Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Making an RPG - Doom mod vs. Stencyl game?

Which platform would be better?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform would be better?

• Stencyl (custom game)
    • Doom (modification)

Probably I would have written this thread to "Everything else" but I think it's a bit related to Doom.

So, the situation is that I need your advices. I'm planning to create a shooter-RPG game with simple gameplay but complex story (hub system, open world features, etc.) and I can't decide how to start. I'm bad at programming so the best choices for me are: making a Flash game with Stencyl OR making a Doom mod.

Stencyl advantages:
- Pretty simple, easy to learn.
- Helps a lot, even at the coding part.

Stencyl disadvantage:
- Stencyl doesn't support 3D, so in this case, I have to create a 45° top-down view, like in Chrono Trigger and several RPG games that were made to the NES. This style needs so strong drawing skills which I won't be able to do.

Doom advantages:
- I know it for years, so I can find out how to create textures, how to balance monsters etc.
- There are a lot of editor to help, and even the community is way bigger than Stencyl community (DW Forums, ZDoom Forums, Realm667, etc.)
- I can edit lumps easily.

Doom disadvantage:
- I absoultely have no idea how to do stuff with DECORATE and ACS. I've tried previously, and I can say: it's waaaaaaaay harder than in Stencyl. Even if I can ask for help here and on other places, I hate when I don't know what am I doing exactly.

So, which "platform" do you recommend? Do anybody have any other suggestions?

If I'm understanding your goals correctly, I'd say ditch both and give RPGMaker a try. I used it ~12 years ago and it was very intuitive to use for someone with no computer knowledge whatsoever.

Phml: I know RPG Maker, and my problem is that it doesn't allow real-time fights, as I know and you have to defeat all the enemies one by one. Or probably, am I wrong?

Phml: I know RPG Maker, and my problem is that it doesn't allow real-time fights, as I know and you have to defeat all the enemies one by one. Or probably, am I wrong?

I believe there are ways to make fighting real-time; I remember having played a fair share of Zelda-like RPGMaker games.

Probably not as easy as the basic implemented turn-based way to do stuff, you're right. Still, if the community is as active now as it used to be, you could probably find some examples or even a set of scripts ready to use.

Truthfully, I don't know much. My reasoning is, Stencyl seems good for small flash games but gets hairy to manage for more complex games, at which point the initial userfriendly aspect becomes more clunky than anything; as for Doom, given the amount of talented people in this community, seeing no significant and completed RPG project despite how often we see people starting these makes me assume there has to be hurdles of some kind.

Katamori said:

I'm planning to create a shooter-RPG game with simple gameplay but complex story (hub system, open world features, etc.)

How about Strife?