Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arclite

Making a big Wad

I notice most Doom Wads are usually no bigger than 50 mbs, but I'm working on a MegaWad right now that is probably going to come out to about 300 mbs (32 levels, lots of textures, MP3 music), is that bad?
I mean will people make a big deal if it's that big? Or is it not going to be paid much mind?

Thanks in advance.

Well I personally wouldnt mind but some Doomers have bad internet so it would take them hours to download.
One option might be to do one version with MP3 Music and another with MIDI so everyone can play the version he wants to play :D

Yeah that's a good idea, problem is though...the MP3 music is actually a huge part of it, as it adds a lot of atmosphere to the levels, and I'm afraid people will just instead download the MIDI one because it's a smaller file :(

Arclite said:

Yeah that's a good idea, problem is though...the MP3 music is actually a huge part of it, as it adds a lot of atmosphere to the levels, and I'm afraid people will just instead download the MIDI one because it's a smaller file :(

Oh yeah I kno what you mean ;)
Can u maybe give us some info on the WAD if its that big and atmospheric I cant wait to see it :D

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I'd love it, keep it up. I'll playtest it if you need it. I love giant wads.

That'd be great man, thanks! However it may be about a month or more before it's finished. Also something else I forgot to mention: It's going to require Skulltag 98.0d and Brutaldoom both to really be enjoyable, let alone playable.
I'm afraid that might also be an issue for some Doomers.

omegamer said:

Oh yeah I kno what you mean ;)
Can u maybe give us some info on the WAD if its that big and atmospheric I cant wait to see it :D

Well every level has an MP3 track, including the episodic text screens. It requires the latest version of Skulltag and a Doom2/TNT/Plutonia wad, and Brutaldoom to really be playable.
I'm currently working on a story for it and finishing up the 7th level.

Arclite said:

Well every level has an MP3 track, including the episodic text screens. It requires the latest version of Skulltag and a Doom2/TNT/Plutonia wad, and Brutaldoom to really be playable.

Makes me even more want to play it I use Skulltag for 50% of my Doom Stuff the others 50% prboom

Arclite said:

I think that it would be better to run it with a Zandronum alpha, as Skulltag will soon host its giant migration to Zan.

Also, I'd advise against .mp3's or at least, put them in an optional file. Another option is to convert them to .ogg since they have a much smaller filesize. The largest wads I've ever downloaded are stuff like extremely beautiful model or sprite rips, so

For a wad thats 300 mb in size it better be worth it

Alright thanks a lot for the helpful replies guys!
I better get back to work on my wad :)

BloodyAcid said:

Another option is to convert them to .ogg since they have a much smaller filesize.

Ogg's aren't all that much smaller unless you opt for a lower quality setting. I'd make non-midi music an optional download.