Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

No more plats!

I have an issue with a map, where I get the no more plats! error if I try to use a certain platform. However, all the other floors on the map have been stopped. I have some PMPs, but they aren't moving when I try to use the lift. Also quite a few lower-floor-to-8-above-nearest. But they're all done by the time I use the lift as well. Could it be that the total number needed to causes the error accumulates, and it's not just all at once?

Thanks!

NT

If they accumulate, it means somewhere in the code plats can stop without being cleaned out:

void P_AddActivePlat(plat_t* plat)
{
    int		i;

for (i = 0;i < MAXPLATS;i++)
	if (activeplats[i] == NULL)
	{
	    activeplats[i] = plat;
	    return;
	}
    I_Error ("P_AddActivePlat: no more plats!");
}
Note that the only plats that get cleaned out are DownWaitUpStay, Blazing DownWaitUpStay, RaiseAndChange, and RaiseToNearestAndChange. Perpetual plats in particular are not cleaned out but merely put "in stasis" when they stop moving.

Saddest thing about this limit is it's completely unnecessary. The engine actually gains absolutely no advantage from tracking plats this way.

Instead of setting th->function == NULL, they could have just coded a plat_stasis "direction" and test for that in T_Plat. This is what Eternity has done since having changed over to C++, seeing that th->function is now a virtual and can't be reassigned to NULL anyways.

I just wish I knew wtf they were thinking sometimes 9_9

Quasar said:

Saddest thing about this limit is it's completely unnecessary. The engine actually gains absolutely no advantage from tracking plats this way.

Would you rather of had Doom release in 1993 or 1994?

GhostlyDeath said:

Would you rather of had Doom release in 1993 or 1994?

Considering I never played it til 1997, it wouldn't have bothered me to have an engine that was a year more mature in its development :)