Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Merry Widow

Raged about it!

Since I can't find any other answers,I thought I would ask here.I have an Acer 2011 Aspire with Windows 7.Rage installed on my laptop okay,my Steam account is okay,but Rage just won't play!The video card is an intel hd graphics,4 gigs of memory,320 gigs hard drive,and is 64 bits.I used the open gl,and now my laptop will play almost anything,from doom 3 to wolfenstein (2009).Would you believe help?Thank you!

Intel HD graphics? That's integrated, right? If it is, it really sucks and you should get a hardware upgrade like a video card (don't know much about laptops, so I don't know if you CAN upgrade that). While RAGE was designed with high-end 2005 hardware in mind despite being released in 2011, I think you'll still need a better rig than a generic laptop not really meant for gaming.

grouchbag said:

I used the open gl,and now my laptop will play almost anything,from doom 3 to wolfenstein (2009).

Just because something uses OpenGL, doesn't mean it can use every version of OpenGL ever released. Most of the Integrated Intel GPUs still only support OpenGL 2.1, however RAGE needs at-least OpenGL 3.2.

This, however, not including the fact that idtech5 is not exactly a simple engine. I'm not sure of any integrated GPU that would have the available performance/VRAM to handle the texture streaming RAGE uses.

Intel GMA or HD is a crapshoot -shit might run, or it simply might not run, and the complexity of the game is not even a sure bet -as you said, Wolfenstein 2009 might run, while something like a Football Manager might not.

Not even the amount of -shared- video RAM is fixed or guaranteed , nor does it always scale properly automatically, so some games will simply refuse to start at all. Plus, performance is the equivalent of having one or two unified shaders, aka practically no 3D acceleration whatsoever, what you see is more like software emulation of a 3D card.

If you are serious about laptop gaming, the very least get something with a real GPU (ATI, nVidia). This is usually a tradeoff you make at purchase time (e.g. better GPU but smaller HD or less RAM).

MODS: why not make a sticky called "Help! I have a crappy Intel GMA/HD card and can't play 3D games!"? This question gets asked so often I lost count.

Maes said:

MODS: why not make a sticky called "Help! I have a crappy Intel GMA/HD card and can't play 3D games!"? This question gets asked so often I lost count.

At least I can play GZDoom, albeit kinda slow and glitchy skyboxes sometimes. PIECE OF SHIT.

printz said:

At least I can play GZDoom, albeit kinda slow and glitchy skyboxes sometimes. PIECE OF SHIT.

That's actually one of the worst aspects of Intel integrated shit: it's so inconsistent in behavior that you might be able to play some games just fine (relatively speaking) whole others will bomb right away. Also makes it hard to explain to people that the thing really IS a POS. "But it works with game X which looks sooooo much better and newer than game Y! Why doesn't it work with Y?"

Seriously. the only thing worse than this chip is VIA UniChrome. it couldn't even do 1.1 correctly.

Minumum GPU requirement for Rage is listed as

Video Card: GeForce 8800, Radeon HD 4200

Your Intel HD chip just isn't going to cut it.

Goddamn integrated intel users....

Csonicgo said:

Seriously. the only thing worse than this chip is VIA UniChrome. it couldn't even do 1.1 correctly.

It can't even do OpenGL 1.0 correctly.

How does it compare to S3 Trio?