Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Having trouble creating custom textures

Searched on Google, YouTube and on here, and haven't found anything that I've been able to understand. I have a bitmap (one of many that will be made for a project I'm working on) that is the proper resolution and uses the doom palette. That's all good. Problem is I don't understand the tutorials I've looked up on adding custom textures. I'm really lost here and don't know what to do.

How far are you getting before running into problems? I get the impression part of your problem is with the terminology.

I basically start reading or watching a tutorial, and a couple steps in I panic because I'm unfamiliar with the territory, and am too terrified to proceed. It's a personal problem, I admit.

Welcome to the club, there would be few here who've gone down the rocky road of trial'n'error experimentation and emerged unscathed. ;-)

I've found one good way to follow a tutorial is to try reproducing it step-by-step in an editor as a separate project before applying what you've learnt to your current project. Don't worry about making mistakes (unless there's someone looking over your shoulder and keeping tally) since that all to often is part of the learning process, just don't forget to backup your files before doing something you might regret.

GoatLord said:

Problem is I don't understand the tutorials I've looked up on adding custom textures.

Although this tutorial on Using Custom Textures is a straight text-based one (i.e., no video), and it uses utilities that are slowly becoming obsolete, you may find it to be helpful.