Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RunescapeZYX

Hardest WAD you've ever played?

I've been through all original Doom games such as TNT and Plutonia, and many popular MegaWADs like Hell Revealed (1+2), Alien Vendetta, Speed of Doom, Scythe (1+2), ...the list goes on.

So what's the most challenging WAD you've ever encountered?

Ribbiks said:

this topic seems to come up a lot.

Woah. Ya that's my bad. I keep forgetting to check the forums first before posting. I'm just looking for a very difficult WAD to play >:D

Chillax, the popular skulltag wad that is more like a compilation of already released maps with insane monster counts, is pretty damn hard but fun to play online.

The Hell Revealed series, Alien Vendetta, The Scythe series, Kama Sutra, and Speed of Doom with a dash of Scoredoom and it's add-on pack to further challenge (read: punish) myself.

That is all.

I heard that Deus Vult 1 and 2, and Sunder are the most challenging wads to date. Much harder than the Plutonia series, Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta, and Kama Sutra combined.

If you discount wads like NUTS, and consider serious wads, for me it is
Sunder. Maps 08-10 specifically. The MAP14 Finale was the hardest challenge I ever faced playing Doom. Really it was beyond me, but I managed to get through via countless saving and re-saving :P

BilboHicks said:

If you discount wads like NUTS, and consider serious wads, for me it is
Sunder. Maps 08-10 specifically. The MAP14 Finale was the hardest challenge I ever faced playing Doom. Really it was beyond me, but I managed to get through via countless saving and re-saving :P

I've heard a lot about Sunder. I'll give it a try despite it's slaughter-type design

Sunder is too hard for me, I barely finished map 01 and I needed to save alot, scythe 2 episode 3 was hard for me but very fun, HR and HR2 are also a bit hard (HR from map 11).

ForeverViLe said:

Sunder is too hard for me, I barely finished map 01 and I needed to save alot...

Yeah it has some pretty crazy levels. But it seems you can just cause large hordes of monsters to infight in just about every level, making fights easier. Plus there's tons of ammo for those big guns...

Slaughterfest 2011 is the hardest one, definitely. Later levels are problematic even with IDDQD and IDFA.

Scypek2 said:

Slaughterfest 2011 is the hardest one, definitely. Later levels are problematic even with IDDQD and IDFA.

never heard of that one...I'll give that one a go. Is it 32 maps or like 10-15?

I might just be a bad player, but i can do Alien vendetta (although im only up to level 8) and i just started cchest3 and i think the first level of cchest3 is harder then the first 8 levels of alien vendetta. What about harder heretic wads? Theres not many out there, but i'd like to see some hard ones.

RunescapeZYX said:

never heard of that one...I'll give that one a go. Is it 32 maps or like 10-15?

A Full 32 map megawad. Also, if slaughtermaps are your stuff, try looking at the Slaughterfest 2012 thread.

I'd try Combat Shock:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16665

2 words: Death-Destiny.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

2 words: Death-Destiny.

Where is he nowadays? It's a real pity he's not currently contributing to the community; would've liked to see more of his work.

Joshy said:

Where is he nowadays? It's a real pity he's not currently contributing to the community; would've liked to see more of his work.

He left on his own accord after people wouldn't buy into the drama he invented around himself.

Sunder, Holy Hell, Chillax, Hell Revealed.... just to name a few.

Just for the sake of having a link to Death Destiny's levels:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=author&word=death-destiny&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

I haven't finished all of them (or even played a few of them of them) but the ones I have played and finished stand out as the toughest levels I have played to date (well there are harder, but not harder that are actually playable.) These maps are an order of difficulty above even Sunder, which seems to have become an unofficial 'standard' used when comparing the challenge of various tough maps.

Did I mention I love Sunder, and was lucky enough to be a playtester for most of the later levels.

Joshy said:

Joshy, with total respect to you, and I love your work and all, but the same could probably be said of you. :P