Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Kim "Mutator" Malde passed away

Hope you had good time playing and maping Doom while you were with us. When I first played that egyptian map I hated it, but today it's one of my favorite for Coop. Thank you for that. RIP.

Insanely talented mapper. I am sorry to see him go. Condolences to Andy and everyone else here who knew him personally. Time helps.

MAP09: "Castle Gardens" was a fantastic map, one of my all time favorites.

I never spoke a word to Kim Malde, but I am quite saddened by this. Two in a month, what's next?

This is horrible, wish that I had got to know him. Peace to his friends and family.

This is terrible news...

Rest in peace Kim and condolences to your family and friends, all your creations for Alien Vendetta are absolute masterpieces and each one was very special in it's own way. Your work has been no doubt one of the biggest if not biggest influence to me, and in my personal Doom editing I've designed many areas that are directly inspired by your work.

Thank you for everything you've done.

I remember the awe I felt playing AV20 as a kid. RIP. I hope that city map is released at some point.

It's always sad to lose anybody, let alone a fellow Doomer. I didn't know Kim personally, but I recognized the name immediately from having played his maps.

RIP

This is terribly sad news. I've played (or attempted to play) all the way through AV map20 on Ultra Violence more times than I can count, and to find out that the mapper that made this masterpiece of a level is gone...damn, man. Just....damn.
How old was he? Not being morbid, but just curiosity here. I'm guessing surely no older than 30.

This is very sad news. Kim's mapping was a massive source of inspiration for me. One of the great pioneers of Doom mapping. I didn't know him personally, but his reputation thoroughly precedes him. His maps were epic and groundbreaking. (Though I respectfully will point out that Map 11 of AV was not actually by Kim, as suggested by several on this thread, but by Martin Aalen Hunsager.)

Rest in Peace Kim. Thanks for such remarkable creativity. I would have loved to play that ZDoom map you were working on.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

(Though I respectfully will point out that Map 11 of AV was not actually by Kim, as suggested by several on this thread, but by Martin Aalen Hunsager.)

That's a mistake on my part. I had Map10's mapslot mixed up in my head, though I assure you I was thinking of Toxic Touch on account of AV's intermission pic.

I felt that Esa's "Shrine" was sort of a direct reaction to Kim's "Misri Halek", which pisses me off that we now have neither of these talents.

But, as zokum said, we have the legacy of the man and we can enjoy it whenever we want, which is really awesome... they're not behind glass at a museum or something, they are on our damn harddrives and we can visit them all day long!

His talent moved us, which is more than most humans achieve. Personally, Toxic Touch was a moment that fundamentally changed the way I went about my own mapping. The way it had this feeling of being clawed out of a mountain side, this oppresive feeling of weight over your head... it made me stop thinking about textures as "wallpaper", and try and be more aware of three dimensional spaces.

I like many others, would love to see any more works he had lying around, but I understand if these get sortof "locked away" (I remember Kim being rather reluctant to show anything in an unfinished state).

This was one of my favorite maps, if not my favorite in Alien Vendetta, which was a legendary Megawad. It alone, in my opinion (as well as many other people) think that this map alone is worthy of a Cacoward.I remember the first time I played the map it took me somewhere between 45 mins and an hr to beat which was well worth it.

Rest In Peace, Kim.

P.S: By any chance, is there a Doomer's version of heaven?

Paying my respects, as a new member to the Doom community. I've unknowingly enjoyed Mutator's work over the years, but never payed attention to the names behind the games until recently.

Reading over this thread has really impressed upon me what a great loss this is to the community, and how sad it is for newer Doomers just learning mapping, and looking for role models.

I can't imagine how gutting this must be for the older Doomers.

Sleep well, Kim Malde.

This is sad news; his maps were definitely influential when I started mapping. Doom in peace.

This is horrible. I didn't know him or talk to him ever but Misri Halek impressed me to the core, even out of all the maps in that legendary megawad.

If I can go to my grave with some creation of mine (likely not a Doom map, mind you) having been such state of the art and having brought enjoyment to as many people, I will be happy.

This is awful news. RIP man, you were an amazing mapper. Time to fire up AV again.

Thank you to everyone who offered their condolences and took time to post something in this thread, its heartwarming to see that he inspired alot of people with his work for this old brilliant game, and I'll pass this on to his family.

I attended his funeral today, together with the entire squad of local Norwegian doomers, friends and family. It was a worthy closure to someone we'll miss enormously, and I hope his family find comfort and peace in it, too.

We'll throw an oldschool lan in his memmory the comming friday and play through Alien Vendetta, with focus on the maps he made. It will probably be the first local doom related lan in 18 years without him, but he'll be with us in spirit all night.

Terrible news. The Egyptian level in AV is breath taking. Clearly, he was a creative genus.

Though I do not know him, I will most certainly pay my respects.

R.I.P. May he rest in a better place.

But yes, what is up with all of these Doomers dying recently? Christ. Some spontaneous chain of bad luck? It's sad, as the heart of the Doom community is pretty intertwined, almost like an internet family, if you will.

Nothing to say that hasn't been said, but eh.

I was blown away when I first played Alien Vendetta in general, and much more so when I finally reached Map 20.. 13 years old, 2003, and just barely after learning about pwads I was hit with some of the best levels you can play for Doom, mind blowing stuff to me, and Kim played a huge role in that.

Rest in peace, I never knew you or had an effect on you, but you sure as hell had one on me.