Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This looks like a really cool blog idea. There are so many good WADs that slip through the cracks of time, and this will help revive interest in forgotten classics! I am guilty of resorting to Cacoward WADs when looking to play new material, its quicker and easier than sifting through the (mostly) tides of shit released on /newstuff. Submit it as a level review link as well.

I will do review snippets like the normal Facie. They may be a few at a time and three or so review posts for a year; it depends.

First however it's entirely open to suggestion if you (or anyone) feel(s) something really mentionable from the year is still being missed.

One of my thoughts is to give other authors a chance as well when selecting wads,, so I am not likely to include something primarily from an author or group that already got a top ten that year unless it's just something totally exquisite.

Let's not start that again.

*makes a beeline for the database to start voting down wads*

I can't read this blog without knowing whether my peers have a favourable opinion of it.

There are a lot of doom wad reviews out there now which cover a broad spectrum of wads, though there nothing wrong with a fresh face which might give a new and worthwhile opinion on wads.
If you are starting from 2004, a megawad which was shamefully missed out on the cacowards is Vile Flesh.

First of all I'd like to ask politely please don't make fun or joke based on past behavior.

I'm on edge with Vile Flesh. There are professionalism issues abound like tons of misalignments, etc. It's seemed to have lost reputation some as well, and I have still yet to play a majority of it. Nonetheless this is just what input is open for! :) There are definitely stuff I may add based on popular demand. I need a thought of what to remove in its place as well though.

Comments on the blog are also welcome and can discuss the same thing (watching both thread and blog - so either or both are fine).

"Professionalism issues"? "Lost reputation"? "Popular demand"?

That past doesn't seem to be too far behind you. Since you flaunt your old name, I'd like to ask politely please don't spam my inbox with random rants about unknown people I have no relation to.

I have no plans with private messages, in any case.

But, I don't see how you can accuse any of the quoted terms to be "my past". They are things that presumably get (and certainly should receive) consideration for any awards listings. Especially popular demand - that is exactly what the nomination threads are for!

Making what I want to be envisioned as a semi-official list of "alternate cacowards", yet having it be 100% based on my opinion and nobody else's, would seem just as inappropriate as not weighing my opinions at all. It's about balance, not relying all on one person or side!

Reviews will generally reflect my opinion, since that's pretty much the definition of review, but the picks themselves deserve a good balance, just as Hobbs or Scuba Steve would never let their personal opinions play full dominance in a cacos list

Brandon, in all seriousness, fuck consideration and popular demand... if you wanna do this shit, do it for your own pleasure. Anything you do, however you word it, will always be 100% your own opinion. Pick whatever the fuck you like to play, do whatever the fuck you want to do, and forget about everybody else. Some may like it, some may not, some may not even give the slightest semblance of a flying fuck... if it makes you happy, do it. This isn't the Academy Awards, this is Doom... it's supposed to be fun!

Simply put, you express yourself with the same grandiloquence and focus on popularity, now as you did then. Apparently, you can't see it, and in itself that says something.

If you want to show you've truly left that obsessive attitude behind, the first step would be to ignore your detractors and work on your blog.

But hey, don't listen to me - none of my wads are rated above 4!

Phml said:

But hey, don't listen to me - none of my wads are rated above 4!

Neither are mine! Maybe he can look at our wads and tell us what we could've done to get them to a 4 rating... now THAT'S something I would read

[Edit] Brandon, if you want to review wads, why don't you go and help out at the newstuff review center?

glenzinho said:

[Edit] Brandon, if you want to review wads, why don't you go and help out at the newstuff review center?

I was thinking the very same thing a couple of days ago. I browsed some old newstuff chronicles and read quite a few of mdoomers reviews, which I enjoyed. They were very describing of the wads and quite neutral, which I like.

Also about the blog, just do what YOU like, keep adding stuff, keep making lists, keep up...whatever. The more content, the more browse-worthy, interesting, comment- and discussion worthy it will be, eventually.

The lost caco feature was inspired by the Doomworld referenced thread.

I guess I'll blog based mostly on what I think (other than voluntary voices/suggestions); need some comment flow (either blog or this thread) to keep things interesting/enjoyable though. :)

d@ngib5on said:

First of all I'd like to ask politely please don't make fun or joke based on past behavior.

Sorry Brandon, no offense meant. Unfortunately, few of us manage to escape our past, the best you can hope for is a gradual collective amnesia but that largely depends on your not reverting to past behavior.

Any chance of having links, short descriptions, and/or a screenshot or two? Kind of like the actual Cacoward format, really.

jerrysheppy said:

Any chance of having links, short descriptions, and/or a screenshot or two? Kind of like the actual Cacoward format, really.

Was thinking pretty much this.

I do like the overall idea. On occasions when I run out of wads, It would be great to see a 'backup' cacoward list as it is a neat idea at any rate.