Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Band names

I've been thinking of forming a two-man band with Freder, and I was considering the name "Psychic Lynx", so I Googled it to make sure it wasn't taken, but turns out there's some stupid "psychic readings" site that has that exact name. There have been media that have the same titles as other stuff, yet they use it anyway. I was wondering if it's okay in your opinion to use the name since it has nothing to do with actual bullshit voodoo services, just psychedelic music themed after the occult and who knows what else.

Use whatever you want. Unless it's already an established band there should be no issues. The only problem you might run into with the name you chose is anyone googling the name will probably find that psychic readings site first; however if you're any good eventually you'll overtake them on the search results and have the dual advantage of possibly attracting people who were looking for the other thing.

Sodaholic said:

I've been thinking of forming a two-man band with Freder, and I was considering the name "Psychic Lynx", so I Googled it to make sure it wasn't taken, but turns out there's some stupid "psychic readings" site that has that exact name. There have been media that have the same titles as other stuff, yet they use it anyway. I was wondering if it's okay in your opinion to use the name since it has nothing to do with actual bullshit voodoo services, just psychedelic music themed after the occult and who knows what else.

Is "The Shitposters" taken?

Jeez, dude, you're really going at me, the last four of your posts in a row have been nothing but attacking me. But hey, I don't care, I find it amusing, actually.

And "The Shitposters" isn't really appropriate since I'm the shitposter, not Freder. :P

Nomad said:

Use whatever you want. Unless it's already an established band there should be no issues. The only problem you might run into with the name you chose is anyone googling the name will probably find that psychic readings site first; however if you're any good eventually you'll overtake them on the search results and have the dual advantage of possibly attracting people who were looking for the other thing.

This is pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to see what others thought, thanks for confirming.

Aliotroph? said:

Yes, but asking DW for legal advice is silly.

I wasn't asking about the legal aspects of it, I just wanted to know what people thought about the use of an obscure name already used by something obscure.

Freder is an excelent name. Or, if you're too wary of any possible thunder stealing, you could forge a pormanteu with Sodaholic.

Frolic. Sodafred(s). Supreme.

Getting tired of hearing about your bromance. Start yer dumb band, it's already really original.

As long as no major band / artist has that name already, you should be fine. I did the same thing with my music projects, made sure no other, potentially more popular musician has the name I wanted.

I notice a severe lack of Freder for a thread in which the name is brought up several times.

Snakes said:

I notice a severe lack of Freder for a thread in which the name is brought up several times.

He's not on these forums as often as I am. I have already discussed this with him and he said he might be interested in creating the band.

Just call it "Sodaholic". Try posing REALLY PUMPED UP and with 10 KG OF SUGAR IN YOUR BLOODSTREAM for the album cover. And read REAL ULTIMATE POWER so that you TOTALLY FLIP OUT.

I like the name Psychic Lynx, it makes me think of a psychic link.

We've done some music stuff before, I wanted Soda to do a cover of "Dig it" by the Beatles and that eventually morphed into some of the background music in his "Sam's Adventure" game.

I've been thinking of changing the spelling of "Psykik" to "Psychik", but should I drop the extra X in the word "Lynxx"? The reason I messed with the spelling was to differentiate it from that site.

Protip: Work on your product before worrying about marketing it. Doesn't matter if you have the coolest band name in the world if you have nothing to sell it with.

Dude, what? Axe? You do realize this probably counts as spam, right? Because I have no idea what humor is supposed to be there or how it relates to the contents of this thread. Oh well.

Dude, no, it's Lynx, can't you read? You do realise everything you post probably counts as spam, right?
What kind of music are you going to do anyway?
Psychic Lynx gives the impression of a band making trance/techno music, like Infected Mushroom.