Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

CF_NOMOMENTUM

I've been fugglin around with the Chocolate Doom source again, trying to do something I've wanted to do for a while, take the momentum out. As in, right when I press a movement key go full speed and right when I let go, stop.

I tried several things, including making P_thrust update my position instead of my momentum, which caused me to noclip and float through the air.

Then I found this

if (player && player->cheats & CF_NOMOMENTUM)
    {
	// debug option for no sliding at all
	mo->momx = mo->momy = 0;
	return;
    }
I used it and it did what I wanted, but slowly. Like, running is slower than normal walking slow. I guess I could just increase the movement speed, but I still wonder why it's slower and if I can solve the problem more directly.

Also, is this a Chocolate Doom thing or is it in vanilla Doom?

It comes from vanilla of course. There would be no reason for Fraggle to add effectively dead code (since CF_NOMOMENTUM is never set anywhere; there's no cheat code for it) in a painstakingly faithful port.

DuckReconMajor said:

I guess that was a silly question. Do you know how I would do this? Would it be easier in another source port?

Just copy the "stealth boots" code from Chocolate Strife in st_bar.c - All it does is set CF_NOMOMENTUM (why they're called "stealth" boots is entirely beyond me, because they grant no stealth whatsoever).

Where is that? I don't see it here or here.

Anyway, I tried it out in vanilla Strife and it does almost what I want. I'm trying to get it to go instant fullspeed as well as instant stop. It did maintain full speed in Strife though, which isn't happening in Doom for some reason.

And I can see where it would be stealth. If you're sneaking around corners you don't want to slide into view because you didn't stop soon enough.

DuckReconMajor said:

Where is that? I don't see it here or here.

Sorry, st_stuff.c :P Dunno how I made a mistake like that.

Risen3D already has this. It is the option "Player deceleration" which has a variable slider to change this behaviour from doom default to run and stop.