Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

new monster works in-game but doesn't appear in Doom Builder 2, please help!

So I downloaded this custom monster from Realm 667 and it appears to work when spawned via console command in-game, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the actual Doom Builder 2 editor.

I suspect that there is something missing in the decorate code but I am not sure.

I will post the code so that you can see it, please tell me if there is something missing. I have gotten really annoyed trying to get this to work properly :(

actor ZombieScientist 15500
{
game doom
obituary "%o was axe-murdered by a zombie scientist."
health 20
mass 90
speed 8
Radius 20
Height 52
painchance 200
seesound "grunt/sight"
painsound "grunt/pain"
deathsound "grunt/death"
activesound "grunt/active"
MONSTER
+FLOORCLIP
States
{
Spawn:
SCZA AB 10 A_Look
loop
See:
SCZA AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
loop
Melee:
SCZA E 8 A_FaceTarget
SCZA F 16 A_CustomMeleeAttack (random (2, 6) *5, "KnifeHit", "skeleton/swing")
SCZA E 4
goto See
Pain:
SCZA G 3
SCZA G 3 A_Pain
goto See
Death:
SCZA H 5
SCZA I 5 A_Scream
SCZA J 5 A_NoBlocking
SCZA K 5
SCZA L 5
SCZA M 5
SCZA N -1
stop
XDeath:
SCZA O 5
SCZA P 5 A_XScream
SCZA Q 5 A_NoBlocking
SCZA RSTUV 5
SCZA W -1
stop
Raise:
SCZA MLKJIH 5
goto See
}
}

The monster can be found on this page by the way at the bottom of the page: http://realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=178&limitstart=150

Help anyone? This problem is driving me insane!

Can't see anything obviously wrong with the script. Is it loaded as part of your map wad or a separate resource?

GreyGhost said:

Can't see anything obviously wrong with the script. Is it loaded as part of your map wad or a separate resource?

As a separate WAD resource. I basically just click the "add resource" button in Doom Builder 2 and add the WAD that has the monster.

The wierd thing is, there are lots of other custom monsters that seem to appear just fine in the editor.

The same applies to a number of other custom monsters. I have lots that works, but some for whatever reason just suffer from the same problem as this one, in that they appear if you spawn them via console command but don't appear anywhere in the editor and thus can't be placed normally on any maps.

!!!

Some custom monsters are detected in Doom Builder 2 because they have a special trick comment in them

!!!

printz said:

!!!

Some custom monsters are detected in Doom Builder 2 because they have a special trick comment in them

!!!

?

I don't get it. Care to explain further? What is a "trick comment"?

printz said:

I take it you mean the //$Category comment.

@hardcore_gamer - adding the following Category comment (shown in bold) should make the zombie scientist appear in the Thing selector's monster category, though that assumes it's currently appearing in the Decorate category.

actor ZombieScientist 15500
{
//$Category Monsters
game doom
obituary "%o was axe-murdered by a zombie scientist."

GreyGhost said:

@hardcore_gamer - adding the following Category comment (shown in bold) should make the zombie scientist appear in the Thing selector's monster category, though that assumes it's currently appearing in the Decorate category.

When I said that it did not show up in the editor I meant that it did not show up anywhere. Not in the monster category or in the decorate category. I tried adding that monster category thingy into the decorate file and it changed nothing it seems :(

dutch devil said:

The monster doesn't seem to use a special thing number, I'm guessing you added the 15500 yourself?

Yes, I did that to see if it would change anything. Was I wrong or did I make some kind of a mistake by doing so?

Try something else like 3206, after that it did show up in the Decorate category for me. I did also copy all of the resources that the monster uses into my wad with XWE.

dutch devil said:

Try something else like 3206, after that it did show up in the Decorate category for me. I did also copy all of the resources that the monster uses into my wad with XWE.

Weird, it doesn't do so for me.

Perhaps you can send me your wad so I can check it out?

dutch devil said:

Sure, sending it to your email. What format are you mapping in btw.

zdoom in doom format.

I don't actually intend to use zdoom in doom format to make the actual maps (I use zdoom in hexen format for that) but I just set it to that for the sake of being able to create small box rooms to test the monsters.

Is THAT the reason this isn't working? I will try it out now (checks. Nope, it changed nothing.

EDIT: For some reason Doom Builder 2 doesn't even allow me to open your WAD 0_0

It doesn't appear on the list of WADS I can open when I press the "open" button in Doom Builder 2. I will now see if I can copy the actual monster into a new wad and make it work that way.

EDIT: No, Doom Builder 2 simply acts as if the file doesn't even exist so I can't even open it. What the fuck?

I used Zdoom in Hexen format for this demo wad I've send you, works fine under that format. I'm not expert on Zdoom mapping, so I don't know what the problem might be on your end. Maybe its because the monster is in a seperate wad.

It should open fine, right click on it and open with DB2

dutch devil said:

I used Zdoom in Hexen format for this demo wad I've send you, works fine under that format. I'm not expert on Zdoom mapping, so I don't know what the problem might be on your end. Maybe its because the monster is in a seperate wad.

It doesn't matter what the format is because Doom Builder 2 doesn't even allow me to open the Wad.

Once I press the "open map" or "add resource" button and go to the folder where the wad is the wad doesn't appear on the list as if it doesn't even exist.

EDIT: I actually did what you said and opened the file by right clicking on it and selecting "open with Doom builder 2" instead of starting Doom builder 2 first and opening it that way. Not it works for some reason. But I have no idea why the fuck Doom builder 2 doesn't work with it the other way around. This is a major what the fuck for me.

dutch devil said:

No problems opening it with both right clicking or opening DB2 first and then selecting the wad.

Yea, now for some reason it appears to work.

....however, now for some reason I don't get other monsters that worked just fine now suddenly no longer work anymore and suffer from the same wierd problem that this one did earlier.

I am this close to tearing my hair out of my head. What the FUCK is going on? First this monster and some others don't show up in the editor for no reason I can think of, and now suddenly they do show up for reasons I don't get and now other other monsters that worked just fine earlier which I literally haven't touched no longer work even though they did before.

Is somebody fucking with me? Is this some kind of a divine prank? Because it sure as hell feels like it.

EDIT: You think this might be a Doom Builder 2 bug?

dutch devil said:

Throw your computer out the window and buy a new one ;)

I am temtped.

On the bright side. There are at least more monsters working now then before. But I still have no idea just what the fuck is causing these almost random "fuck you this monster won't work now for no reason!" happenings.

How can a monster wad just go from working fine into not workign at all even though you did nothing to change it?

For custom monsters I often use a SPAWNSPOT script when I have that problem. If you use Skulltag, type in "summon zombiescientist" into your console to be sure that it's in there.

hardcore_gamer said:

.... I am this close to tearing my hair out of my head......

Pulling one's hair out does not work. But a slap on the back of the head usually does. :-)

You do know that there is a log file generated, in

C:\Users\computer-name\AppData\Local\Doom Builder\

every time you use DB2? It might be worth your while to have us take a look at it.

I'm resurrecting this thread rather than starting a brand new one with the exact same topic and question. I got tons of monsters and other items in my mega-wad and has been adding things for a couple years - but today I suddenly come over a case where I can't seem to make the monster appear in the editor.. This is the stone-demon from 667, and I've only added the cathegory monster-line and a number to it - else its the same as in the code.. I've tried renaming it, and changing number - but it wont show. I've successfully summoned it ingame so it works in there.. Did anyone ever find out what might cause this?

After trying lots of things and loading the file from 667 standalone (which works) I tried again placing the exact code from that wad into mine - and it still would not work.
However - I realized after some trial that there are some lines farther up my Decorate that caused the thing to not work...
I had //'ed several lines in a row - and one of those lines were a line with //$Category "Dynamic Lights"

Somehow Doom Builder freaks out if a //Cathegory line appears inside code that all of it is //'ed - seing as it does not understand what exactly to place in that cathegory since everything is not loaded.. just removing the //$Category line from the //'ed code solved it for me.
Strange thing is that monsters or other items coming even later in the code would appear just fine (like the stonedemonstatue - but the first thing to be defined after a //'ed code would not appear in Doom Builder

Post your version of his DECORATE code, including the category directive. EDIT: No need anymore, you've already solved it.

As a final notice - GzDoom builder R2610 released today now solves this behaviour and should no longer get confused by //'ed entries with /$ inside it

Make sure that:
1. You are using a "(G)ZDoom <something>" (ideally "UDMF") Game Configuration in your map editor.
2. The custom actors have an unique editor number (doomednum) in the header of their DECORATE definition. http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE_format_specifications
3. If the custom actor's DECORATE definition contains a line with "//$Category <XXX>", you will find them in the map editor in a thing category <XXX> in the thing list. The default category is "Decorate" and is at the bottom of the list when you're using a "(G)ZDoom <something>" Game Configuration.

DECORATE error in "BlackHoleGenerator.wad\DECORATE", line 1. "BHGen" actor's editor number must be between 1 and 32767.
GLDEFS warning in "BlackHoleGenerator.wad\GLDEFS:52", line 147. DECORATE class "DMBall" does not exist.
GLDEFS warning in "Annihilator.wad\GLDEFS:9", line 31. DECORATE class "Rocket2" does not exist.
GLDEFS warning in "Annihilator.wad\GLDEFS:9", line 39. DECORATE class "HomRocket1" does not exist.
I got this problem

Edit:I just fixed it but. This happens

DECORATE warning in "BlackHoleGenerator.wad\DECORATE:54", line 42. Unable to find "Weapon" class to inherit from, while parsing "BHGen:2143".

Post the entire startup log (the console text which ends with the error message) and the DECORATE definition of BHGen.

Heres the decorate file
Actor UTNTFlamethrower : Weapon 32100
{
//$Category Decorate
Inventory.PickupSound "misc/w_pkup"
Inventory.PickupMessage "You got the flamethrower! Time for a BBQ!"
Obituary "%o was BBQed by %k's flamethrower."
Weapon.AmmoType "Gas"
Weapon.AmmoGive 48
Weapon.AmmoUse 1
+Weapon.Explosive
States
{
Spawn:
WFLM A -1
Loop
Ready:
FLMG BCD 3 A_WeaponReady
Loop
Deselect:
FLMG A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Select:
FLMG A 1 A_Raise
Loop
Fire:
FLMG E 0 bright A_GunFlash
FLMG E 1 bright A_FireCustomMissile("FTFire", 0, 1, Random(-4, 4), 0)
FLMG F 1 bright A_FireCustomMissile("FTFire", 0, 0, Random(-4, 4), 0)
FLMG G 1 bright A_FireCustomMissile("FTFire", 0, 1, Random(-4, 4), 0)
FLMG H 2 bright A_ReFire
Goto Ready
Flash:
TNT1 A 2 A_Light1
TNT1 A 2 A_Light2
TNT1 A 1 A_Light1
TNT1 A 1 A_Light0
Stop
}
}

Actor FTFire
{
Radius 2
Height 4
Speed 16
Damage 1
Projectile
RenderStyle Add
DamageType Fire
Alpha 0.67
Scale 0.67
SeeSound "Flamethrower/Fire"
DeathSound "Flamethrower/Hit"
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 2
FRFX ABCD 2 bright A_Explode(5, 8, 0)
TNT1 A 0 A_LowGravity
FRFX EFG 2 bright A_Explode(5, 16, 0)
FRFX HIJ 2 bright A_Explode(5, 32, 0)
FRFX KLM 2 bright A_Explode(5, 64, 0)
FRFX NO 2 bright
Stop
Death:
FRFX HIJ 2 bright A_Explode(5, 32, 0)
TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile("DropFire", 0, 0, 0, 4)
FRFX KLM 2 bright A_Explode(5, 64, 0)
FRFX NO 2 bright
Stop
}
}

Actor DropFire
{
Radius 8
Height 40
Projectile
RenderStyle Add
DamageType Fire
Alpha 0.90
-NoGravity
+LowGravity
+NoExplodeFloor
+NoDamageThrust
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("Flamethrower/Flame")
FLME A 2 bright A_Explode(5, 32, 0)
FLME BCDEFGHIJKLMN 2 bright A_Explode(5, 16, 0)
TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(192, "Death")
Loop
Death:
TNT1 A 1
Stop
}
}

Actor Gas : Ammo
{
Inventory.PickupSound "misc/pickup"
Inventory.Amount 24
Inventory.MaxAmount 240
Ammo.BackpackAmount 24
Ammo.BackpackMaxAmount 480
Inventory.PickupMessage "You picked up a gasoline cannister"
Inventory.Icon AGASA0
States
{
Spawn:
AGAS A -1
Loop
}
}

Actor BigGas : Gas
{
Inventory.Amount 120
Inventory.PickupMessage "You picked up a gasoline pack"
Inventory.Icon AGASB0
States
{
Spawn:
AGAS B -1
Loop
}
}
+ Its same with the flametrower.

The DECORATE looks alright, now it would help to see the startup log, particularly to see if (G)ZDoom.pk3 gets loaded before the wad(s) with custom DECORATE(s) do.