Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Two questions...

1: Need some inspiration for a level like Dead Simple, essentially a boss level like that. Could someone direct me to a WAD like this?

2: In the level of dead simple where after the mancubus' are killed, the walls open up the arachnatrons come out, and when they are killed the steps rise up, is this done with scripting or not. If scripting is needed, can it be done in Doom 2 form or does it have to be Zdoom compatible?

Dead simple's ending is done with special sector tags made specifically for certain maps. 666 and 667, I believe.

Marnetmar said:

Dead simple's ending is done with special sector tags made specifically for certain maps. 666 and 667, I believe.

And they only work on Map07

I could be wrong here, but is it possible to knock up some DeHackEd work to give monsters the same death codepointer as Commander Keen to open all doors with a tag number of 666 when they're all dead?

If your using ACS give all the things you want killed a thing ID that will activate something when they all die it's very simple.

Use some ACS to detect when that happens.

script 1 open
{
While (ThingCount(0,3) > 0) { delay(35); }
// Do some stuff ex
//
floor_lowerbyvalue(25,10,156);
}

There's really nothing saying that you have to do anything special on MAP07. I'm not sure why everyone who creates a megawad feels so inclined to have the map revolve around mancubuses and archnotrons. If you wanna do something truely unique, that shouldn't stop you, but personally, I grow tired of the MAP07 cliches.

EarthQuake said:

If you wanna do something truely unique, that shouldn't stop you, but personally, I grow tired of the MAP07 cliches.

I agree. Neither of my megawads use this device, though map07 of DB uses the mancs and such to activate other special stuff in the map, without the player ever coming into contact with them..sort of like a vanilla script.

Well I only use them for the effects of their deaths in 666 and 667 sector tags. Will add more monsters though

One other question, whenever I do a map analysis I get the error "Sector 25 is not closed". How do I fix this?

Take a close look at the sector to see where it's broken. Most likely causes are sidedefs that think they're facing another sector, or vertexes that are close but not touching.

In DB2, press M (Make Sector):
Pass the cursor over the sector.
If the sector is closed then only the linedefs for that sector will highlight. Sometimes many sectors have the same sector index, then all those sectors will highlight.

On the other hand, you might see not all linedefs highlighted, or a linedef of another sector will also highlight.
To close those sectors, click on the sector.
The sector will flash, indicating that the sector is fixed.

If the sector does not flash, then the easiest way to fix it is by redrawing the sector/s in Sector mode. Then retest.

If that did not help, then use GreyGhost's suggestion.