Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

What went wrong with NewDoom?

Jaxxoon R said:

Odd coincidence how years old drama seems to have cropped up once again these winter months, here and on Zandronum, Only difference is, Zandronum's was about people pretending to be girls and dolts believing them.

Didn't this place have one or two incidents where that happened?

We had an incident where one guy pretended to be a French little girl, an entire team of mappers, and a female musician that was suspicious of him and was looking for evidence to prove he was posing as multiple people.

And we never figured out why.

It seems NewDoom's domain simply redirects to Raven Games page/group on Facebook now, so the actual website has to be dead/parked now.

I won't miss that place, especially since it was my place I went when I was losered for a while for posting stupid shit in the past (2005-2007?) before Phoebus's screws and bolts became loose. Posted regularly, things were decent for some time before I came back here with an apology for my actions to one of the admins/staff.

Slowly, I checked the forums less and less until the restrictions went into place and the main site stopped updating then I finally stopped going over there. I hope it was worth ruining his (Phoebus's) reputation and website because people didn't kiss his ass enough.

Speaking of regulars who were there, where is MR_ROCKET? Why doesn't he post here as much?

It's better in the long run, the Doom community doesn't benefit from drama and fragmentation. But I wish there was a frozen archive of it accessible somewhere.

Considering what I hear about the admin, fat chance of that happening.

Glaice said:

Speaking of regulars who were there, where is MR_ROCKET? Why doesn't he post here as much?

I have no idea what happened to Mr.Rocket. He kinda disappeared after Newdoom turned into a ghost town. His Megasphere site hasn't been updated since 2013.

Ew, NewDoom. I remember being banned the moment I signed up, but I had a different handle than I did here on Doomworld. It was eventually lifted, but then around the time I started working on 3DGE and made a post, I was banned again. Didn't make sense, because NewDoom liked posting news about EDGE way back when (or, was that DoomCenter? Memory fails me). Who knows anymore.

Strange guy that WMull.. But you never know. He might have had serious issues in his personal life that started affecting his online life. No excuse, but does anyone know what he's up to these days?

VGA said:

It's better in the long run, the Doom community doesn't benefit from drama and fragmentation.

My theory : If your forum is not bound to a popular Engine, or if you forum simply is not DoomWorld... then it will have a hard time in the weird world of DooM... Look at Doomer.boards.net it manages to be a collection of pseudo-banned people and thats it.

I remember NewDoom. After I got banned or losered here under a previous username for being an imbecile I went over there, used the same spamtastic username, and trolled until I got banned there too. Being young and stupid is a hell of a burden. Being old and recalcitrant is much more tolerable.

I miss MR.ROCKET, I remember playing Doom Legacy every now and again with him in 2002. He was a cool dude and was the person who initially peaked my interest in Legacy mapping.[/offtopic]

Job said:

Being young and stupid is a hell of a burden.

Says you. When I was young and stupid, I had a good time.

Then again, "good times" are something to be regretted.

This kinda reminds me of when Lowtax (from Something Awful) had a meltdown, and switched from running a free server to a paid server.

To be fair, the drama was pretty extreme over there. Lowtax is a pretty cool dude, though, and I don't think I would've responded well to half of the crap that occurred in the early years if it were my website/forum.

That being said, there were some very memorable and dramatic things that you simply won't see anymore because it's pretty much gone from drama central to "college safe space" now.

dethtoll said:

Says you. When I was young and stupid, I had a good time.

Then again, "good times" are something to be regretted.

Do you remember the movie "Back To The Future (Part 1)"?

Lorraine Baines: Kids, we're gonna have to eat this cake by ourselves. Your Uncle Joey didn't make parole again.
[drops the cake on the dining table. It reads "Welcome Home, Uncle Joey"]
Lorraine Baines: I think it would be nice if you all dropped him a line.
Marty McFly: Uncle "Jailbird" Joey?
Dave McFly: He's your brother, Mom.
Linda McFly: Yeah. I think it's a major embarrassment having an uncle in prison.
Lorraine Baines: We all make mistakes in life, children.

frithiof said:

This kinda reminds me of when Lowtax (from Something Awful) had a meltdown, and switched from running a free server to a paid server.

That wasn't a meltdown. The SA forum was changed over to paid registration to stop a guy from registering new accounts to only post pictures of triangles and other paraphernalia. Incidentally the model stuck because nobody wanted to waste 10 dollars to shit-post, creating a self fulfilling loop of new users registering because the existing community was very approachable because nobody wanted to waste their investment.

Edward850 said:

That wasn't a meltdown. The SA forum was changed over to paid registration to stop a guy from registering new accounts to only post pictures of triangles and other paraphernalia. Incidentally the model stuck because nobody wanted to waste 10 dollars to shit-post, creating a self fulfilling loop of new users registering because the existing community was very approachable because nobody wanted to waste their investment.

I could have sworn there was at least one time when Lowtax walked away from moderating the forums due to extreme levels of frustration.

Or maybe that was related to the Integral problem.

frithiof said:

Or maybe that was related to the Integral problem.

or maybe that was when King REoL declared war on Lowtax.

Doom Dude said:

Wait... a member of Doomworld went psycho and tried to destroy the Something Awful Forums?

Wow.

Maybe Doom really does inspire violent and antisocial behavior.

edit: Shameful...

Doom Dude said:

Isn't that that weirdo that's obsessed with toy trains and riding in elevators? >.>

frithiof said:

Wait... a member of Doomworld went psycho and tried to destroy the Something Awful Forums?

There's a lot of overlap between Doomworld and Something Awful. Vordakk is another illustrious legend.

Gez said:

There's a lot of overlap between Doomworld and Something Awful. Vordakk is another illustrious legend.

Huh? Did you mean sigvatr? Idk about any SA / vordakk connection

BombChel said:

Isn't that that weirdo that's obsessed with toy trains and riding in elevators? >.>

That's him, probably stuck in a faulty elevator somewhere with rats gnawing on his bones. Though I didn't know about the toy trains, anyone care to share what they know?

frithiof said:

Wow.

Maybe Doom really does inspire violent and antisocial behavior.

edit: Shameful...

Fiffy got banned from DW after posting some bullshit rotten.com picture to "test the image functionality." He ran off to SA to complain about the nazi moderation and tried to get some groundswell of support to go attack DW or something. Nobody on SA had any idea wtf he was talking about. Unfortunately for him, Lowtax and Linguica are friends and Lowtax posted an epic beatdown of him and banned him for SA as well. What he did afterwards I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he "declared war" on SA or something (he wouldn't be the first). I believe he eventually slunk back here after somehow getting unbanned and was posting those goddamn elevator fetish videos.

Glaice said:

Anyone remember the jokewad made of just a simple downward elevator/platform ride?

Found it.

I don't even remember making that

nameless review author said:

This wad sucked, but it seems that Mr. Freeze gets more hate then he deserves.

Finally someone sees things my way!

david_a said:

What he did afterwards I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he "declared war" on SA or something (he wouldn't be the first).

He spent a year or so at Newdoom before the inevitable ban, followed by about three months at Doom Center (R.I.P) where his attempts to build a personal army backfired so hilariously that the SA goons mounted a forum invasion and actually broke what little sanity he had left at this point.

I really should send him a card at some point.

Yeah that's right, on Newdoom he was posting pics from rotten.com, of guys projectile vomiting, somebody's whale penis and some huge thing that didn't want to load and despite being asked not to post that crap he kept doing it. It was like he wanted to get banned and he wouldn't shut up about Lester's fucking pants.

I did like his Check out these huge breasts thread.

I enjoyed being part of the wad detailing the forum hack though. I'd given up on modding the legacy forum after that event.

I had forgotten about that Huge Breasts thread.

darknation, I found a REoL comic on my comp that you drew way back when. haha. It's a wonder I still have it considering I lost a ton of old stuff that I had saved when my external drive bit the dust a few years ago.