Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The Nightmare begins: The unofficial Doom prequel! (has new monsters and weapons)DEMO

Being a bit tired of making traditional Doom maps I decided that I wanted to make something different to get a break for the normal style Doom maps.

And thus I decided to create a prequel to the original Doom using new textures, weapons and enemies! (All resources besides the new textures are taken from Realm 667 by the way, and all authors will be credited in the readme file).

EDIT: The demo level is finally ready! Enjoy:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22099331/TNB_DEMO.zip

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Note that the final finished thing will contain all needed resources in a single file, the reason for why this contains 4 WADS is because I can't be arsed to slice them all together right now while I am still working on the project.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Plot synopsis: Taking place in the year of 2060, 46 years before the UAC began to construct the Mars base and discovered the ancient teleportation technology that led to the events in the first game (and Doom 3).

Taking place on a remote research facility on Antarctica, the UAC (already a powerful international corporation even before landing on Mars) for the first time experiments with teleportation technology.

While it may have been on Mars that the UAC unleashed the forces of hell for the first time after having finally mastered the teleportation technology, it was not the first time that it used the powers of teleportation to open holes into other dimensions.

The first, original teleportation experiment took place on a secret base in Antarctica in the year of 2061. Lacking the advanced teleportation technology that the UAC would later discover in the ruins of the old Martian civilization decades later, the UAC would not be able to open a gateway to the hell dimension for many many years to come. However, this did not prevent them from trying anyways, and as a result disaster struck before too long that bears many similarities with the one that would finally happen on Mars almost half a century later.

As research progressed, UAC researchers believed that a total number of 4 dimensions existed. They did not however understand just what exactly they contained.

One dimension was the Earth dimension (our realm), the Heaven dimension (god's realm, the only realm never opened by the UAC), the Hell dimension (Satan's realm and the one the UAC would later open on Mars).

And then there is the fourth dimension.........the Middle dimension.

This was at the time all outside of the UAC's research staff's understanding, naturally.

As a general rule of thumb, the further the dimension was away from the Earth dimension, the harder it was to open it. This meant that with the technology at the desposal of the UAC at the time, both the Heaven and Hell dimensions were simply out of reach, and attempts to enter them were unsuccessful.

The Middle dimension however, being a realm located between the Hell and Earth dimension, was just barely close enough that UAC researhers believed that they might be able to crack it open. After years of relentless research and funding, they got their wish.........and the results were monstrous and deadly.

Being a middle ground for Hell and Earth, the Middle dimension containes creatures and abominations that are too horrible to belong in the Earth dimension but can yet not be considered to be pure evil enough as to belong in hell. Not knowing what to do with these creations, god decided to throw them into their own realm between Hell and Earth where they were destinted to stay forever.

Or that is, right until the UAC opened a gateway to their home.....

Hateful and angry that god rejected them, the creatures of the Middle dimension saw this as their chance to launch a full scale invasion of the Earth realm, planing to take over the world and then launch a war against god himself as revenge for him rejecting them.

You however do not know anything about this. You are but a security officer, and are busy eating a donut during your launch brake. But then suddenly the base goes mad and you don't know what is happening. You fall unconscious and then wake up again after a few hours.....

You draw out your pistol and enter the research base to see what is going on.........

You spot 2 UAC researchers. They are both wielding axes and have angry expressions on their faces. You don't know why, but for some reason you have a bad feeling about this.....

.......to be continued (in-game).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic description of MOD: "The Nightmare Begins" is a prequel to the original Doom. It will be split into 3 episodes with each episode being released one at a time and each containing about 6 levels. The mod features new textures and has the player use only new weapons and fight only new enemies (no vanilla enemies or weapons will be encountered in the levels). It has a horror theme similar to Doom 3 but maintains the action style gameplay of the classic Doom games.

It uses Zdoom (Zdoom in hexen map format) (though GZdoom is recommended for the sake of better lighting.)

Screenshots:

EDIT: Also, anyone interested in making a tittle screen for me? I suck with making new graphics, so if anyone were to offer to make one then it would be super :)

Short video preview:

The first teaser trailer:

So far a large portion of the first level is ready. I will upload the first level as a demo once it is ready.

I look forward for your feedback and thoughts!

Liking the premise, and the shots/footage give a strong D3 vibe. Good luck with this.

Also, nice to see my former scientists being put to work <3

Looks great so far. My only suggestion is that you change the pistol sprite. The animation on the pistol gives it a very weak, underpowered look.

Vdaxzter said:

Looks great so far. My only suggestion is that you change the pistol sprite. The animation on the pistol gives it a very weak, underpowered look.

It looks much better in-game.

Looking good, but "Purgatory" sounds a damn sight better than a Lord of the Rings style "Middle" dimension. Also it sounds a bit like the plot of Supernatural. Why do humans manage to open every horrible dimension and not Heaven?

Maybe Heaven is weaker and somehow "blocked off" from our reality because humans are so ruthless and cruel, so we are somehow feeding Hell and Purgatory with our souls or our psychic potential or something. Or am I reading too much into this?

In any case a Doom prequel is an excellent idea, just try to answer the question "Why were no precautions taken to stop this from happening again?" Maybe there could be a sucker-punch at the end: everyone gets killed when the player blows everything up and no records or evidence remain, so decades later the UAC makes the same mistakes again?

EDIT: More suggestions.

The music is from the PSX. Excellent. The pistol sounds awesome but seems overpowered. (One zombie even pops!) Is there any need to fire in bursts? Could you maybe make the zombies tougher or a bit quicker because they seem basically harmless. Really nice how you've made them into scientists though.

Nice new death animations too, now they die like the player dies. Gives things a bit of consistency which has always been missing from Doom.

Yaay! Coloured lighting!

Great man! Keep up the good work! I love new monster wads! Especially if they get accompanied by new weapons and new maps!

This wad is the perfect example of how good layouts and good textures can form detail that you can't get from architecture alone which in my opinion is what makes a wad stand out from another. One suggestion I would have would be heavy use of slope things and slope reference sectors this way you can do nice details on the ceiling or floor without having distinctly mirrored sector layouts on the opposite side of the slope surface. I think too many wads have this feature present when using slopes.

Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't worked on this much since I last posted on this thread because I was too busy playing Civ 5: Gods and Kings with my friend, but I will probably work on this some more and hopefully finish (and upload) that first level before the end of the next weekend.

I'm liking the premise and the execution of this so far.

The only thing I didn't like was how the pistol wasn't centered, but that's just the purist in me being nit-picky.

Cool concept; just one nitpick story wise:
Didn't the UAC discover the teleport technology on Phobos & Deimos with their anomalies and such?

glenzinho said:

Cool concept; just one nitpick story wise:
Didn't the UAC discover the teleport technology on Phobos & Deimos with their anomalies and such?

I am pretty sure that even though Doom (the original, not Doom 3 which takes place on Mars) takes place on Phobos it is pretty clearly stated that at the beginning of the story you are located on a research base on Mars, and that you merely travel to Phobos after the moon base there stops responding to communication.

Things are a bit different in Doom 3 though, where you are on Mars as before but the whole disaster takes place there as well.

MajorRawne said:

Why do humans manage to open every horrible dimension and not Heaven?

I once wanted to create a partial conversion Doom wad where the player has to kill angels instead of demons -- much more powerful, heavily armored, and deadly foes. The episode would start in crumbling cities after the rapture, and you'd have to fight your way to.. the pearly gates of heaven I guess. Cool premise but I lacked the motivation to really follow through with it.

I was much more interested in making "Shoot the Kids at School" megawad with innocent teenagers and teachers fleeing, screaming, crying, and hiding, while you went around spilling their blood as they pray for mercy. The maps would be based on the actual floor plans of the Columbine High School and Virgina Tech campus. But even then I didn't get much further than making a titlepic and a few new textures.

A retelling of Doom with with Heaven swapped out for Hell would be really interesting, actually.

EDIT: OH! With John the Baptist's head as the Icon of Sin (or Saintliness) instead of Romero's. **

As you can see in realms of the haunting there are beatifull buildings, though angelic also a bit 1001 nights / alladin style levels, gotta admit for its time it was quite a revolutionary engine / gameplay but the way you jumped from realm to realm was friggin strange! Still here is an example level where you actually get ideas how to make nice fountain patio's in the center of a building complex to give it a more KINGS and QUEENS from the HEAVENS feel.

Ok guys, I have a small treat for you while I still work on finishing the first level for you to play.

The first teaser trailer! All feedback is loved as usual.

It will also be added to the OP as well.

Also, expect me to work on the level some more tommorow. I don't know if it will be finished this weekend like i said, but it will no doubt be ready either tomorror or on monday.

EDIT: Also, anyone interested in making a tittle screen for me? I suck with making new graphics, so if anyone were to offer to make one then it would be super :)

First level is almost finished guys! It will probably be finished and uploaded for you to play tomorrow!

In the meantime, here is another fresh screenshot:

You should open this up for a few more mappers, i'm sure there is lots of people itching to use those nice textures :D

Pottus said:

You should open this up for a few more mappers, i'm sure there is lots of people itching to use those nice textures :D

Sorry, but I will be making this alone.

And besides, the fact that each episode will only contain six levels and that each episode will be released at a time means that this project is more then manageable for one person.

Anyways, the demo level is finally ready! Enjoy:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22098873/TNB_DEMO.zip

The download link has also been added into the OP.

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Note that the final finished thing will contain all needed resources in a single file, the reason for why this contains 4 WADS is because I can't be arsed to slice them all together right now while I am still working on the project.

I tried this out and it's pretty good but I have one thing I think you really need to do. I noticed that there is a lot of 90-degree corners in the map which would look a lot better if you were to make them 45 degree and use another texture around those points. I feel too many 90-degree corners gives maps too much of a boxy feel where as maps with a good balance of rounded / semirounded (45 degree) / 90's gives a more natural feel.

I re-uploaded the mod because I just found out that a broken script removed your fists.

Its fixed now. This means that you still have the normal Doom pistol as well which is bad, but its nothing game breaking and will be fixed later.

Just download it again if you had problems with that.

Pottus:

I actually don't like it where there are no 90 degree corners. I know that always using them is bad, but I still like using them when I feel it makes sense. How many buildings have you seen in real life that have no 90 degree corners?

Try this:

actor Mag60 : Weapon replaces Pistol

As for the map, I played it on HMP and, once you get used to the rebalanced weapons, it's pretty fast an frantic. Looking forward to seeing more!

Replacing Pistol doesn't completely work, you'll have to make a new Marine class with a new starting inventory list. I can't remember off-hand what the code is, but you can look at Perk's smooth weapons sprites Decor file as an example.

scalliano said:

Try this:

actor Mag60 : Weapon replaces Pistol

"replaces" only affect things placed in the map, not things placed in the inventory. And since it's kinda uncommon to have pistols placed in the map itself...

Weapons need more work to be replaced. You need to give them a slot, and if they are starting weapons you also need to change the player class.