Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arkore

Zone F - Vanilla 4-Player COOP(Pro) (Survival(1 Life))

In 2025, the global economy collapses, and unemployment and crime rates skyrocket. The government begins broadcasting a violent game show in which convicted criminals(players) fight for their lives and avoid certain death for a chance to be pardoned and set free.

Moving from Area to Area within the studio/arena, players must shoot down hordes of enemies that advance from all directions, while at the same time collecting weapons and power-ups until a final show down.

[LOGO]

Server ONLINE: 108.61.83.66:15080

---

Updates:
v0.6d
- Significant changes.
- Now based off: Smash TV, Running Man, and Cube.
- Updated story.
- Major changes to rooms.
- New textures. (+45 themed textures / +75 patches.)
- New texture naming scheme.
- New music. (+5 professional purchased themed tracks, including Bonus Round track, and Ending track.)
- Extended deadline.

v0.5
- Major changes to rooms/encounters.
- New textures. (+20 doom-themed textures / +33 patches.)

v0.4
Changes to rooms.

v0.3
Changes to rooms.
Changes to rules.

v0.2
Changes to gates and switches systems.

v0.1
Based off Smash TV and Cube.

---
---
---

Summary of this thread:

Xaser said:

interesting, but limiting the design to a featureless, square box most certainly isn't. [/B]
07-25-12

This project is no longer limited. Each map is now a full unique layout of a series of rooms, corridors, etc. I say unique, because there will still be some limitations.
01-04-13

Xaser said:

I've heard that limitations breed creativity (and agree to some extent)[/B]
07-25-12

An example limitation would be the usage of the key cards Red, Blue, and Yellow. Key cards are no longer the focus in maps, but rather now a series of "Exit Gates" that are opened(unlocked) via switches throughout the map.
01-04-13

Justince said:

an entire megawad would be tedious. [/B]
07-26-12

This is no longer a concern, because this project is no longer limited.

This will be a unique and popular megawad, and I feel I can offer a nice experience over a course of 32 maps, divided into 4 sections/parts.

The project is no longer limited to single-room maps.
- There will be variation/fluxation in the maps; some short, some long.
- The first map will be a Starting map, with stylish environment.
- There is also a Bonus Round map(with no monsters), which is a nice break from the other maps.
- There will be an Ending map(no monsters) as well, with stylish environment and custom music.
01-04-13

GhostlyDeath said:

a Megawad which requires more than one player to beat (i.e. puzzles, switches) etc. would be awesome. [/B]
07-30-12

Very fun.
However, I have received complaints from players that found it to be too restrictive to force 4 player coop.
So, I've changed 4-player puzzles to be optional now. I add alternate path(or route) in the map for a player to walk through to bypass the puzzle; if a single player wants to play the map. As penalty though--for playing singleplayer--the length and difficulty of the alternate path/route is increased significantly.
01-04-13

Memfis said:

1) LOTS of restrictions, both design and gameplay related. You give your mappers very little freedom.
2) Very unusual concept, most people would rather work on something a bit more "traditional".[/B]
11-17-12

1) The project is no longer restricted.
2) The concept is more along the lines of "traditional" now.
01-04-13

Edited by arkore : Remove broken images.

Okay, I've heard that limitations breed creativity (and agree to some extent), but the restrictions you've levied here are obscene. o_O

The idea of building a map that takes four players to beat is interesting, but limiting the design to a featureless, square box most certainly isn't.

Xaser said:

Okay, I've heard that limitations breed creativity (and agree to some extent), but the restrictions you've levied here are obscene. o_O

The idea of building a map that takes four players to beat is interesting, but limiting the design to a featureless, square box most certainly isn't.

All of this. Consider granting some leeway in your ruleset.

Xaser said:

I agree, a Megawad which requires more than one player to beat (i.e. puzzles, switches) etc. would be awesome.

Xaser said:

The idea of building a map that takes four players to beat is interesting

Something like Hired Guns would be pretty cool, IMO.

arkore said:

I'm curious why no one has signed up for mine

* I don't think most mappers have any experience in coop oriented mapping. Especially in 4 player only coop!
* LOTS of restrictions, both design and gameplay related. You give your mappers very little freedom.
* Very unusual concept, most people would rather work on something a bit more "traditional".
* I think you've released only one map (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1083609) and in this thread you posted only one uninteresting screenshot. People are more likely to join your project when you're well-known mapper and you can show some cool shots.

So, here it is: Chapter 1. (DEMO)
Yes, you get 12 maps now, and you get to experience new music, bonus maps, and the intermission map(an adventure map) that leads to the next Sector(MAPS 12 - 20). Be careful though, because the path leading to the next Sector is guarded by Cyberdemons.

v0.6 Features:
- Currently undergoing significant changes.
- Now based off: Smash TV, Running Man, and Cube.
- Updated story.
- Major changes to rooms.
- New textures. (+45 themed textures / +75 patches.)
- New texture naming scheme.
- New music. (+5 professional purchased themed tracks, including Bonus Round track, and Ending track.)
- Extended deadline.

http://tinyurl.com/zone-f-project (New download, new screenshots, etc.)

no but i would really like to. unfortunately i don't have enough friends :p

i'd love it if someone hosted a server for this though

Zandronum focus.

v0.6 is now available and hosted at this server: 108.61.83.66:15080

This is a vanilla-like wad. It's not pure vanilla(so, it may not work 100% in pure vanilla ports/engines, or you may see a couple error mesasges). But, it also doesn't have any fancy scripting stuff either; therefore it does not scale down monsters/difficulty and such.

Find 3 friends to play with, because this is built for 4-players only. The option to play it single player is available, but good luck.

TIPs:
- Elect one of your teammates to be the leader.
- Movement (all teammates move together)
- Focus target (all teammates should attack the same target as the leader does, to kill it fast.)
- Monster priority (Team must plan which monsters to kill first)

The idea behind this project, is that must NOT die at all. You MUST survive the entire wad. If you die, you lose your weapons/ammo/backpacks.

If the entire team dies, you must restart from map01. In fact, if I could, I would script this wad to restart back to map01 once the entire team dies. So, I recommend you just callvote map01 if your entire team dies. Don't worry, the maps are fairly short for you to get through them again.

arkore said:

v0.6 is now available and hosted at this server: 108.61.83.66:15080

For everyone's info: It's Zandronum.

Phml said:

R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found. :(

Sorry, I never heard of that texture, nor is it in my wad. I think maybe your port/engine is broken.

I'm using "F_SKY1" for sky.

I think this is because you've put your textures in new PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps, rather than add them to PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps including the original Doom 2 textures. Doing that will work in ZDoom-based ports, but not in vanilla Doom or Boom ports.

It's an error message which appears in vanilla and other ports lower than ZDoom. Phml wanted to point out that you have, as many people do, probably tested your wad only in ZDoom based port and used some "ZDoomisms" (ZDoom typical design/structure choices) that make the wad impossible to play in vanilla, even though it is in vanilla format. In your case, you probably incorrectly included TEXTURES and PNAMES lump in your wad. SKY3 is a patch included in IWAD's TEXTURES/PNAMES lumps, and non-ZDoom ports can't stand if they don't find all patches in your TEXTURES lump.

EDIT: Came late.

Oh I see. Strange.

I followed a basic tutorial for adding custom textures to a wad, and it all worked.

It seemed to me I was doing everything right--in a vanilla sense. It seemed like a classic tutorial, from vanilla days. So...

I don't quite understand what you're saying, or what the problem is; and to be honest, I really can't be bothered to figure it out. I'm kind of getting sick of this. I thought mapping for vanilla doom would be easy; but apparently it isn't.

I guess I'll just remove the "this wad is a vanilla wad" statement from my posts, because I don't have time to figure out stupid issues like this; isn't worth my time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

---

See next page (PAGE 2) -->