Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echoplex

Hellgate Lotis (demo?)

I guess this would be called a demo, but anyway here is the wad or i guess soon to be (i hope) mega wad. its the first 5 levels of Hellgate.
built using Doombuilder w/ zdoom (doom in doom format), only Doom II textures used, and meant for i guess vanilla style play (no jumping or gravity stuff) its a simple wad i guess you can say.

I haven't been able to do anything other than build the levels (so no custom music or level titles.) and it has only one difficulty, i haven't expanded for anything higher than HMP (but its still pretty tough). for those that want to just play it here is the link, please offer feedback, i'm new at this.
(side note: Lv5: They're Back?!, i know its a little like a slay fest but i have reason for it. It was the only way i could make the mini-boss at the end a challenge, just play through and see what i mean)

http://www.mediafire.com/?o4l1l2fwax05za1

for those wanting to know some of the story stuff, here it is:
L1: Failsafe (keep the UAC prisoners from escaping)
L2: Hellgate I (stop the Hellgate and its gatekeeper from being built)
L3: Normandy (its time to march on hells shores again)
L4: Hellfire Point (A molten daemon spawn encampment)
L5: They're Back?! (...and they haven't forgotten your last fight on phobos)

After the stop of Hell on Earth, Earthlings began to rebuild. Meanwhile the UAC worked on ways to prevent those events that nearly wiped out humanity for happening again. But only 2 years after the HoE disaster, A UAC base holding some of hells captives is raided. It looks like Hell isn't done, and something bigger is leading a well planned attack on earth.

thanks and enjoy.

Just for funsies here's an FDA: http://speedy.sh/8vAF2/lotisFDA.lmp

The first 2 maps played ok, but 3 and 4 were twisted menageries of HOMS and missing textures, are the maps complete? Or maybe the walls have flats for textures (that's a zdoom thing, isn't it? I was playing in PrBoom).

The maps definitely have some serious 'beginner mapper' vibe, but keep it up, they were still kinda fun to play none the less :D

Ribbiks said:

The first 2 maps played ok, but 3 and 4 were twisted menageries of HOMS and missing textures, are the maps complete? Or maybe the walls have flats for textures (that's a zdoom thing, isn't it? I was playing in PrBoom).

I played this in ZDoom, and the maps do indeed have flats for walls.

Anyway, I just finished it, and while I do think there are a lot of good/unique ideas in here, a lot of it is weighed down by technical and gameplay issues. A lot of your doors have different texture alignments from one side to the other, one door in level 2 comes out the ground, and a lot of rooms aren't aligned properly. Also there's a leap you have to make in level 4 to a chaingunner island which is basically impossible to make without jumping too.

The gameplay issues are a little more striking in my opinion. Enemies easily infight before teleporting when they see you through the slits in the walls in level 2, the Archvile in that level causes a lot of damage with no safe spots to fight him if you're unaware of where he spawns, level 3 is a bit confusing and fighting specters in the pitch black is not fun, you only give ONE haz suit in level 4 which is a little easy to miss, the second Archvile in that level forces you to run from him, and the flood of Pain Elementals in level 5 makes it impossible to finish if you have no BFG ammo left (since you won't have any ammo for the next fight).

However, I did like certain aspects about it, like the crushers in the first level, the IoS image in level 2, the lava-cave theme of level 4 (and it's lava bridge), the idea of only having ammo+health at the beginning of level 5 and the design of the final fight in that level. Like I said, there are good ideas, but the final product just feels... unpolished is all.

In my mind i liked to believe that they were done but i knew if i had people play them there would e thing that need to be fixed. And yeah this was built for Zdoom, i didn't know using flats causes issues with other formats?

And yeah, i'm not sure how to fix that damn door in level 2 where it takes forever to open the first time since it starts at the ground. that's

this made me smile

dobugabumaru said:

Also there's a leap you have to make in level 4 to a chaingunner island which is basically impossible to make without jumping too.

i did make some switches for a way to cross the gap. the 2 floating skull rocks, the taller one raises a part of lava little by little and the short one drops it to the ground. I thought it was a pretty well hidden switch, and i guess it worked lol.

And i'm glad it wasn't lame for me to put a IoS image in L2 I wanted the feel of an unfinised IoS being built by Hell in a UAC base.

and i do need to put one or 2 more in there, its hard to forget, "oh i built this so i know where exactly to go...but people playing don't"

I do want to fix Lv 5 more, because i love the idea of fighting the bruiser brothers again only its tougher with some health and low ammo, and you're in a lava pit. and i wan't to give the level more character, and make it not so bland at the start.

thank you for the feedback, this is absolutely what i want.