Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

What's up with the doom ending?

I know it's supposed to tell you that the demons were already on Earth but the music and bunny scared the SHIT outta me when I was 8. (It was around 2000.) I was like, "what the heck is up with the bunny!?" But when I look back, It's very amusing and the song is kickass! >:D

So, what's your thought on the ending?

It sets up the tongue-in-cheek plot for The Ultimate Doom's E4 fantastically and also looks pretty foreboding for Doom 2 if you've only got the original 3 Episode Doom.

I think of it as a "To be Continued" type ending, where you've finished the game but instead of being all sweetness and light there's a hint of more trouble ahead.

If I remember right the bunny was doomguys aka Flynn Taggarts pet which was slaughtered by demons

Please don't try to prove Flynn Taggart is Doomguy, the last person attempt that was banished from the forums and fed to a school of pacu. As for the bunny, I suspect Doomguy ate it. Poor guy wouldn't have had a decent meal since departing the dropship on Phobos.

GreyGhost said:

Poor guy wouldn't have had a decent meal since departing the dropship on Phobos.

I always thought this was the big flaw in Doom64guy's plan to stay in Hell forever to kill any demon that emerges.

What about all the health potions. And I always imagined he ate all the soul and other spheres. And demon meat probably tastes like chicken.

I just played through Doom64 and when I read the end story.. it sort of sounded like Doomguy took the mother demon's place, became a demon and now commands the demon army.

GreyGhost said:

Please don't try to prove Flynn Taggart is Doomguy, the last person attempt that was banished from the forums and fed to a school of pacu

Havent heard from that banishing case. Didn't knew people are so uptight and sensitive here about doomguys name. I just call him flynn because of the books. And the rabbit was his pet as said before. nuff said

GreyGhost said:

Please don't try to prove Flynn Taggart is Doomguy, the last person attempt that was banished from the forums and fed to a school of pacu.

Are those fish going to be a site wide joke now?

In a forum that's full of fishy avatars - why not?

Waffenak said:

Havent heard from that banishing case.

There was little left after the fish had finished eating, they in turn were caught and sold to a local fishmonger. After the offending posts had been purged from the forums there was scant evidence left to prove that blasphemer ever existed.

Didn't knew people are so uptight and sensitive here about doomguys name. I just call him flynn because of the books.

You've been reading the wrong books, his name's Buddy Dacote

And the rabbit was his pet as said before.

The bunny was made Doomguy's pet when Episode 4 was tacked onto Doom, before then it was just a quick snack for a ravenous space marine.

GreyGhost said:

You've been reading the wrong books, his name's Buddy Dacote

That name sounds plain goofy. I stick with the Taggart because it sounds more "marine".

Poor bunny bun!

After completing the game and seeing that all I wanted to do was go back and kill more demons, this time just for sweet revenge!

This overlaps with the Doom confessional thread, but back when I first saw the E3 ending screen, a film I was familiar with at the time was Bambi (as I was 5-6 at the time), who has black tips to his ears.

So I thought that was a dead deer/fawn at the end, rather than a rabbit's head on a stick. Playing E4 later set me straight on that particular misconception.

The Doomguy's name is not Flynn Taggart, nor Buddy Dacote, nor anything else. He is the marine with no name. The only name he is ever given is "you".

The episode 3 ending bunnies were just normal wildlife, to contrast the peaceful rural scene of the first screen with the devastation of the second screen.

Making that bunny the Doomguy's pet in the E4 end text was a bit of jocular retcon.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

@Gez:

So. Wait. Bunnies live in Hell?

Yes. Same as human cities and grass. It's all in Hell. That's why the sequel is entitled "Doom II: Hell on Hell". The storyline at the end of Episode 3 is that Doomguy has proven too tough for Hell, so Hell opens a portal back to Hell. And there, Doomguy takes the portal, says he's home at last, but finds out that demons have invaded Hell too!

:I

Gez said:

The Doomguy's name is not Flynn Taggart, nor Buddy Dacote, nor anything else. He is the marine with no name. The only name he is ever given is "you".

Of course it's Dacote, don't forget the name's an acronym.

Dies
At
Conclusion
Of
This
Episode

It all fits. Doomguy start E2M1 with a pistol and 50 bullets, just as he would any other map after dying. Only his indomitable spirit keeps him from being zombified.

He also starts like that in e3m1, e4m1 and at the beginning of doom 2. Did he died four times?

That's probably the case with E3M1, the rappelling rope breaks because he's carrying too much gear from E2M8. As for the other two, believing hell's been defeated he's probably disposed of his excess kit, dumped in the nearest inescapable lava pit would be my guess.

Avoozl said:

I feel Taggart sounds more like a detectives name, but that's just me.

Ever since I saw Galaxy Quest again Taggart makes me think of Tim Allen.

GreyGhost said:

the last person attempt that was banished from the forums and fed to a school of pacu

You've certainly piqued my curiosity. Is this a thread that I might be able to locate, or were the posts really purged from the forums?