenever you change ceiling height, try and remember to set the y-alignment on textures accordingly. (Map02 sector 12 & 13). Linedef 40 needs a y-alignment of -8. It's very tedious at first, I know, but you get used to it after a while :-/
  • Putting some imps at sector 47/48 is a good spot to place some monsters. Having an enemy attack from a different height adds a much-needed layer to gameplay.
  • Very orthogonal maps with symmetric rooms. Try messing around with different shapes other than squares.
  • One of the most important strengths a map can have is connectivity. Seeing into another room is great, creating a more natural path to eliminate most backtracking is fun, and it lends itself to height variation, which makes areas more exciting from both a visual and gameplay perspective.
There are a lot of strengths to be found here, as well (use of monster closets, the crusher, etc.). I always enjoy maps from a new author, and when they aren't a chore to play, it's a bonus! I'll be interested to see how things evolve from here. Looking forward to more work!

Snakes said:

Very simple, extremely easy maps that could use a few more monsters... Especially for Map02's back-tracking. Generally thinking, the design is as basic as can be, but you're showing a decent understanding of lighting and maintaining a consistent theme... It reminds me of my early work, kind of! Here are some tips/thoughts:

• Whenever you add a detail to the wall, you have to remember to upper/lower unpeg the adjacent linedef (e.g.- Map02 Linedef 436). While it isn't easy to spot with BRICK10, when you start to use other textures, this is a habit you'll want to have ingrained in your system
  • Also, upper unpeg textures above doors (Map02 linedef 468, egads!
  • Whenever you change ceiling height, try and remember to set the y-alignment on textures accordingly. (Map02 sector 12 & 13). Linedef 40 needs a y-alignment of -8. It's very tedious at first, I know, but you get used to it after a while :-/
  • Putting some imps at sector 47/48 is a good spot to place some monsters. Having an enemy attack from a different height adds a much-needed layer to gameplay.
  • Very orthogonal maps with symmetric rooms. Try messing around with different shapes other than squares.
  • One of the most important strengths a map can have is connectivity. Seeing into another room is great, creating a more natural path to eliminate most backtracking is fun, and it lends itself to height variation, which makes areas more exciting from both a visual and gameplay perspective.
There are a lot of strengths to be found here, as well (use of monster closets, the crusher, etc.). I always enjoy maps from a new author, and when they aren't a chore to play, it's a bonus! I'll be interested to see how things evolve from here. Looking forward to more work!

Thanks for suggesting tips :) Since I'm only 13 and have been working on DB2 only for like a yr and a half, It sorta explains why I have so many flaws like square rooms and easy maps. I have a problem of making a semi medium difficulty map into a cakewalk for a 2 yr old haha. Do you have any tips for difficulty and map design you could tell me please?