Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

doom short stories

here is what i propose:

every month, someone chooses a question from Doom that could make a nice little short story. everyone can have their on variation on the story, backround information, and point of veiw.

my suggestion for this month is:

Why did the Icon of Sin have UAC pipes and computers built into it?

i apologize if this is a stupid idea.

Here's my reason. Since a brain is just a lot of little electical signals, the icon os sin is built into all that stuff so it can control computers and what not for total domination. All those pipes are filled with wires and components. The reason they're UAC was because when the demons first found human technology, it was marked by UAC. The monters learned about are technology from UAC, so they figure the most obvious way for them to make sure everything would work would be to use UAC stuff. This isn't a story, but it is a point of view and a guess.

Hmm, a little hard to make a short story out of this question, but this thread is a good thing to provide ideas and inspiration.
Here's my suggestion to the question (it's similar to javaguy's in some ways):

After having slowly corrupted the experimental gateways on Phobos and Deimos causing the Deimos gate to transport the whole moon to Hell, while maintaining the link to Phobos, thus creating a gateway to Hell, the Overlords of Hell sought to create their own gateway, which could transport the demonic hordes to the human homeworld Earth.

The four mastermind demons of Hell had been able to see into the diminsion of the humans since the first experiments with the two UAC gateways had started. They had found out much about the humans, including their homeplanet.

During the invasion of the Martian moons, the demons plundered the bases on these moons for human technology and used it not only to enhance some of the lesser demonlords, but to attempt building their own gateway.
They ultimately succeeded.

The almighty Icon of Sin, one of the mightiest Overlords with the most powerful mind of Hell, had it's brain enhanced with human gateway technology, but it had its enormous head stuck in the machinery rendering it immobile.
The Icon could thus use it's sheer brainpower to create a rift to Earth from which the Hellish hordes could pass.

The Icon of Sin uses these terminals as a transmitter and reciever of psychic waves sent by him and his minions. He also uses these terminals as 'cameras', so that he can watch his conquered teritories. When a teritory is being trespassed upon he will send some of his minions to a.) attack or b.) investigate, depending on what is going on. The Icon also uses these computers to monitor the gateways and make sure they are in full power.

More like answering the question than a story, but:

Before Doomguy (McKnight, if you want to call him that :) was fighting the demons, the Baphomet obtained the human technology via the captured moon kinda discreetly. If it wasn't for that, the invasion of Earth would never have happened.

I don't want to say too much because mainly my brain is tired and I need sleep after just getting home from a 5.5 hour trip back home from Dallas.

[edit]Goddamn you, dsm....[/edit]

ok, here's my take at it...

Once the UAC and military had trasported Deimos to the "other dimention", they split into 3 teams: Phi, Mu, and Omega

Team Phi was made up of scientists dedecated to enhancing the primitive life forms of Hell.

Team Mu was on orders to survey Hell for possible human colonization and to build bases for thew military.

Team Omega was the most elite team. Their goal was to find the history of Hell.

Team Phi succeeded with the Cyberdemon class guard (a biotech enhancement of the Hell Knight), and the SpiderMasterminds (four were built to rule Hell, and a cloning chamber was made in their lair of Dis).

Team Mu discovered that Hell was built overtop a huge cavern of slime, and built various mining colonies (abandoned mines, the chasam.) They also made a few military bases (pandemonium) and human colonies (monster condo, catacombs).

Team Omega was the most sucessful. After learning all they could, they attempted, with the help of team Phi, to revive the head of a cheif demon found underground. They Succeeded. Too well.

Originally posted by Insomniac
how do YOU know? huh? were YOU there when it happened? didn't think so.

Riiiiiight....they'd send it to hell for no reason.....

Besides, in the instruction manual it says that it unexpectedly vanished.

Colonize Hell???
Who the fuck would want to live in Hell?

...Hmm, they could send really sick criminals there...

Originally posted by Insomniac
how do YOU know? huh? were YOU there when it happened? didn't think so.

From the doom story
A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

Originally posted by dsm
Colonize Hell???

you spotted that to eh?

Originally posted by dsm
Colonize Hell???

...Hmm, they could send really sick criminals there...

Sending them to Cleveland would be worse.

Oh, in actual response to the question, heh. The answer is simple: In the Doom2 intermission screen after Map 6, it talks about how the demons are subverting the starbase, and there's evidence of similar subversion in Ultimate Doom E2, too. In addition to subverting, they must've stolen some UAC technology or whatever, and used it to enhance themselves. Or, they have their own damn technology. Remember, it said in the story that these fuckers were the ones that built them in the first place, I think. Or else I'm thinking of the story of some WAD that I've played over the years...

Originally posted by Archvile64
Remember, it said in the story that these fuckers were the ones that built them in the first place, I think. Or else I'm thinking of the story of some WAD that I've played over the years...

You're thinking of a different story all right, the gates were built by humans, but something went wrong (it is not known wether the gateways themselves opened a door to Hell that became unstable and ultimately sucked Deimos into Hell or if it just opened a "connection" to Hell which the Demons fucked with to turn the gateways into a portal to Hell) and Demons poured through.

Nothing is explained about the Doom 2 gate to Hell - we can only guess at that point.

Team Mu was on orders to survey Hell for possible human colonization and to build bases for thew military.
well.

Sounds like living with my mother-in-law...

I think the pipes were just a complicated shit draining system, with John Romero inside his head... what else could it be???

Originally posted by Alboroto
I think the pipes were just a complicated shit draining system, with John Romero inside his head... what else could it be???

John Romero BELONGS IN a shit drainage system.

anyways...

they didn't know it was Hell at first. Until they got there, they just thought of it as another dimention.

They still don't know it's Hell. It could still just be another dimension (a really fucked up one) or a really distant planet. Er... let's not get into an argument about that though.

Originally posted by Crendowing
John Romero BELONGS IN a shit drainage system.

YOU ARE JOHN ROMERO'S BITCH. GRAB HOLD OF YOUR ANKLES AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

Bloody hell (pun intended), don't get started on the 'hell's a distant planet' thing... that, in my opinion, was what tarnished the books 'Knee Deep in the Dead' and 'Hell on Earth'... they're demons from hell, leave it be!
Another thing... wasn't the Baphomet supposed to be a Goat's head?