Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Invisiblity idea

Does anyone think that it's a good idea that to become partially invisible would be by spectres. After a spectre is killed and you move over it you become partially invisible as if the player uses the carcass of the demon to cover themselves. I think it's better that just a stupid eye

You can try it, most easily through a ZDoom DECORATE mod. Have the Spectre spawn an invisible item that grants partial invisibility for a shorter time.

Sounds intresting! What do you mean by it though? Like would it be like if you walked over it the invisibilty would cloak you? Or would it be like an inventory item that you have to activate?

Just when you walk over it it will cloak you. However, the one problem would be explaining what causes it to wear off over time.

I misread; so you meant that the player only is partially invisible while he touches the carcass?

Leon said:

Just when you walk over it it will cloak you. However, the one problem would be explaining what causes it to wear off over time.

You coud make it too where in a map, there are already dead spectres, and you put invisibilty item over there corpses, but you change the invisoblity sprite to something blank. So it looks like you got the invisibilty by walking over the spectre corpses.

We appreciate your suggestion but Doom has already been released for 17 years and adding this feature to an already released game is irrelevant at this point. Id Software is currently hiring if you'd like to contribute to their up and coming Doom 4.

40oz said:

We appreciate your suggestion but Doom has already been released for 17 years and adding this feature to an already released game is irrelevant at this point. Id Software is currently hiring if you'd like to contribute to their up and coming Doom 4.

Is that comment really necessary? It contributes absolutely nothing and discourages creativity.

Sodaholic said:

Is that comment really necessary? It contributes absolutely nothing and discourages creativity.

You'll see, Sodaholic. One day soon we'll finally have to accept that players will never attain the long-sought-after ability to modify Doom themselves without the input of id Software… and who will have the last laugh then?!?

So you're saying that you pick up the dead body of a spectre to conceal yourself. I like the idea. I think i would like to take it a bit further with:
- Slower Movement. after said carcass is picked up
- Different Sprites. for when you're heaving the body around
- Only Use Of Smaller Weapons. Whilst of course heaving the body around

It would be an interesting mod to do.

Leon said:

The idea of it wearing off being that the doomguy gets tired of heaving the carcass of a huge demon around and just drops it.

Sodaholic said:

Did you read the last sentence? How discouraging was that?

40oz said:

You mean the one that was almost certainly sarcastic? Not very, since at that point it was already dismissed as not worth reading.

40oz said:

you are ridiculous to the point of being funny... except when you direct that ridiculousness at me. Then its not funny anymore.

-_-

Just stop the flame wars people. I thought Doom players were a bit more adult than that...

Doom's code is essentially a living document at this point - anything goes, for those with the time or skill to tweak it. Fuck the haters, etc.

Re: original idea. It's a neat concept, but I don't think it would be very useful to most Doomers if it worked like the partial invisibility presently in the game.

I think most would be annoyed if it were an unavoidable pick-up.

Personally I hate partial invisibility and avoid it unless all I see around me are hitscanners. That being said, I think making some maps based around this idea can be fun at the least for its uniqueness.

schmerr said:

Just stop the flame wars people. I thought Doom players were a bit more adult than that...

*looks at achmerr's join date*
*looks disappointed*

40oz said:

I feel like this comment would be equally appropriate on every single one of the files at doomworld/idgames.

Perhaps instead of partial invisibility (or maybe in addition to) the player (and by extension the spectre as well) was semi no-clip. This would require both some kind new linedef flag (impassible, but allow semi no-clip things to pass), and certainly maps would need more done to them to make use/cater for this power up (or even just the spectres) I mean you could make them literally come out of walls that a player (without the power up) could not enter.

I could see the power up having some interesting uses in say boss fights where it gives the player more freedom (run through pillars) in an arena fight or access to extra ammo etc. Perhaps whilst having the power up, the players projectiles could also travel through the semi-passible flagged linedefs too.

I think you should be able to tip barrels upside down and use them as 'invisibiliy cloaks'. You might not be able to see where you are going when wearing your barrel but if you shuffle slowly enough the monsters will never know you are there.

maybe a couple of bullet holes would do the trick. As long as you remember to empty the barrel first

actually, not even sure this would be possible but it would be really cool to go partially invisible only while standing directly over a specter's corpse. That would be pretty cool. Then you still have the option of just stepping off of the corpse when it isn't useful anymore.