Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

My goal is to play every single Doom 2 Wad out there

I think there's like 6000 or something...

Has anyone done this?

I'm working my way through the 0-9 category, and most of the maps are quite short. Some maps don't work at all, and other maps require windows.

With the new gameception app, it's easy to play doom on the ipad..

I've tried to do this, but in the end I found most of the levels aren't worth playing so I just went back to playing the good stuff. I think I made it to "C" and said "fuck this".

E: The same thing will happen to you. And TBH, you won't get many new wads you like out of it. Don't waste your valuable time on earth doing this. Take up underwater basketweaving instead.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

E: The same thing will happen to you. And TBH, you won't get many new wads you like out of it. Don't waste your valuable time on earth doing this. Take up underwater basketweaving instead.

What about playing random wads, as facilitated by Doomworld? I've tried and I've hit lots of cramped, ortogonal, chaingunner filled crap.

Over 8000 if you include the deathmatch wads, don't think it's been done before though you're not the first to try.

Would you mind posting the names of wads that don't work? That info may be of use to nathaniel7775.

Maybe you should try a more specific theme, like, play through the top 100 WADs of all time if you haven't already. I've played a ton of WADs and there are some in that list I haven't played. Or maybe you could play all the community projects that currently exist, or play through all the...I dunno...jungle-themed WADs out there. Or play through all WADs released in 2008 or something. I think you'll have more fun trying one of things or something similar.

I'm prett sure I'm a little over half tof the levels available under the /levels section of idgames. Both Doom and Doom 2, including death match maps (because many of them have monsters in them anyway) I like early 90's maps a lot and I've played tons of single level wads and megawads alike.

I've played tons and ran through most of my doom wad compilation CDs in full. A couple maps I've played we're broken and couldn't successfully be completed, either by inescapable areas or drastically unfair gameplay. However I genuinely try my best to complete every level, including finding at least 75% of the secrets.

I probably should have came up with an easier way to document which wads I've played and which ones I didn't. At the moment I'm pretty much just going by memory.

Doing that can`t be healthy. At some points your brain would start to melt because of all these countless hours of repetitively shooting zombies and imps. That or listening to the infamous D_Runnin song that was used almost everywhere in early doom 2 wads. Again and again and again and again.

printz said:

Who?

Nathaniel Herman, who coded the Gameception app.

GoatLord said:

I'm having a lot of trouble believing there's less than 10,000 Doom 2 wads out there.

I expect there's a lot more that haven't found there way into the archive for one reason or another, including a treasure trove of stuff that was on Compuserve and wads that mightn't have gone further than the local BBS.

Don't suppose Fraggle's kept copies of the 2000+ wads his SLIGE megawad generator has spat out.

Yeah, what's the point really? Sounds a bit OCDish. You'd have to go through so many horse shit wads. I think it would be better to just play the winners from all the Caco-awards.

Where would you find all of the time to do this? I don't even have enough downtime to play the /idgames updates these days. Granted, a lot of that goes towards mapping, but even so, that's usually, at best, an hour a day unless I'm really bored with nothing to do.

If there are 10000 wads to play, and you finish one per day, it would still take you 27 years.

If you really consider every single Doom 2 WAD out there, there's likely not enough time in your life to play through all of them. Let alone also Doom/Ultimate Doom WADs.

On that note, I'm currently speeding through Maximum Doom, getting to the exit whenever possible. I already finished with the Doom 1 WAD's and am almost halfway through Doom 2. Yeah, my 4-month summer couldn't have been better spent.

That Master Levels for Doom 2 CD is funny because there are at least two maps I can remember that had a few r-rated textures, but nowhere on the box does it have warning about sexual material. I guess because it was just a few maps out of something like 2,000, it wasn't enough to justify a warning.

Just unzip all the /idgames wads in the same directory, then run doom2 -file *.wad, and you're good to go. ;-)

GoatLord said:

That Master Levels for Doom 2 CD is funny because there are at least two maps I can remember that had a few r-rated textures, but nowhere on the box does it have warning about sexual material. I guess because it was just a few maps out of something like 2,000, it wasn't enough to justify a warning.

Mind posting picks? I don't have the Master Levels :(

Archy said:

Mind posting picks? I don't have the Master Levels :(

Lead us not into temptation.