Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

What program do you use to make music?

I want to make a wad(not a megawad for now) and I want to make music for my levels. I know how to add them to the levels, and I know the music depends o the soundcard, but what PROGRAM do you use FL studio or what?

Thanks in advance! :D

I use mostly Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, but sometimes I use Reason 4. The latter can only do audio, but Cakewalk is a good MIDI program.

For audio, software synth and sample based music, FL studio 10 XXL producers edition, or sunvox.

For tracker (it, mod, xm) music, MilkyTracker.

For MIDI music and Doom music, Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro (amazing it still runs on windows 7 when it was designed for windows 3.1).

I use Cakewalk 6.01 Pro. I haven't found a MIDI app that compares, but unfortunately it's not 64-bit compatible. I may have to switch to Anvil Studio. For digital audio, I use Cool Edit Pro. They were bought by Adobe and now it's called Audition.

Cool Edit for sound effects, Cakewalk (a really old version) for midi.

I'm using Tuxguitar personally. Its best described as a free version of GuitarPro (originally developed for Linux, hence the name). It runs on all systems I believe, and its very easy to get into. Since its 90% simular to GuitarPro, its a tablature program, but it works perfect as a MIDI-editor.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but just mod-edit the link if I'm not: http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

I use Sibelius, which is a commercial notation-based (as opposed to FL Studio, Reason, etc) music editing tool, but it works very well for me, since I'm quite good at music reading.

I hope FL 10 can handle midis better than 9, which is what I'm using. Although it was easy to put the music together, exporting is a pain in the ass. The pitch bends end up effecting ALL instruments, rather than just the one I assigned it too. Basically the song sounds different in the software than it does upon export, which is total bullshit.

Nixot said:

For MIDI music and Doom music, Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro (amazing it still runs on windows 7 when it was designed for windows 3.1).

Whoa, DOP high-five! Happy memories in high school, especially turning all the knobs on the delay audio processor all the way up ;) ;) ;).

I use Ableton Live "plus a world of sound", as they call it, Guitar Rig and Studio Drummer/Kontakt. I used to use Cubase and then Nuendo, but those are really meant to be the heart of a big studio setup. Having tons of sounds (synths, drum machines, effects) available to me in Ableton lets me be way more creative, I don't have to dick so much with levels, compression, reverb, EQ, etc. etc. etc. It's actually kind of weird how you can almost skip the mixing step altogether - if you know what you're doing anyway.

Most ports allow real audio files as map music. Export as WAV, encode to OGG, dance around like a crazy person.