Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Doom world and newdoom

Question 1. Is newdoom done? Im not a member but while looking for jdoom resourses i noticed that the newest post was 2009? Question 2. Is there a rivalry between Doomworld and newdoom?

Newdoom removed all their hosted sites a while back, so most of the people went with them. It's still there, but there's only about 5 or 6 people posting. Also they tried implementing a premium subscription, which didn't go down very well. Unpaid users are limited to 5 posts per day and can't edit their posts.

I don't think there's a rivalry as such, but the admin of Newdoom doesn't like Doomworld for some reason.

JDoom/Doomsday has it's own site now: http://dengine.net/

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Is there a rivalry between Doomworld and newdoom?

You'll never get a neutral opinion on that from here, or New Doom.

Newdoom is pretty much dead. I think there was some rivalry between the two forums in the past. Not sure why, I don't know the whole history behind it. For me personally Newdoom was just another Doom forum for talking about Doom. I didn't cared about what went on between the two forums. It was fun for as long as it lasted, too bad its dead now.

yellowmadness54 said:

I was banned there for saying the subscription was a lousy idea.
That was long ago, though. When I was dumber.

Don't worry, even if you were smart you still got punished for being honest on NewDoom, especially during that time when the subscription was introduced. I was one of the most prolific posters over there for the last couple years of ND's life, and I too got the axe for simply suggesting that making people pay for something that they've not had to pay for for a decade was a dumb idea and that Phoebus should consider something else to fund the site. There's still a very small handful of people that post once in a while over there, but Phoebus effectively killed his own site with that stunt--most importantly by banning all the people who possibly would have supported the site otherwise.

If there actually was any rivalry between Doomworld and NewDoom it was because he injected the rivalry there. Everyone who went there that got banned came here for a relatively less hostile moderator environment (though Doom_Dude is a great guy and I feel bad for any flak he may have gotten by Phoebus' actions). As for the opinion of Doomworld on ND, I honestly have no idea how it became expected that DW was a bad place but it was somehow the lingering opinion. The odd part is that the subject of the "rivalry" was quite strictly quashed, so I really don't understand why it was prevalent.

I'm just glad that Doomworld happened to be welcoming of all the refugees from the aftermath on ND. It's just unfortunate that the site imploded because there were a lot of people posting there that I really enjoyed talking with that didn't make the migration over here. :(

I like friendly rivalry. For most of Doomworld's existence there were other Doom news sites, most notable DoomNation. It enriched our little community, giving Doomers a choice in what site to call home. This is coming from one of the co-founders of Doomworld, for the newer guys around here :)

Newdoom started like that, a new site created into anticipation of Doom3 (yeah, "doom3", not "new doom"), but quickly turned outright hostile when wmull took matters into hand. Not that I actually care... his site, his rules. But I just don't understand the hostility.

WMull pretty much killed Newdoom himself by his judgment calls on who to ban on what grounds, and by turning it into a paysite.

Everyone is welcome here. Provided you stick by the basic, common sense rules outlined in our FAQ. You can disagree with an admin, calling him out on his failure to deliver a sequel by, say, naming a Cacoward after him and submitting an entry to fucking TVTropes as the "DNF equivalent in the Doom community" without him getting all hot and bothered and throwing a hissy fit. Because in the end, it's YOU who makes up this community; it's YOU who makes new mods for me to play; it's YOU who continues to amaze me; it's YOU who still keeps his game and this community alive & kicking after so many years.

Doomers, I salute you.

:D Thanks Mordeth! Also thanks to you and Linguica and whoever else is responsible for keeping this place afloat (and making sure that UGO doesn't realize we're still here and pull the plug)!

You're absolutely right; WMull's problem was/is that he thought the community was HIS. While he may own the domain and pay the rent, it's the people that came there that were the community.

The reason the last post on the main page is from 2009 is because Phoebus was thinking of selling up at the time and I decided it was time to stop doing the news updates. Ended up he didn't bother to sell anything and I didn't feel like starting up news posts again. The subscription thing came along after.

Anyhow Newdoom is a ghost town now... Everything dies eventually. heh.

Well that was all verry interrsting to read about the history of newdoom. Annyways do any of you guys think Doomworld will be around for years to come??