Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

Spider mastermind a dumb idea for a boss?

I have always thought that the Ep2 and 3 bosses should be reversed. My main reason for this is their relative HP and attack strengths (ie the Cybie is tougher so should be the final boss). Either that, or the spider should have been beefed up and maybe given more HPs and an alternative BFG attack or something like that Realm667 beast (Demolisher?).

However, the spider being a big brain on metal legs does work for me. The melding of advanced tech with hellish elements is laced throughout the game. And if you want something to "mastermind" your invasion, what better than a giant brain?

In light of this discussion though, I guess I could still think of them being reversed. The Spider would therefore become an intermediate boss. What would the logic be there? Well, I suppose the spider could have masterminded the plans but have done so at the behest of a bigger, more powerful demon.

Cyberdemon: I want to invade the human realm, any suggestions?
Baron of Hell: I just happen to know this gigantic brain that has a knack for planning.
Cyberdemon: OK, I'll give her a shout. You got her number?
Baron of Hell: six, six... :P

The mastermind could even have been created for the purpose of planning the invasion. Its reward? Having dominion over the new realm - the Deimos base floating above hell. That would still leave a big, tough demon in his lair in hell to be the overall leader of the invasion but with a strategist that exists elsewhere.

I have certainly never seen the mastermind as the ultimate boss of hell (nor the stupid wall the Icon of Sin for that matter). It is the mastermind of an invasion but a long way short of being the biggest, baddest thing in hell.

I honestly think the hitscan attack was the real reason for the reduced hp. As said, dodging the attack is impossible, and i imagine way more people had trouble maneuvering around cover way back then, which meant the guys at id might hsve died mire often facing the spider... especially when you consider how tricky it'd be to handle the fight from a pistol start, as ammo is scattered and the RL is a piss-poor gun for triggering a pain chance. Meanwhile, that cyberdemon was boatloads toughet, but at least you could move away from a rocket flying at your face.

Players have just adjusted over the years so that finding cover and running circles arouns enemies is a breeze.

I used to think smastermind was tougher. Some years later he became easier. I'm back to thinking smastermind is tougher simply because I can kill Cyby without a scratch unless i get hit by some splash damage. The difference is that Cyby has a chance , albeit a small chance, at getting a two hit kill while Smasy (the name just keeps getting better) still has to whittle away at my HP. If I had to fight both bosses in the open with no cover Smasy would take more HP from me.