Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

2 more demo releases

Here is a demo of my limit removing Doom2 megawad: DL(map01-map04)
And here is a demo of my vanilla Doom1 megawad: DL(e1m1,e2m1,e3m1,e4m1)
Pics:

All levels are balanced for pistol start play on UV without saves. Full releases will be in 2038 maybe. Please report bugs/post suggestions/etc.

here's an FDA (~26 mins) for the Doom2 wad, if you wish. (I kept fucking up the first map, but I think it was smooth sailing after that)

I usually don't have the patience to trudge through intro-level hitscanner fests, but the layout (and choices of music) was fun enough to keep me going. I like how the path through the level is all intertwined, you get to see future areas before visiting them etc. It got a tad confusing occasionally (I think I spent like 2-3 minutes aimlessly wandering map04 in that fda).

Health/ammo were pretty stingy, but I read after the fact that each level was intended to be pistol started, so I guess I had more ammo and less health than intended, oops.

Fun maps, pretty trees, gonna give the Doom1 levels a try now...

FDA for kuchitsu, map01-04. Purposefully gets killed at the start of each map to simulate a pistol start.

This was enjoyable all the way through. It felt like a more forgiving Scythe. You're getting better and better as a mapper, IMHO. The excellence of your monster placement cannot be overstated, you manage to provide the player with a decent challenge without falling into a single one of the many, many gimmicks people who stick to low numbers of low-tier monsters tend to use. Ammo is always available, health is just right, traps are fair and the overall architecture lets you move unhindered. Difficulty comes from incredibly clever balancing, and during the whole playthrough I felt constant pressure with at the same time always just enough leeway to react appropriately.

My nitpicks would be the texture usage in 03 and 04, I felt it was going a little all over the place at times and detracted from the clean look of the previous maps or other areas; and the layout being so condensed it wasn't always obvious where to go next - not a big deal in small maps, mind you.

Great demo, now we just need a time traveler to bring us the full version.

Thanks a lot, I didn't expect anyone to like my monster placement that much, that's very surprising and inspiring. I agree that texturing on maps03-04 is more random. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing but I'll think about it and maybe change something.
I wonder who made those trees btw. Found them in "Invasion UAC". Anyone knows?

I like how your maps looks like (or rather, reminds me of) flattened Scythe maps without borders on the buildings ;P (from the screenshots, that is, havent tested it yet)

Will check out!

Memfis said:

Thanks a lot, I didn't expect anyone to like my monster placement that much, that's very surprising and inspiring. I agree that texturing on maps03-04 is more random. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing but I'll think about it and maybe change something.
I wonder who made those trees btw. Found them in "Invasion UAC". Anyone knows?

TRE1A0 is a palette swap of sprite 13 from Spear of Destiny (also in Wolf 3D with a different number). Blue clay -> brown clay; brown foliage -> green foliage; and floor shadow removed.

TRE2A0, however, I don't know. I doubt Invasion UAC's author created it, though.

The radioactive barrel sprites (FCAN*0) come from Duke Nukem 3D; the wooden barrel (COL3A0) from Hexen.