Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arepakiller

Newb's questions

Recommended Posts

Hi all, First of all I will be as clear and Organize with my questions as I can (also I know I'm trying to be ambitious for a newbie for what I'm asking)

I've been reading a lot about skyboxes, how to make them, Importing textures using Slade 3 (And also how to convert them) so I Tried and Got some Questions, but I Watched this Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfl2eC1cmzU&feature=related

And got stunned by it and I want to go fancy actually and do something with the same principles, something worth doing, Like this guy on the video, For what I can See He made the clouds transparent and like a Tan- Orange texture like background (Full Opaque)but I still unclear how to make one like this:

1. I use Doom builder 2, and I know I can't actually get a 360 Degrees Skybox but I read somewhere there is a way but Lost track of the webpage. Is there any way? like doing something to the IWAD? If you know I appreciate it.:P

Edit: I found this: http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-23601.html

2. It is still unclear how is the sky render is done, It is possible to have the same effect of any sky on vanilla DOOM(2) with a skybox?

Edit: I just read that when i place f_sky1 on top It auto Draw the ceiling like transparent and redraw the sky. But How Can I get that Vainilla Sky effect with a custom Texture that changes (or Flat that changes)?
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky



3. I'm not quite sure what to do with a pack of Png custom Textures after importing it to slade for my skybox on doom builder 2. I want to use this file on the next link (these are a bunch of PNG for a skybox that moves):

http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1354:psx-fire-skies&catid=55:doom-style&Itemid=189

I don't know if ANIMDEFS should go in my Map's WAD, and how to place the lumps on it.

Edit: or how Can I use any of these packs?:
http://www.redsorceress.com/skybox.html

4. Also I'm confuse on flat and textures, how does it work the Textures of walls in comparison of flats and can I use them for my skybox to scroll so the textures moves like the one on the video?


Thanks a lot and I hope I don't confuse you.

I read this guide so you know how I got the Info:

http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_import_textures
http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_copy_and_convert_graphics

I appreciate any effort on responding or even trying to clear my doubts, Thanks a lot

Share this post


Link to post

FYI, there's no fancy effects on the sky texture, it's this graphic:



Also this page ought to give you a quick run down of how to implement a skybox: http://zdoom.org/zdkb/skybox.html. Be sure to check out the example wad in Doom Builder 2 yourself to see how it works since the tutorial is done with a different editor--the basic idea is still the same however. For your specific desires you may just have to play around with the idea.

For the moving sky the person in that wad used, you just make the skybox room cylindrical and use a scrolling texture special on the walls.

For those custom skys from Realm667, yes you must have the ANIMDEFS lump in your wad; you only need the entries for the specific skies you use though. You can use SLADE3 to add them. I don't understand what you don't get about adding them since you linked to some SLADE articles. Just read them and follow what it says.

Share this post


Link to post
Nomad said:

FYI, there's no fancy effects on the sky texture, it's this graphic:



Also this page ought to give you a quick run down of how to implement a skybox: http://zdoom.org/zdkb/skybox.html. Be sure to check out the example wad in Doom Builder 2 yourself to see how it works since the tutorial is done with a different editor--the basic idea is still the same however. For your specific desires you may just have to play around with the idea.

For the moving sky the person in that wad used, you just make the skybox room cylindrical and use a scrolling texture special on the walls.

For those custom skys from Realm667, yes you must have the ANIMDEFS lump in your wad; you only need the entries for the specific skies you use though. You can use SLADE3 to add them. I don't understand what you don't get about adding them since you linked to some SLADE articles. Just read them and follow what it says.


Thx a lot for that, only 2 questions more, how I make the room cylindrical? and where did you got that graphic?

Share this post


Link to post

What do you mean Cylindrical? You mean circular? When you click on the line defs of a square sector a "curve line def" symbol will appear at the right side of the tool bar which will curve them either inwards or outwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Leon said:

What do you mean Cylindrical? You mean circular? When you click on the line defs of a square sector a "curve line def" symbol will appear at the right side of the tool bar which will curve them either inwards or outwards.


I know that function, but I don't know if I can make it completely circular for a better effect

Share this post


Link to post

Not possible, any curved surface in Doom is going to be constructed using short straight lines.

Share this post


Link to post

It's from Hexen, but the one he posted looks like it's already in the Doom color palette. You can rip it from Hexen yourself, or download that image and insert it into your wad with Slade, then convert it to a "Doom Graphic". Make sure when you do your cylindrical skybox that you auto-align the textures so they wrap around the walls correctly. It would help if the sum of all wall lengths are a multiple of 256 so when the sky texture tiles horizontally, the whole thing will wrap seamlessly.

Just an additional tip, since there are no flat textures that will work well for that particular sky, you could make custom top and bottom flat textures using colors from that graphic. The bottom would be a solid light orange/yellow color, and the top would be solid black. Or you could just use black for the top, and have grass or rock on the floor of the skybox, if you intend to use "mountains" or other constructs inside the skybox itself.

Share this post


Link to post
EarthQuake said:

It's from Hexen, but the one he posted looks like it's already in the Doom color palette. You can rip it from Hexen yourself, or download that image and insert it into your wad with Slade, then convert it to a "Doom Graphic". Make sure when you do your cylindrical skybox that you auto-align the textures so they wrap around the walls correctly. It would help if the sum of all wall lengths are a multiple of 256 so when the sky texture tiles horizontally, the whole thing will wrap seamlessly.

Just an additional tip, since there are no flat textures that will work well for that particular sky, you could make custom top and bottom flat textures using colors from that graphic. The bottom would be a solid light orange/yellow color, and the top would be solid black. Or you could just use black for the top, and have grass or rock on the floor of the skybox, if you intend to use "mountains" or other constructs inside the skybox itself.


What is the Maximun Size supported to textures? is it 64x64?

Share this post


Link to post

128x64 and 64x64 are the most standard wall textures and flats. Of course, there are HD textures which are much larger. iirc, skies are 256x128

Share this post


Link to post
BloodyAcid said:

128x64 and 64x64 are the most standard wall textures and flats. Of course, there are HD textures which are much larger. iirc, skies are 256x128


I used one I made of 256x256 on photoshop png for the orange-like color of the clouds, Put Clouds on top and the one I made on mid no transparent looked it works but I get this ugly thing each 90 Degrees, I happened again before I created this custom texture of one color. Used Doom2.wad on Doom UDMF format

http://www.2shared.com/file/0G9GQeik/Killer.html

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vw5r1x.png

Share this post


Link to post

hey, Thanks a lot for the answers, I Really appreciate it, I read that I can scale textures if I add them to TEXTUREx, when in in doom builder 2 how can I do that? (of couse I did the configurations on the wad file with slade 3)

Edit: Also, I've been recompiling a lot of textures that I could use, but the Wad file would be very big (about 30mb) with sprites and textures in it, so my question is:

In DB2 I can add these Textures as resources (this is more convinient for me cuz orginizing them), but after making the map, does this get saved on it? or In order to play it DO I have to provide the Textures in a wad or file?

Do I have any possible option using that Pack of Textures as resource on DB2 without trying to difficult anything?

Share this post


Link to post

I had a look at your map, which looks like this .
Probably not what you were hoping to achieve.

I know, it is tough going at first, so I thought to give you a heads up.
Since you are mapping for the UDMF format, the sky can be improved upon, like this
similar to what you would find in Hexen.

If you want to take a look at the map, you can find it here.

Using textures the way you did, it is extremely difficult to construct a skybox to look like a proper sky.
For a skybox you should use properly designed textures as in these tutorials
tutorial 1
tutorial 2

for example and the map.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been recompiling a lot of textures that I could use, but the Wad file would be very big (about 30mb) with sprites and textures in it, so my question is:

In DB2 I can add these Textures as resources (this is more convinient for me cuz orginizing them and using them in future maps), but after making the map, does this get saved on it? or In order to play it DO I have to provide the Textures in the wad file?

Do I have any possible options using that Pack of Textures as resource on DB2 without having to add the textures used in the wad, without adding it manually later?

Share this post


Link to post

This is from a ZDoom/GZDoom perspective:

If you load a resource wad with sprites and/or textures, for example the resources found on REALM666,



they will be used during the mapping session. When saving the map, the resource names are retained
but the resources themselves are not loaded into your map.

Therefore, when playing your map without also loading the resources used, will result in the checkerboard
or exclamation being displayed where you used these resources.

But 30 MB is a bit hefty. Are you sure that you use all them? If not, then trim the resource wad down, unless
of course it is just for your own use.

Share this post


Link to post
Kappes Buur said:

This is from a ZDoom/GZDoom perspective:

If you load a resource wad with sprites and/or textures, for example the resources found on REALM666,



they will be used during the mapping session. When saving the map, the resource names are retained
but the resources themselves are not loaded into your map.

Therefore, when playing your map without also loading the resources used, will result in the checkerboard
or exclamation being displayed where you used these resources.

But 30 MB is a bit hefty. Are you sure that you use all them? If not, then trim the resource wad down, unless
of course it is just for your own use.


Is it possible to use it on BD2, and then pass all the textures that I used to the wad file? I mean I would like to have them all at hand and don't constrain the creativity

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×